HybridZ

BRE Replica LD28 diesel engine sale

Today was a good day in Palm Springs. I hit two car shows and three jyds. Can't get any better. If anyone is interested in a LD28 diesel engine, I've located a complete '82 with A/T in a Maxima station wagon in one of my favorite JYs. Price is $180.00 + $45.00 core and California sales tax. You take out the engine. This afternoon it was not cannibalized, but tomorrow, who knows? No liquids seeping out anywhere and no apparent trauma... ie no visible holes in the block. JY manager w/n allow me to take photos. Don't know why. This is located in the Coachella Valley... think Palm Springs, Indio, Highway 10.

The first annual Palm Springs Classic Concours de Elegance was about what one might expect: about 100 with an average sale price of $2.5 million. The prime come see me car was a 1947 Ferrarri race car touted to be the first Ferrari and packing a price tag of $24 million. Not much to look at, but they had the USMC as the obvious body guard. You can check my album for the steering wheel, which is probably worth $900,000.

However, off in the corner were three bone fide race cars and a replica BRE Z that was quite impressive. One of the PanAmericana race Lincolns was present and impressive. To average 90+mph over Mexican roads in 1952 for almost 2,000 mile must have been one scary ride. The Oldsmobile powered "Iron Horse" driven, I think by Ak Miller was there. A hot rod that cleaned up some very expensive sports cars.

The BRE replica was a '70Z, as would be expected. I liked the fiberglas dash treatment, the location of the diferential oil temp gauge, and the set up for a fuel cell located in the tire well. I know its been done before, but it still looks nice.

Here are some BRE photos:

240z_Race.JPG

240Z_Race-wheels.JPG

240Z_Race_Fuel_Cell.JPG

240Z_Race_Diff_Temp_Guage.JPG

Thanks for looking folks.

I can't resist, here's what that super expensive steering wheel looks like.

Ferrari_Steering_Wheel.JPG

If you like more information on the CONTROVERSY about the heritage [blood line] of this Ferrari... is it REALLY a Ferrari, google "Ferrari first pebble beach" and you should have some hits. It appears there is another Ferrari owner claiming the right to primogeniture. The Palm Springs Ferrari might be a BASTARD put together by who knows who out of salvage uncertified parts out of Ferrari's racing bin. Yep, that word was actually used. I guess it does make a big difference if you have a few million riding on the investment potential of having the "first Ferrari". Still the BRE replica crowd was much more interesting. After all "parts is parts".

g

And why would you place an oil temp gauge under the gas cap cover???????

I have to agree with Jerry on this one.

A guage placed out of site, especially where you can't look at it from the driver seat is a waste of money and time to install. To monitor the diff temp only when pulled over just doesn't make sense. It would be better to know the diff temp while moving along to see if there are any problems before they get bad, instead of breaking, getting out opening up the cover for the guage and say "Yep, that thar diff, she's a hot one".

If the ordered gauge had a capillary tube that was too short to plce it up front, placing it in a location that can be seen in the rear view mirrow would be a better location than than under that cover. I actually know a guy that had his gauges set up that way in a Fiero.

From your statements, it appears you guys haven't road raced before. Diff temp is something you usually check after a session, its not something you monitor while on the track becuase its not that important. There's no reason to take up valuable dash space with a diff temp gauge, but the temp is important enough to monitor after a race session. Given that, where Ron placed the diff temp gauge is pretty clever.

Your right I have not participated in sanctioned road races............That doesnt discount me from having practical sense.....I see no point in measuring something after it breaks or over heats. If its important enough to mesure after a race then I'd expect its important enough during one.

Especially when you invest time and money in particiaping in a race. But what do I know.... :)

Gauges under the gas filler door don't make much sense to me either. I'm thinking Ron will set us straight on why the gauge is in the gas filler area, but if I had to guess I'd say it's probably because the original BRE car didn't have a diff temp gauge, and he is trying to keep it original looking.

Your right I have not participated in sanctioned road races............That doesnt discount me from having practical sense.....I see no point in measuring something after it breaks or over heats. If its important enough to mesure after a race then I'd expect its important enough during one.

Especially when you invest time and money in particiaping in a race. But what do I know.... :-)

That's my thinking.

I have total buy in to that consideration. Good point.

Yeah I could see that as being the only reason, but then again, I'd still want it upfront, maybe on a hinged mount that swings down under the dash while on the track, but up out of the way when it's parked for that orginal look.

From what I remember some race vipers store their oil in the back, before theyre turned on they get plugged in to preheat the oil otherwise theyll do some damage to the pump. This can all be watched from the back, and not the front. Some gauges just arent important enough at all or even relevant while driving.

Gauges under the gas filler door don't make much sense to me either. I'm thinking Ron will set us straight on why the gauge is in the gas filler area, but if I had to guess I'd say it's probably because the original BRE car didn't have a diff temp gauge, and he is trying to keep it original looking.

I don't know the name of the builder of this replica, but he did say the gauge was put there because that is where it was placed in the original race car he is duplicating. Only checked by a crew member, whenever it was in the pits. Sounded reasonable to me.

g

I can attest that an R180 differential under endurance racing conditions can get hot enough to melt the plastic vent off the top and still run for miles and miles and miles (Average 85mph for 16+ hours, with only a 20 minute driver/fuel/fluid stop every 2.5 hours). But if you didn't ever check (like during a service stop) you would never know. It's not going to seize up during a race, but knowing what it is doing during the race would be nice---and crewmembers checking it during a fueling stop and reporting to engineering would help. It would also alert them to the possibility that something has come up and gotten meshed in the diffy cooler, and that possibly they should send a man under to run their gloved hand over it and dislodge anything up under there causing a blockage...

Diff temp on a race car is a measurement like barometric pressure to a sailboat. Its important, but a minute to minute measurement is useless. Anyone every get the old sailing joke pulled on them, "You there, go and check the barometer every two minutes and let me know if it goes up or down."