HybridZ

L28 fantasy build

texis30O

I have an oportunity to build a L28 motor...I want to go turbo and get some big numbers.......I am going to try and use a diesel crank so it will be a stroker (maxima crank). I will be getting the motor and crank for FREE....so from there I am not sure which way to go for a head, cam, pistons, turbo manifold, intake.....I have thought about a gt35r turbo and Mega squirt for now untill I can get ahold of a AEM unit or something similar.....

What would you do........lol.......

I have an oportunity to build a L28 motor...I want to go turbo and get some big numbers.......I am going to try and use a diesel crank so it will be a stroker (maxima crank). I will be getting the motor and crank for FREE....so from there I am not sure which way to go for a head, cam, pistons, turbo manifold, intake.....I have thought about a gt35r turbo and Mega squirt for now untill I can get ahold of a AEM unit or something similar.....

What would you do........lol.......

Huh!? What happened to TT's kit? Is this for another car? I'm just about finished with my old TT car.

John

I'm in the same boat as "Geez." What happened to the Turbo Tom kit? I'm in the process of building a turbo L28 engine and I'm leaning towards a carburated turbo set-up (for "Old School" nostalgia). What happened to the kit? Is it for sale?

Julius

If i coud get a specific year i could check my local pnp. We have close to 30 Z's there 240,260,280,280zx and 300zx's we should have a few maximas.

Googled a bit and found a few years. I will look next time i go. How much do these run for? If they have a few i will take them all.

It is okay....I have the TT kit alive and well on the car....minus a few hickups ( needs new plug wires and a new t-stat) I started her up for the first time in a few weeks this past weekend. I am starting to think of this for another 240....Yes I have the bug, bad. So bad that I think I am going ot get another motor build going before I have a shell to put it in....I am trying to get the motor and drivetrain sictuated and then find a good shell. I know where I can get a unmolested 77....but it will be a while till I come up with the cash for it....I would like to build this motor in anticipation of this next Z.....I have a few hurdles to overcome before I purchase this car but I can at least have the motor waiting to go in.......

Stroker bottum end (as you said), Ported P90 head with a web or Isky cam, all associated head work, nice set of forged rods, Megasquirt, BW or other brand nice sized turbo, Direct port Methanol injection, 50-100 shot to spool the turbo, Custom intake and exhaust manifold, Forged internals, 8:1 compression, Pallnet fuel rail with 700cc injectors, all associated gauges and wideband to monitor your new motor.

Custom plate set-up that allowas you to run a gm tranny such as a th350 or glide....If an auto isnt your thing you could save alot of money and go with the Z32 tranny and Mazworx adapted or Hoke's if he has any left.

A set-up like this could put out 550+ if its tuned and built right..and as long as the fuel system and other supporting parts are up to snuff.

550rwhp in a Z is Alot...I would personally build the chassis and suspension to handle the power and then work on the motor.

It would depend largely on what you want to do with the car...

Are you going to go hunt supras on the freeway?

Are you going to go throw pieces of tire at miates on a auto x course?

Are you going to go show drifter kids that an old chassis can hang?

Are you going to go try to out 60' John Force?

Name the cars intended purpose, and the motor/driveline should be built around that.

It would depend largely on what you want to do with the car...

Are you going to go hunt supras on the freeway?

Are you going to go throw pieces of tire at miates on a auto x course?

Are you going to go show drifter kids that an old chassis can hang?

Are you going to go try to out 60' John Force?

Name the cars intended purpose, and the motor/driveline should be built around that.

:D I would go with all of the above

It would be as all around as possible. I would like to hunt supras, go to the track and show up my buddy at SCCA events, and have it be able to be driven on trips to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.......I know that I will have to give up certian things to accomplish others....that is a given.....

I would have AZC coilovers, Wilwood kit (front and rear), strut tower braces, lower control arms, AZC mustach bar for a R200 or R230 rearend. I am not sure on the tranny.......It would have a ORIGINAL IMSA widebody kit. Carbonfiber hood Maybe fiberglass doors, the body kit and bolt-ons are already there on a shel I am looking at......

At the stocton p&p there is 30 Z's!?!?! Man i need to go there!

If i coud get a specific year i could check my local pnp. We have close to 30 Z's there 240,260,280,280zx and 300zx's we should have a few maximas.

Googled a bit and found a few years. I will look next time i go. How much do these run for? If they have a few i will take them all.

It would be as all around as possible. I would like to hunt supras, go to the track and show up my buddy at SCCA events, and have it be able to be driven on trips to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.......I know that I will have to give up certian things to accomplish others....that is a given.....

I would have AZC coilovers, Wilwood kit (front and rear), strut tower braces, lower control arms, AZC mustach bar for a R200 or R230 rearend. I am not sure on the tranny.......It would have a ORIGINAL IMSA widebody kit. Carbonfiber hood Maybe fiberglass doors, the body kit and bolt-ons are already there on a shel I am looking at......

Then my answer to you is a P90/F54, LD crank, 9mm rods, 240sx forged slugs, all ARP hardware, coated bearings, pistons, and combustion chambers. With a reworked head sitting on top obviously, though i think the valves could stay stock, a turbo cam and a beefed up valve train for higher RPM operation.

Custom intake/exhaust manifolds, all coated, wrapped, and shielded for duration operation.

Your trade off will come in the turbo, as big top end power will hinder your short track abilitys.

Meth injection and a little nitrous for boost dependant situations, good radiator, good intercooler, good oil cooler, just lots and lots of cooling support. Your motors work stress will be excessive on tracks and top end racing, so everything you can do to keep it in check, should be done.

Trans, if your going to autocross, go top end, etc... i'd say opt for the Z32 trans. If you were strictly drag racing and going between citys i'd say an auto is fine.

If your not doing the build yourself, i'd suggest you take it to a shop that knows Z's well, as you will be putting alot of stress on the chassis, and it needs to be done right.

I am in Humble... Well now that I have a tenative shopping list I shall start reading till my eyes go cross. I will be able to build the motor myself and all of the appropriate plumbing. The chasis work will have to be done by my uncle or a shop. I see this project kicking off in a year, but for now lots of parts research.......

I still have my TT 240 and will try to finish up the mechanical glitches that I have on that before I start knee deep into this next one. I think I can at least get the block cleaned up, install the crank, and find a head and start the part sourcing for all of the above...

Thanks for the help guys. I have been reading up on the different head design and I think I am starting to get it straight....

Hey guys,

Not trying to thread jack or anything but...I have a Turbo Tom set up as well. Although mine is in pieces at the moment. I got mine from another member here and it has been modified for lots of HP.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was enough interest, could we get a forum or sub-forum for us old school TT guys. Include any carbed turbo guys.

I am having a hard time finding much techincal info about the old turbo tom stuff.

How many members are running one?

Thanks,

Jason