HybridZ

1983 280Zx was parked for 10yrs it use to star now it won't need help please

Ghost78

I bought a silver 1983 Zx turbo from my boss for $200. Was sitting for ten years. Got the Zx four years ago. Have problems and still have problems into getting it to run. I remove the A.A.C. valve and pour alittle fuel and the car started. It die no later than a minute. Repeat the process and kept the car runing if the gas throttle was hold. The Zx begin to fire up so loud and loss power and complete die out. Change the FUEL PUMP, FUEL RELAY, CLEAN THE FUEL TANK, AND REPLACED STARTER. Now my Zx won't event star even if I pour fuel in the A.A.C at all. Need help to get it to run. I am running out of options. I am taking collision repair and need this car running to get the body work because Spring quarter will be my last quarter.

are the injectors getting power? if yes how is your fuel pressure? if no then check your links and relay

I change the fuel relay, now about the links please give a little bet more details. I'm new with Zx's models but will fight every minute till my Z is running.:emo:

Could be a bad fuel pressure regulator. That's the piece that makes sure that there's pressure in the fuel system, without fuel pressure the injectors won't be firing much of ANY fuel. Usually they tend to go out slowly, dropping pressure 5-10 psi from normal, till eventually you've got barely any pressure at all.

I wouldn't buy a new or OEM one as they're severly over priced. I'd find a junkyard unit or get an after market one for around 50 bucks, which will be adjustable and perform better anyways.

Check and clean the connections on everything, mainly the AFM, ECU, and TPS.

And i know this sounds really dumb, but check timing. It's amazing how often people either misplace a spark plug wire, or screw up the orientation between the distributor and the oil pump rod that drives the distributor.

You only need two things really to get a car running. Fuel, and spark. Unless you have massive filter issues it'll draw it's own air. As long as you have spark you should be able to get it to run spraying your own fuel source into the intake while holding the throttle part way open. If it's not running at all once you KNOW you have fuel, then it has to be spark and/or spark timing related.

You need 4 things to get the engine running. Spark, fuel, air and correct timing. The good thing is you have spark so the next thing you should check is fuel especially you just messed with it. Unplug the fuel line that goes to the fuel rail and put it into a bottle. Turn the key on/off couple times to see fuel is coming out. If nothing comes out then check the fuel pump connections in the back. If you get fuel coming out of the feed line then the next thing to check is the fuel pressure. I've seen many old Zs, sat for a long time, had the fuel lines half clogged. This will prevent the fuel pump from building enough pressure at the injectors. This will give you the original symptoms. GL

check the part about air flow. after ten years you might have a mouse nest in the air intake system. check battery electrical connections. particularly grounding portion. zx real finicky about voltage you can have enough amps to crank and not enough volts to run the ecu properly. where you at in seattle I"m up north. you can contact me direct krs@whidbey.com

Another thing I was just thinking about:

I usually take off all the intake up to the AFM when I'm trying to get an L series EFI engine running right. You can easily hold/push the AFM flapper to adjust fuel mixture to help it run right.

check the part about air flow. after ten years you might have a mouse nest in the air intake system. check battery electrical connections. particularly grounding portion. zx real finicky about voltage you can have enough amps to crank and not enough volts to run the ecu properly. where you at in seattle I"m up north. you can contact me direct krs@whidbey.com

I live in White Center, by 35 ave and 102.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been on this forum for sometime as I was requesting advices on how fixed my Zx 280. Well I'm going to college so my scheduled is very hactic. I have no time to work on my Z. I have tons of homework and study on top of that I work. I like to know how much is my Z really worth is not running but it was runing couple of years ago till I just decided to parked it in doing so I neglected it. Here are some pictures:

100_3912.jpg

100_3913.jpg

100_3914.jpg

Guest Rolling Parts

Ghost78,

Sadly, yours is another classic example of someone buying a problem car that's been parked for a decade and then throwing lots of parts at it in hopes of hitting upon a fix by complete accident. Not once have you mentioned reading the manual or doing diagnostic testing.

My advice is that what you are doing is not working and you need to STOP it. The way to get these old cars running (the 83 ZX P90A turbo is a particularly quirky Z) is to methodically go through the cars engine, electrical and fuel systems and inspect and test and measure BEFORE making any decisions on replacing anything.

My guess is that it had something went serious wrong to cause the car to be parked for such a long time. Now all the years of sitting have caused lots of other problems (corrosion, gumming, cracks) that also have to be worked through.

Sorry, it will take time to diagnose the real problem and then get all the systems back in shape.

* Electricity: Make sure the battery is okay. Check the voltage on its posts if you've got a multimeter

1) fuel system: Check for gas as far along as you can when you crank. Replace filters, replace gas.

2) Lubrication: Change the fluids and filters. At least do an oil change.

3) Spark: Check plugs, wires, coil, whatever it is. Make sure you've got a nice spark in the cylinder.

Still no go?

Do the dreaded compression test.

Only skimmed through this but before trying to start it you did drain all the stale fuel out and replace it with fresh didn't you? It would have been best to disconnect the fuel line at the engine and pump fresh fuel through it too.

Lots of other things should have been done as well before trying to start a car that has sat for ten years.