HybridZ

Racer Brown Cam # 's meaning?

madkaw

please report back to us on what they say.

it was my understanding when the principal died and the doors closed in SoCal, that his reminaing inventory of Datsun Cams were bought by another Datsun Vendor still in business. I have seen Datsun Competition part numbers on R.B. Cams, but it's my understanding this current group disavows any recollection of ever doing any work with Datsun Comp, Nissan Motorsports, etc...

I see that site has Chevy cams....

Maybe this is like the 'new Bugatti' or 'Indian Motorcycle Company'...

I would be interested in the 'evolution' of the company since the principal's passing/original shuttering of the business.

I have to correct that, in that the new company doesn't recall work with BRE. I was mistaken in their disavowal of NISMO and it's predecessors. Later NISMO components were the Isky Assymetric Grinds done by Ron Iskendarian in the early 80's from what I have been told.

I will do that Tony(check back). I will post up what they tell me. So you saying that this cam is old stock from Racer Brown. I have never read anything bad on the Z sites about Brown, infact it seems that this is desirable stuff. This cam might have to be saved for a future stroker:-D.

Check out Ray Anderson's "Datsun Motorsports" page (He posts at ZC.C as 'DMS', also older posts as 'raayap') he has some nice links to the old Racer Brown Camshaft Tech Articles...more information than most care to try to comprehend. Sorry I don't have the link here on this laptop, I haven't had the time to import 'favorites' yet. JeffP liked the pages so much he hard copy printed them immediately so to keep them should the site ever go down!

Racer Brown made some good stuff for the Z. Pioneer in the Assymetric Grinds. Racer Brown proper understood the engineering of valve acceleration rates and made cams that took full advantage of an assymetric profile to give more stability with lighter springs, etc etc etc...

This has been relearned by two other prominent Datsun Cam Grinders since R.B.'s passing. The R.B. legacy was up in the air for a good while as his Widow retained rights to the name, etc. The latest iteration of the R.B. Company is former employee who bought the naming rights and carries on, it's covered in the link.

Gee, I never new he passed away. Although I guess it was between 25 and 30 years ago I talked to him. madkaw, I see yours is a SS-55-110 grind. The one I purchased is a SS-54-110. It has a .480 lift and 236deg duration. I have info on his SS-52-110 and his SS-53-110 grinds but nothing on a SS-55-110. The other number on your cam is what Racer called the cam number. I am guessing he assigned each cam that went out the door with a number. Perhaps it was the workorder number or a way to catalog the work for reference.

Racer Brown himself drove a Salt Flats 240Z in class F/GT in the 70's and held that record for awhile.

I just scored that N47 head off E-Bay for $200 that has the Racer Brown setup in it. Springs, retainers, lash pads - the whole 9. I believe based on what was advertised it was a 341-R. From what I can see on the pic, it's a .500/.500 but I couldn't read much of anything else. It's going in my 3.1L stroker in the MN47 head that Paul Ruschman just sent back to me with all his port work. Having oversized SS valves cut in and should be ready to rock and roll in a few weeks.

THAT'S THE LINK!

I know Ray linked from it on his page. It was from down under.

You want to know what makes a Z Car L-Engine's Cam work (or any cam for that matter) read those technical papers!

And remember this was written in the early 70's! Nothing's changed in the engineering, just better metals to withstand higher acceleration rates (but worse oils.....BAH!)

I called the number on the site and found out what the numbers mean:

SS-55= denotes what cam grind

This cam in particular was advertised duration and lift

@.050 valve lift 220degrees

@.025 valve lift 246 degrees

with 1.5 rockers 480 lift

It was said to be a street/slalom cam

575-147= May 1975, 147 cam made

575-147

• 1 month later...

Based on the numbers I found for this Racer Brown cam as far as lift and duration, how does this compare to my (already installed)Schneider Stage 2 cam with it's advertised 480 lift and 274/274? They seem very similiar but it seems that the duration values are attained differently which I don't fully understand. Also, do you think that this Racer Brown cam would be a good canidate for a more radical regrind later down the road? I have read that the original Datsun metallurgy is superior and folks have had good luck with those regrinds, but any opinions on the Racer Brown stuff?

I would guess it's more aggressive than the Schneider, because the Schneider has a reputation for being tiny. It's not just the lift and duration, but the shape of the lobes also that has a huge effect on how the car runs.

I wouldn't regrind the Racer Brown cam because it is already a regrind, and besides you might find someone that wants it just because it is a Racer Brown cam. Junkyard camshafts are a dime a dozen; get another one to regrind. If you can't find one, I think my brother in law still has about 20. You can email him at matmorrow AT att.net. He's in CA but shipping a cam shouldn't be too expensive.

Jon,

As always, thanks for the response and advice. I am trying to decide whether to hold on to this cam or not and think it will be too small for any future projects. The duration numbers baffled me and I want to make sure I am not letting go of something special. I might need to go bigger on the duration if I find that my compression is a little high with head. I know your a big proponent of the larger cams for these motors. I might just hold on to the cam incase I have any problems with my Schneider kit.

Judging from what jmortensen said, and my own impressions, I would want to see the difference for myself.. I suspect that the racer brown cam would be the more desirable of the two.

Did you read any of the articles that TonyD was so ecstatic to be linked to? Something tells me that if Racer Brown wanted a "snappier" duration profile, he wanted it for a reason, and a "street/slalom" designation would indicate a responsive camshaft. It might not be a max power cam, but max power would be more lift than your schneider anyhow.