HybridZ

Harbor Freight Jack Any Good?

JustinOlson

I, also have had one for several yrs. With my front end lowered slightly, I have to use a scissor jack to get the car up to use this jack. It is cheap and for the casual user it is ok. More than that, it is a pain to use. It looks rough but it does the job for me.

It's not as nice as the aluminum jacks, but at least my steel HF jack did not take a dump on me like the aluminum jack did. Actually, biffing the aluminum jack was my own fault because I tried using it for too much weight.

Davy

3" minimum height on this one. I've been using it for 3 years.. got it for $69 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

Ditto, I am on my second one. Someone apparently liked my first one so much, they decided they needed to remove it from the back of my truck bed...

If this had been a 'real' and not a 'knockoff' jack, I would have been much more upset. But I just waited till it went on sale again, and bought another one. Now it sits in the bed on a short length of chain with a lock on it. Sometimes I tether the Rott to it in the back yard, if they take it, they get the Dawg as well. :sour:

That's why mine is in the back of the truck! Hoisting that orange monstrosity along with me was a PITA. I didn't much like the orange jack that was originaly posted about due to a problem I had with mine regarding the hydraulic valve---the star wheel system they used was not the greatest, and mine 'skips teeth'---were they to change that from a star-wheel of a different design, or use the U-Joint like the Aluminum Jack does, I'd be all for it as a stationary jack.

For extra height on the aluminum jack, I use a 4X4 block to move the jackstands higher after the car is settled.

Had a Craftsman steel jack that only lasted a year or two - real POS. Have had a HF aluminum jack for several years and still works good and it is used weekly at least. Even with the low height it's still too tall to jack the front end from under the crossmember ... have to park on a piece of plywood for that with the race tires. Add to the list ... need jacking pads on the rockers ...

Cameron

I bought the US general 4000 pound jack on sale at HF and it only lifted my Z once then died. She was a pretty thing to look at though. Hmmm, Like a girl or two I've known. Anyway, it was blue anodized and polished Al. . Very pretty. I took it back and the manager said they'd had a lot of returns on them ,but that the 3000 pounder hadn't given any problems. Both were the pretty Al. jacks.

I bought a pretty 3000 pounder for a friend for christmas and it has given him good service on his Daytona coupe replica. I purchased a not so pretty 4000 pound Al. jack at Costco for myself for about $100 and have gotten good service from it as well.

I would not go back to those heavy steel jacks after using mine.

• 2 months later...