HybridZ

Stock trans rebuild strength?

dhp123166

Are 240/260/280/z/x transmissions really that hard to rebuild or more prone to failure than average?

Are most transmission rebuilders competent or was Frank Zappa right when he said ;

"Mediocrity is the standard of excellence in America"

If I want something done right do I have to do it myself?

Please be more descriptive in your titles. We want people to know what the thread is about without having to open it up.

Rebuild on a Z 5 speed books out for 5 hours labor if the trans is out of the car, if I recall correctly. These transmissions aren't that hard to rebuild, you can definitely do it yourself if you have a manual, and I think they are fairly prone to damage if you're not nice to them. They don't explode with a missed shift, but the synchros seem to be on the sensitive side.

For road racing there are few tricks to making them last longer (roll pin mods, shimming, REM treatment) and they can last a couple seasons behind a 200hp ITS 240Z - assuming the driver knows how to shift and is running a good, properly adjusted clutch.

It still amazes me what we see these transmissions deal with here on hybridZ.

Users like garret have killed several, but their power levels and time slips are very impressive.

I'm using a stock 5 speed behind a L28ET which should be pushing around 200-215hp, and big phil is running a stock 280ZX 5 speed behind a L28ET pushing well over 300hp to the wheels, and almost 400 torque. That's a lot of power.

I think it's more about what johnc mentioned at the end of his post.

"...the drive knows how to shift and is running a good, properly adjusted clutch."

When the syncros are in good shape these transmissions shift SUPER smooth too. Once I got used to my new 280Z daily driver, which shifts pretty hard when cold, I got in my 280ZX and I almost thought the shift linkage was broken it was so easy.

The thing is I totally baby my tranny after learning that I do not want to be paying for frigging rebuilds.

I really don't feel like doing it myself either and as my Z is my daily driver

it would not be practical.

I have payed top dollar for rebuilds and it never fails that within six months, something malfuctions.

Yes there is a warranty so I should be thankful for that.

It just seems that I had more luck when I was ignorant and gambling on used or silver spraypainted "rebuilds"...

Hurrah for lifes little ironies...

I have payed top dollar for rebuilds and it never fails that within six months, something malfuctions.

Breedlove used to charge $750 to rebuild and race prep a Nissan B box for road racing. That was 10 to 15 years ago.

Are most transmission rebuilders competent or was Frank Zappa right when he said ;

If I want something done right do I have to do it myself?

I called one local transmission guy looking for syncros. He said he had some that were "good". Because he said "good", I asked if they were used and he said yes but they were in good shape. He wanted $20-25 each. Based on him I would say that some trans guys are not competent. I picked up a set of new syncros from drivetrain.com for $90 and it shifts perfect now. 5th gear is the weakest. Increase torque and things will break.