HybridZ

New paintjob for my .308

Z-TARD

missing the orange tip :P

actually that would be pretty hillarious to do for a gun like that.

LOL. I'm pretty sure there is a law against that. If nothing else, I might end up on the local 10:00 news :)

NY city mayor Bloomberg has banned the paint that I used, called DuraCoat, from his city for just that reason. In response, the company produced a new line of colors just for him :) :

http://www.unitedarmsonline.com/Services/DuraCoat/bloomberg-colors.html

Some quick grass and leaf overlay & sprays from the local flora, and you'll be fully bubba'd. Looks sufficiently evil to scare a Sacto bureaucrat. :twisted:

I intended to use this just as a base coat for a more complex camouflage scheme, but the single color look is kinda growing on me. I should have painted it in a nice non threatening color, like Salmon, or perhaps some kind of Paisley pattern, to make it less evil looking. As it is now, clearly too evil for the peaceful utopia of California, Heh Heh Heh.....

Thats on track to that flat earth colour the military is trying to develop. Its not shiny and blends into almost every environment...especialy the desert.....

But they dont want paint..they want PVD coatings for wear protection. Paint chips.

NY city mayor Bloomberg has banned the paint that I used, called DuraCoat, from his city for just that reason. In response, the company produced a new line of colors just for him

my only question is simple. what does a civilian do with such a weapon?

Let's drop the politics or this goes to the shed.

my only question is simple. what does a civilian do with such a weapon?

Some people meditiate or practice yoga to relax. Some people shoot steel plates at long range for relaxation. I tend to fall into the latter group. Technically speaking, I'm not exactly a civilian either since I am in the Navy, although this is my own personal rifle and not military issue. Like civilians in California, I have to follow the law to ensure it remains legal to own within the state. The magazine is limited to 10 rounds in capacity, and the magazine release must be manipulated using a tool to remove the mag from the rifle. Appearances aside, this rifle is no more dangerous than most semi automatic or even bolt action hunting rifles.

Thats on track to that flat earth colour the military is trying to develop. Its not shiny and blends into almost every environment...especialy the desert.....

But they dont want paint..they want PVD coatings for wear protection. Paint chips.

Good eye, the color I used is Magpul Flat Dark Earth, to blend in with the buttstock and pistol grip. In a rare moment of logic, I used google earth to help select the color to use. Probably a good 70% or more of the ground here in the southwest U.S. matches up very closely with the FDE color when veiwed from altitude.

There's really no point to having the rifle blend in to surroundings out here, as if I'd be running covert ops out here or something, LOL. From a practical standpoint though, the lighter color soaks up much less heat when sitting in the sun than the original black color did. The surface is also much easier to clean now than the original manganese phosphate finish, dirt just wipes right off now.