HybridZ

We don't need no stinking paint or body panels...

Warren

I work in the innovation group of a large corporation. Stuff like this is what sparks ideas. The answers are rarely there. It's the questions that spark toughts. It's great thinking, somewhat outside the box.

Laundromat Carwash.

G - Geometry and Function

IN - Infinte

A - Adaptation

Here's an idea. Make the skin subframe flexible in the right areas so that it deforms under aerodynamic forces to "shape itself" to cut into the wind better.

Kind of opposite (but similar) to Cygnusx1's idea...

What if the material properties could change instantly, to stiffen the skin in case an object is encountered. Maybe by the forces from object itself, or using proximity sensors and electrifying the skin...kind of like what happens with shape memory alloys. (Not that you'd ever crash one of those babies ;))

I believe one of the premises behind the idea is to eliminate the need for a hard outter skin...and let the car's exoskeleton take the shock by placing hard parts in strategic places to protect the occupants, kinda like shrink-wrapping a roll cage.

Great idea. I would gladly chosing 2 hours of a reskin 3000 for paint or hours fixing a dent. Plus you probably save 150lbs. I would think that there would have to be some hard panels in high wind load areas but that could be located just under the skin. I know the possiblities of the customer changing the car is just about endless. Great idea.