HybridZ

are diesel maximas rare?

• 1 year later...
i want one to put my 3.2 liter stroker in .. so it wil be smog exempt in cali :( u can have the crank I already got 3 of em lol.

If you ever get pulled over with that setup though, god help you.

to the TS: They aren't that common, and the "crank pirates" (as the Diesel maxima community calls Z guys) make them more rare every day. They are essentially bullet proof though (as most old diesels seem to be). It wouldn't be uncommon to get a LD powered maxima up to ~300k on the clock without major problems.

The tide has shifted recently to the point that a running LD28 is worth far more than the diesel crank that will just sit until it rusts up before the owner can get around to finishing the stroker engine.

Putting a stock L28et turbo setup on a LD28 is just enough boost to wake up the engine and cleans up the smoke pretty well.

Great way to get similar to stock performance while getting near 45mpg in the more aerodynamic 280z or 280zx body.

The maxima itself shares many parts with the 280zx though it uses the wheel offsets found on S13 and early Z31 4 lugs so it's easy to replace the skinnys with tires as large as 225/50-15 and not worry about rubbing.

That made me laugh pretty hard....never heard that one before.

I'd never heard it till I went over to the LD forum in preping for my LD28(T) swap, but apparently it's a pretty common feeling. They tend to get pissed when they see a LD maxima in a yard, go for the engine, and discover some Z guy has already nicked the crank :P

in 1981 the Datsun 810 came in two flavors the "Deluxe" and the "Maxima", the name stuck and the 810 nameplate was eliminated for 1982 (also the year the name "Nissan" first appeared).

810/Maximas were popular cars back then, however the dismal performance of the 80hp diesel (available mid 1981),versus the 154hp L24E gas engine (these are Z style "gross" HPs or about 120hp net) in a 3100lbs car made it a very slow seller.

The diesel we look for the popular "stroker crankshaft" was only really available for about 2 and 1/2 years as it was finally dropped due to poor sales for the 1984 model year.

1984 was the last year "Datsun" was on the naneplate (along with "nissan") and was also the last RWD Maxima.

Actually, the people that I've talked to that had diesel maximas thought that the engine was fine, just the car as a whole wasn't that great compared to other offerings at the time *shrugs*.

Plus, remember that unlike most of us Z guys, people that bought maximas probably never really wound the motors up, so the torque of each engine and how it produced it was probably more important than the hp.