HybridZ

280z 240z DIMENSIONS FRONT SWAY BAR

What is the standard diameter of a 280Z front sway bar? I've pulled a front suspension from a late 280 and the front sway bar looks enormous compared to my 71 Z bar. The rubber bushing will fit around a 1" inch bar and that appears to be the diameter of the sway bar.

I want to know if I have the stock bar or an aftermarket piece. Lots of information of sways bars, but nothing relating to the stock diameters. I note that some bars are 23 and 24 mm in diameter.

g

:flamedevi The one inch bars mostly come from the aftermarket. You were right about the size you gave for stock sizes. I have got a couple of one inch front bars. They go bigger then that, if I remember right you could get them in 1&1/4" size and special order 1&1/2" size for racing. Anything bigger than one inch you had to reinforce the frame to keep it from twisting itself apart. Good Luck, Rich.:icon6:

:flamedevi The one inch bars mostly come from the aftermarket. You were right about the size you gave for stock sizes. I have got a couple of one inch front bars. They go bigger then that, if I remember right you could get them in 1&1/4" size and special order 1&1/2" size for racing. Anything bigger than one inch you had to reinforce the frame to keep it from twisting itself apart. Good Luck, Rich.:icon6:

When first getting into Z's I read about those big American front ARB's so went and got a custom 1&1/8" (~27mm) one made. It was crazy, so stiff that the car virtually had a solid acting front axle and would lift one wheel on uneven ground.

Thats if the body didn't twist enough to accomodate it :)

I'd say the 1" is an aftermarket bar. If you increase the spring rates, this will help reduce the detrimental effects of a stiff bar on the frame rails (tearing and cracking).

Oh, and BTW, I'd like to buy a 1 1/8" bar if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

• 1 year later...

Taken from a Nov/Dec '92 Grassroots Motorsports article: 240Z-front 16mm and added a 20mm rear in '73 and later 260-280Z. 260-280Z had 18mm front bars with the mentioned 20mm rear. 260-280 2+2 had 20mm front bars with 20 mm rear bar. hope this helps