HybridZ

Rear Locking Louvers: Stock? Rare?

Buma

Not stock. They look exactly like ones I had maybe 20 yrs. ago.

They wern't rare then but maybe now.

Over a period of time when louvers like these were more popular, I

may have had 3 different styles but liked the style of yours best because

they fit cleanly inside of the hatch window trim.

:-D The louvers were never a stock part. They were always a add-on by most of the dealerships to increase the price of the cars. Also a lot of people added them after the sale to keep the heat out and from people seeing what they were carrying in the back area. I have four sets of them on the back porch from cars that I have stripped and sent to the car junkyard. There seems to be two different styles out there. The one you have (inside the window) and the other set, it sets on the outside of the rear window frame. Your style came both as locking and nonlocking. Hope that helps, Rich.:icon6:

if by lock, you mean sliding lock like a cellar door lock (the word escapes me right now), then I got one of those too.
I don't *think* that's what he means. My parents 280Z Has louvers on it with a small lock on the bottom, that is locked/unlocked with a small, plastic key. I think that's what he's talking about.

I don't *think* that's what he means. My parents 280Z Has louvers on it with a small lock on the bottom, that is locked/unlocked with a small, plastic key. I think that's what he's talking about.

I may have that too. havent' checked =/

I have the louvers but off the car. The product was made by a San Antonio, Tx company called Kobel. When I tried to order parts from them about 10 yrs ago, they had to look up the product to make sure they still had the items. They are great to shade the biggest sun soaker and vision was very good. I haven't tried to look them up again. They were sold thru the old J.C. Whitney and was shipped directly from the factory. This is the only way I found who they were. The are aluminum and are not heavy. If this is a real issue I can weigh mine with all the parts. The hinges are plastic and will break when lifted too much. The attachment points (sheet metal) are slid thru under the rubber into the window channel underneath. They didn't rattle. I had no issue with them except the hinges broke. I might use it again, when I get my daily driver finished. The key was/is metal.

^^ That's the police zcar isn't it? :)

I'm surprised you know about that. Hardly anyone does.

How did you find out?

titlev3pn3.jpg

To be honest with you, to my knowledge the car was never a Police car, it was simply in the impound for so long that ownership was transfered to the police department and then it was sold at auction.

Though I like the fact that my title has APD as the original owner.:mrgreen: