HybridZ

Volvo brake swap questions

No I haven't , I was down the wreckers to find the calipers, and found that there were both calipers for vented, and non vented discs. As people have said on the forum that the volvo calipers are bolt on , most people must use the non vented type. My Question was, do the vented type fit with a disc off something else? I have searched the forum and found nothing , but maby I am serching with the wrong titles.

Is it a problem getting good pads for them?

Thanks Col

"Is it a problem getting good pads for them?"

That was my question!! There is no use(in my opinion) to bolt on a caliper that nobody makes high perf brake pads for. I've never heard of using Volvo calipers, but I am by no means an expert all the cross fitting options. I would identify the Volvo you are pulling the calipers off of and head to your brake pad supplier and see what is available. If it is a vehicle that is not performance oriented or there is not a need for HP pads, I believe you would wasting your time and money. Than I would look into what rotor fitment you will need.

Then if its feasible and cost effective I would go ahead with the purchase and have some fun working on the Zed!!

I have read on these forums before abuot the common swap of volvo calipers. Except from you there have been no other posts ,so maby I posted it wrong, as when I look in the new post section the thread does not come up ,It only comes up when directly serching the brake,wheel suspension area.

What do you think?

I think the main issue is that as far as OEM brake replacements go... the Toyota units are MUCH more popular than the Volvo units. Even the Ford Cobra units are probably more popular. I have never heard of a Volvo upgrade in my 3 years of posting on HybridZ, but that definitely does not mean it doesn't exist and it does not mean it is a bad modification. Just my thoughts as to why you aren't getting much response at all.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found the volvo swap to be a comon swap for rally cars from 1600 ,right through to 240z. It is a money thing as there are better brakes.( really only the weight, as they are cast). But from what I can find . The non vented caliper has a bolt space of 76mm, same as a 1600 to 180b. With this strut you put the 280zx vented disc on, and the vented volvo caliper bolts straight up , easy 4 spot vented upgrade.

Not so easy if you have the 90mm spacing, unless you are willing to go back and find 1600-180b struts to bolt in.

I have been told some early 240z have the 76mm gap.

Also if you don't wan't vented .There are non vented volvo calipers that just bolt on with standard non vented disc.(76mm)

The volvo caliper fits on the 180b strut:)

the caliper does not line up with a 280zx disc:sad:

So I'm looking for a disc that has about 10-12mm less offset from the mounting bracket to the inner side of the disc.

I’ve looked into using the Volvo calipers on the S30 but the “dual feed†brake line requirement makes it more of a hassle than the Toyota calipers. But the Datsun Roadster guys are using them:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.VolvoCalipers

Here in the USA, the Toyota calipers are just more common in the junk yards as well.

Volvo_calipers_thumb.jpg

Ok then Richard what options are you talking about?

I dont know of any other 4 spot calipers that bolt on except the hilux, and they are much more weight.

I can't recall the exact weight, but I think the Toy calipers for the solid rotor weighed out at 2 lbs heavier than the stockers. I was pretty shocked when I figured that out.

I have not heard of the volvo caliper swap in more than 10 years. I do recall that depending on which caliper (the one for the stock 240 discs) are only a minor upgrade from the stock nissan calipers.

It is an old school budget swap. For the price and effort, and more recent techology, there are much better swaps now with better documentation.

I am not saying they are not good brakes, it is just a swap more common 20 years ago.

Good luck.

I was going to mention IPD also, they're a great company and have some of the best customer service out there. They've been making and selling Volvo performance parts since the 60's, they know their stuff.

Ok then Richard what options are you talking about?

I dont know of any other 4 spot calipers that bolt on except the hilux, and they are much more weight.

I'm not familiar with the weights but the only worthwhile bolt on front swap that I know of is the Toyota vented. Even that is getting dated as far as current braking standards go, it is not done much anymore as far as I know.

The Arizona Z kit seems to be excellent value for money, I know of two kits that have been bought locally to me but not fitted yet.

Ok guys ,the caliper is heavy compared to alloy ones. The volvo is much more compact and lighter than the hilux.

As far as the Technology in the new calipers, please let me know what you are talking about. A caliper that does not flex ,and has pistons and pads equal to another ,will slow the car exactly the same. The only technology, is in reducing weight and not getting too much flex.

I do believe weight reduction especially unsprung, is important. But at the moment I would rather have better stoping power ,at the expense of handling.

In the future I hope to get a set of brand name light calipers , just not now.

To solve my problem at this moment is to find the disc with the least modification possible.So far the 280zx vented caliper with a spacer to push it back towards the strut or Magna verada, and get it machined.Possibly another disc.

Thanks