HybridZ

I have an L28et question. Searched

Mauisnow13

If you turbocharge an NA L28 out of a (let's say '80) 280zx, will it produce more power than a '80 l28et? If both engines are stock.

I have seen hp ratings for the l28et at about 186, and the NA at near 170. It would make sense to me that running the stock 7psi on an NA would make more than 17hp. Right?

Just a thought while I'm searching for an engine. I have searched this a couple times, but didn't find much. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I was just wondering.

Thanks for all of the help

both motors have the exact same block, the f54 was on both, the turbo motor has a better head, the p90, it flows better because of the exhaust ports but everything else is the same (other then the pistons and cam). the na would make more power on stock boost but with the p90 and dished pistons the boost can go up higher, safer, making more power. the boosted NA would be more responcive off boost, but on boost, do to the higher commpression it is more prone to detonate

Part of your initial confusion resulted from the difference in the way the 70-78 cars were rated and the 79-83 cars were rated. Although the L28E in the 75-78 Z was rated for 170 horse, the average stock L28E pulls around 120-125 from what I've seen. The rating on the ZXs is much closer to reality due to a mandated change in rating methods.

Part of your initial confusion resulted from the difference in the way the 70-78 cars were rated and the 79-83 cars were rated. Although the L28E in the 75-78 Z was rated for 170 horse, the average stock L28E pulls around 120-125 from what I've seen. The rating on the ZXs is much closer to reality due to a mandated change in rating methods.

Absolutely correct....lets compare apples to apples.

the NA L28 produces 135hp if the hp rating is updated to the same year of specification as the turbo L28 which was 180hp.

Turbocharging a NA L28 and dropping 7psi of boost on it will yield more power that the equivalent low compression L28ET but you have to control detonation.

Yasin

Absolutely correct....lets compare apples to apples.

the NA L28 produces 135hp if the hp rating is updated to the same year of specification as the turbo L28 which was 180hp.

Turbocharging a NA L28 and dropping 7psi of boost on it will yield more power that the equivalent low compression L28ET but you have to control detonation.

Yasin

what would one produce hypotheticaly on say 7psi? 10psi?

This has been posted and discussed but it is vague.

BALLPARK FIGURES:

On the L28ET Stock longblock, turbo, and injection, depending on the exhaust system, you will see anywhere from 10-15HP for every PSI you add in boost up to a certain point. After 10psi total, you better be adding fuel and intercooling.

IF you start with an NA motor, you will make closer to the 15HP per PSI added BUT you will run into the detonation wall MUCH sooner. Guessing around 5psi max with the NA injection?

NOTE: The stock L28ET figures of 180HP are made at 7psi.

also the L28et didn't make it into a z until 81. 81-83 have same block, different pistons as long as it is stamped F54. N42 is your early L28 block. 75-80 L28 = 135 hp, 81-83 na l28 = 145 hp. 81-83 turbo like they said is 180 hp. the difference in the two NA blocks is a bump in compression from 8.3-8.8 when you are looking for where the 10 HP comes in. a result of a flat top piston substitute in the block and a slightly higher volume combustion chamber in the head. the exhaust runners on the P90 don't actually flow any better than the steel linered heads, but the liners don't stand up well to turbo exhaust temps according to braap and as we know, they can't be ported for later mods. all you can do is smooth the aluminum transition after the seat. the real advantage in stock form would be the full circular intake ports instead of the D shaped ports found in the P79/N47 heads. probably not as noticeable on a turbo being it is pressurized though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hey i didn't want to start a new thread but will running 10PSI with fuel and intercooler (which I have but haven't set up), at 9.2:1 be safe and no detonation as long as I get like 91 octane?

I'm planning on putting a E88 on an turbo block with dished pistons.

Should be fine. Just dont go much over wide open throttle at 5000rpms unless you add more fuel up top under boost. The stock fuel system will start leaning out after around 5500rpms and higher than 10psi boost. You will have plenty of power down between 3000 and 4500 rpms.