HybridZ

How to remove stripped bolt

twinturbos

Hi guys,

was wondering if yall got any advice on how to remove a stripped transmission filler bolt. Last night, my retarded brother in law wanted to help locate the plug. Upon locating it, he decides to use his "trusty and infallible" adjustable wrench...... even when i gave him the right size open ended wrench. So i leave to go buy some MT90 tranny oil, along the way he calls me up and tells me to buy a pipe wrench. First thing i thought was "F**k he stripped it". Sure enough, when i got home, it was stripped beyond all recognition. But being that he and his wrench is "infallible, always right, and im wrong" and its my POS car. I have to find a way to fix it. Needless to say he did and said all of this after a few Lonestars(a.k.a. strong beer from texas). So at this point i was thinking of just spraying with PB blaster and keep on trying to pry it open with a pipe wrench. Any advice is appreciated. But please be positive, last night and this morning has been pretty rough. Also, i cant seem to find a search article on this.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the PB blaster sounds like a good idea. Soak it and let it set for a long time, like over nite if possible. Do you mean a standard tranny? You are trying to remove the fill plug on the side of the tranny? The one with a square head on it? How much is left? it's just mutilated to the point where the wrench will no longer slip on. Then the pipe wrench is probably you best bet. I've never not been able to get them out, but a few have been tough. Maybe a pipe on the end of the pipe wrench. And of course, you maybe could heat it with a torch but be careful!!! don't set the car on fire.

the crescent wrench was what caused the issue in the first place (i dont know why i refer to crescent as adjustable). its a 5 speed manual and yes its the squared bolt on the passenger side of the tranny. Im just really pissed offf bout the whole situation. if he woulda used the open-ended wrench given to him from the beginning, i wouldnt have any probs at all.

If the head is completely fubar, then you might try a pipe wrench. But it won't be pretty, and once you start with that, there's no going back to anything else as you'll completely destroy the head. FWIW, that's how I finally got the filler plug out of my old diff.

TT,

FYI, not sure if this will help!!!

Recently, I saw Rick (Jims Auto & Machine shop) remove a bolt from a 350 block - one of many that holds on one of the heads. The owner broke off this bolt about one inch within the block.

First, Rick drilled out the bolt; required two drilled holds side-by-side, then he worked the remaining piece out with long needle noes pliers. Then, with a Time-Sert kit, he re-threaded the hole using a set-up within the kit and then inserted a thread, which was correct for the new bolt. The company, TIME-SERT, was the same one that we purchased the threads used to convert the hydraudlics to solids (P90a head in my 280zxt).

Check: Toll free (800) 423-4070.

If the procedure is not the same, I be bad!! Not the first time!! Good luck with your task.

john

I like Vegasnative's idea as well if you have a welder, but I usually weld an old 1/2" drive socket onto it. Then you can use the 1/2" breaker bar to turn it. If you don't have a welder, the car should still be drivable, since the old oil is still in there right? drive it to a muffler shop and see if they'll do it for you.

If you have use of a welder ,weld another nut onto it .Just weld up the center of the nut. If no welder try nut with jb weld

This is what I was going to suggest, I've used this technique many many times successfully. On the more difficult bolts it sometimes too welding on a few nuts (or other bolts), because they would sometimes break off. This was usually on smaller bolts that didn't have much material to weld to, however.

• Administrators
You'd need a pretty big nut, but welding it on is the best way to go. Also, the heat from the welder often breaks things loose due to rapid expansion. It has always worked for me when I snap off a bolt. Good luck!

Yeup. good advice. Agree 100%

Stud remover tool from snap on. There is a similar looking tool that channel makes. That tool will snap the head off or that bolt will come out.

Saw it in actions years back. The harder you try the tighter the grip gets on the bolt.

Looks like a pair of channel locks, with odd shaped jaw.

Was considering welding today, but theres some oil reside around the engine. i dont want to cause a blaze and lose my hair like MJ did in the 80s.

Hey wodson, do you have a link to that tool? i ordered the replacement bolt today from nissan for $5.84, so i need to remove that part AsAp.