HybridZ

VW, Should I BUY?!

BSD

Well, I think I decided I might buy this VW for a daily driver, I used to own a 90 Jetta wolfy back in the day, really awesome cars.. great mileage, and do have some giddy up.

The olds is just... Old.. 20mpg ftl.. I will miss that car though.

Any VW fans around?

I'm deciding between a..

87 Jetta Wolfy 2-door!! 5-speed with 74k for 1k ( white )

91 Jetta Wolfy 4-door AUTO.. ew.. with 50k for 2k ( grey )

91 Golf GTI 5-speed 120-130k for 1k ( black )

Oh.. the decisions!

Leaning towards that 87 Jetta, I never see 2-door wolfys.. hmmm..

So you posted asking for advice on what you should buy, but it sounds like you don't want advice. You want people to agree with your decision to buy the "wolfy" :roll: edition VW Jetta...

Proxlamus gave you some real good data to make an educated, not emotional decision... Maybe you should go back and edit the title to more accurately reflect the desired response?

Mike

Well, they are stupid.

I used to have a 1990 wolfy jetta that had 254,000 miles, never had a problem really.

I bought the 87 2 door, it runs amazing!

So you posted asking for advice on what you should buy, but it sounds like you don't want advice. You want people to agree with your decision to buy the "wolfy" :roll: edition VW Jetta...

Proxlamus gave you some real good data to make an educated, not emotional decision... Maybe you should go back and edit the title to more accurately reflect the desired response?

Mike

Well, I was asking Which one I Should buy, maybe I should be more descriptive. As far as the reports go, I do regular maintenance to all my cars, which should be expected out of an automobile owner. I can understand Certain cars getting some bad reports, ( German.. and especially British vehicles, also their parts are typically more expensive, but a friend of mine works for VW, so I get parts relatively cheap. )considering half the people around here don't even know how to change oil... Hell! I knew a girl who thought an oil change was draining your oil, and putting the SAME oil back in the car! LOL

Challenger, yes I do post hm on almost every post, good catch! lol

bsd-i would not presume that most people on this board dont change thier own oil-i would say that they probably do or if they dont its just to avoid the hazmat problem.as far as vw-the vw you know and love is a totally different animal today.my brother had a 2002 jetta v6 5speed for awhile.put 80k miles on it.the starter was squeeking because of a starter drive problem and he had problems with power door locks and windows.another friend had a turbo beetle and a turbo impellor vein got loose and wiped out the whole engine.the interior pieces are known to rattle.my girlfriend's 20 year old daughter has a cheap hyundai (year 2002) and has has needed nothing but tires & brakes& fliters in 70k miles.check consumer reports.also if you want to work on a late model car you will soon learn its best not done at home.ps-i am an ase certified master auto technician

I understand, but we are talking about a MKII VW, not a MK4 or MK5, but yes, their are Some problems with them, as well as any new vehicle. Oil change wise, I said most people Don't know how.. i'm sure everyone on this forum knows how, but they might not want to do it.Also.. my Jetta is a 8V CIS, i'm sure you understand how CIS works, and how easy it is to work on, considering Everything is mechanical.

Based on my experiences with VW's in my family and friends circle ( about a dozen VW's of all vintages), I have seen a rash of electrical problems, rattle problems, clunk problems, and quirky brakes. I have never seen one disabled or stranded, but I do hear a lot of complaints to those problems I listed. My opinion, based on experience, is that they can become quirky cars with small problems, and frequent unplanned trips to the dealer even at low to middle mileage on the odometer. If that doesn't bother you, and most VW fans aren't bothered by this stuff, they are cars that will go for many miles and probably won't ever strand you.

Choose wisely. Sometimes the most reliable cars are just too boring. I understand that too.

Based on my experiences with VW's in my family and friends circle ( about a dozen VW's of all vintages), I have seen a rash of electrical problems, rattle problems, clunk problems, and quirky brakes. I have never seen one disabled or stranded, but I do hear a lot of complaints to those problems I listed. My opinion, based on experience, is that they can become quirky cars with small problems, and frequent unplanned trips to the dealer even at low to middle mileage on the odometer. If that doesn't bother you, and most VW fans aren't bothered by this stuff, they are cars that will go for many miles and probably won't ever strand you.

Choose wisely. Sometimes the most reliable cars are just too boring. I understand that too.

One benefit of mine is the fact that is mostly mechanical, but I will admit, they do have their little quirks. I haven't had any real brake problems yet, but the car only has 74k on it. My one complaint about the car is changing the exhaust.. mmmmm...As far as cars being boring, I can't agree more! My last car was as exciting as dirt, but it did sound cool. :)

That's the one I'd have picked, since I've never seen a 2 door Jetta, and I also may be a bit biased as both my parents drive mk2 Jettas. What's scary is my dads Jetta is only a year older, but has a full 400k miles more than yours does. Makes me wonder if the PO ever drove it...

474k?? Wow.. good deal.I know, I have never seen a 2-door in real life, so I guess that was more of a convincing reason to get it.. plus the interior is Mint! Everytime something started to get old she got it replaced with a new part. =]But yeah.. It has 74,173 miles now... Had to do a bit of cruising. *thumbs up*