HybridZ

Narrowed Ford GT diffuser

Here's a shot of the Ford GT diffuser after I narrowed it for the Z. I will cut into the rear valance and set the horns up into the valance. Then carry the stripes through the diffuser. The leading edge will be above the lower edge of the rear control arms and the lower edge of the differential. I know not all the benefits of a true flat bottomed car, but I like it and I think it looks good.

Bill

SSC_0043_thumb.JPG

The color is actually Viper Race Yellow, with white stripes. I put gold pearl in the clear and now for the new paint job it will get diamond dust in the clear also. The new 15 gallon aluminum fuel cell lets me mount things tighter under body than the original tank would have. Thanks for all your comments, I think it is going to look great. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it hung and more when the paint and everything is finished up.

Bill

diffuser1_thumb.JPG

Here is a shot of it in place, once tucked up into the final mounting place the sheet metal between the strakes will be flush with the bottom of the valance. Matching my stripes through the curved strakes will be a job for my line lasers.

Bill

SSC_0042_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to thread jack, but on my WRX, I put a STI diffuser under there and it helps keep the back of the car cleaner and a little more stable. But, I bring this up because the Subaru part is very cheap and might be easy to work with. Here is a picture below

DSC00215.jpg

I don't mean to thread jack, but on my WRX, I put a STI diffuser under there and it helps keep the back of the car cleaner and a little more stable. But, I bring this up because the Subaru part is very cheap and might be easy to work with. Here is a picture below

DSC00215.jpg

How did you measure the effect of the diffuser after installation?

How did you measure the effect of the diffuser after installation?

By sight and butt dyno.

Visually, the back of the car doesn't get as dirty as quickly. I drive the same roads and park in the same spot day in and day out. Also, when I am driving in the rain or snow, the back window and bumper don't pile up with snow like before (without the diffuser).

By butt dyno, I used to drive this section of road between LA and Phoenix all the time and there are a couple stretches that I enjoy doing some high speed runs. I noticed that the car's butt feels more planted and doesn't have the wiggly butt effect when the diffuser is on. I did the drive 2 times in 2 weeks, once with, once without. Both days had similar wind conditions and temperatures. Nothing else on the car changed to my knowledge such as suspension settings, tire pressure, or actual hardware.

I would assume that Subaru wouldn't add a piece of aero gear to their STI if it didn't do anything. The STI benefits from a complete bottom cover set that goes from front to back, the other impreza models depending on trim level get some or none.

By sight and butt dyno.

It looks like it's too high off the ground to really have the effect that a diffuser should have, based on the wind tunnel testing that I've read about in Racecar Engineering and elsewhere. I'd like to see some hard numbers from cfd or a wind tunnel to prove it's effectiveness.

The ride height of my wagon is a little lower than that of an STI. I would assume that Subaru would engineer their product to be effective at the height at which the car is delivered... but I'm not an aero engineer, so I am just guessing that parts like this aren't installed for the fun of it.

For keeping the back of the car a little cleaner from dirt, snow and rain, it is noticable for me. The top of the tailgate where it meets the glass used to collect lots of road grime and dust. Now, that spot is even like the rest of the car.

For the stability effects, there is a change once the car gets above 80mph or so. It's not one of those changes like from a really loose rear end to massively planted, you might just notice that the car feels a little more confident.

But again, I have no data to back it up, and since the STI was not offered in a wagon for 2006, I can't compare the two... and a sedan comparison is most likely not fair since the STI model has a massive wing, rear vane spoiler and more underbody aero parts.

I think if anything, it smoothens the air as it leaves the undercarriage and that should be worth something.

I would assume that Subaru would engineer their product to be effective at the height at which the car is delivered... but I'm not an aero engineer, so I am just guessing that parts like this aren't installed for the fun of it.

I would assume they would sell anything they can make money on.

I would assume they would sell anything they can make money on.

Well, they are something that Subaru currently competes with, so there may be something to it. I've heard claims from Mitsubishi/Subaru on their aero testing and the top-end version's slightly better cd/stability from such things. I'll see if I can dig the stuff up. If you'd seen the underside of an STi without it, you might not be quite as doubtful of it's "help". That being said, I know I certainly won't claim to be able to notice a difference on public roads... :-)