HybridZ

What kind of motor oil do you use?

Are there any advantages to a running lighter weight oil in a L28et?

Ive always run 20W50 which is a lot thicker than the oil I run in my wifes CX7, its like water. I think Mazda calls for 5w30. Ive always thought a more viscous oil would allow the engine to rev a little quicker, but wouldnt provide the protection a thicker oil would.

Any thoughts?

rotella 5w40 synthetic.I run it in my dirtbike, hard(think 12,000rpm rev limiter racing through desert like terrain).Alot of people run it in bikes without a problem. I usually change oil every 5 hours but last time i waited untill around 10 hours and it looked the same. Still looked like new.

hmmmm.

Amsoil sounds great, but really... I mean... what's a REALLY RELIABLE source to tell whether or not Amsoil is paying people a lot of money to just push their product?

I would run Amsoil just the same as I run Royal Purple, but is there a reason to switch?

It's all a mystery at this point.

hmmmm.

Amsoil sounds great, but really... I mean... what's a REALLY RELIABLE source to tell whether or not Amsoil is paying people a lot of money to just push their product?

I would run Amsoil just the same as I run Royal Purple, but is there a reason to switch?

It's all a mystery at this point.

One of the things that got me to use AMSOIL over the marketing of others was one of my co-workers, he is a former GSEC (gas turbine Cheif in the Navy) who informed me that the Navy uses AMSOIL (although it goes by a milspec number instead of a brand name) for thier gas turbines in the ships that have gas turbine propulsion. There are more details about that but I won't go into them other than to say I can never abuse the oil as much as these gas turbines do.

Dragonfly

I used to sell amsoil, and use it... I don't anymore...

Mobil1 TDT 5W40 in my Porsche 911 Turbo and Rotella 15W40 in the diesel truck! I'll probably run a 5W50 or 15W50 in the Datsun when it's done.

I'll never sell Amsoil again, not because the product isn't good... I wasn't happy with their "technical" support, or lack there in.

Mike

don,t get too wrapped up in worring about which oil is superior, keep in mind oils main function is to provide a lubracating film and transfer absorbed heat,away from the moving parts, almost ANY of the name brand oils do that well and ALMOST ANY oil will last at least 5000 miles without significant loss of its abilities to do that if the filters used keep the particals in it minimized AND the temp stays in the 190F-250F range. but like I stated earlier, oil needs to get up to 215F at least for a short time to burn off moisture, and above about 240F it slowly brakes down, its the regular replacement with clean oil , to remove the crud from the engine and good filters thats the key!

EVEN if you had the best oil in the world, that could easily last 30K-35K miles the CRUD & acids trapped in the oil from cumbustion,would cause wear and reduce its lubration abilities over time, if the filters don,t remove the majority of that crud the oils life expectancy is limited reguardless of the oil quality itself , and regular replacement is the key