HybridZ

So it turns out 280zxt axles aren't indestructable.....pics

J Taylor

Went to the track Sunday and made a few passes. Footbraking, I ran back to back 10.5's. The track was hooking well and I brought the car on a trailer so I decided to try out the transbrake for the first time. 1st pass on the brake I left on about 12-14 psi, no nitrous. When the car jumped it caught me off gaurd and it took me a second to go full throttle and spray the nitrous. Still cut a 1.62 60 ft and went a 10.4 @ 133. That felt pretty good so I decided to go for broke on the next pass. I put it on about 18 psi and left full throttle on the nitrous.....BAM. Car didn't even move. WHen I got it home and tore it apart, turns out I twisted the ends off both 280zxt axles right at the splines. I was under the impression these shafts were pretty much bullet proof, but i guess not. Anyone know if the 300zxt shafts are any stronger or do I need to go to the r230 or a solid axle? I'm looking into the solid axle at the moment as I don't like the gearing option of the r230. I would really like to go to a taller gear.....~3.30.

Here are some pics of the axles:

DSC02661.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

DSC02665.JPG

Since it wasn't the CV that broke I think what you'll be most interested in is the material the axle is made from and the diameter. I don't know which is bigger, but Ross @ Modern Motorsports was saying that he could custom make the CV axles and I'm sure he can do 4340 or some upgraded steel there.