HybridZ

Interviewing Hybridz members for English! Yay!

KenshinX

Just what the title says. But on to the full details. I am writing a short argumentative English essay for college and I need quotes. Here is where you guys come in. My topic is "Who are Ricers?" and "Why do they act the way they do?" I need as many opinions as possible please share stories and keep it clean please. Simple opinionated answers are fine too. Thanks! Oh and please put your first name and last name initial following your statement.

Ricers - a younger generation of the hot-rodders that came on the scene in the 1950's. Like them they have a desire to customize their vehicle so it is a reflection of their tastes, personality, and abilities. Also, like them, they are misunderstood and criticized by the older generation.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, the instructor wants us to write a short essay on something that is bothering us. I chose the topic of "rice." I thought it would be interesting. She also wants us to include citations or quotes from an interview hence this thread. I could add facts, but I don't want it to be too long its only suppose to be between 300-500 words.

I'd say that the are people that are in the first stages of the car world. I mean they go and watch a movie FNF and they see cars there have body kits stickers and wings, so they think that they have to be like them to be "IN". But in reality they are starting in a bad way. Eventually they will run into some people that will show them the right way and there will be a good chance of them getting deeper into the performance aspect not so much visual part. I have had a few of the "ricer" type friends and i set them straight down the performance road. instead of saving for a 1,000$ body kit one of my friends is saving for a turbo setup for his eclipse gst.

I dont know what i just said, and i just might be in the top 10 here for bad sentence structure and grammer overall.

Rice is a "you know it when you see it" concept. The term is a bit overused and stereotyped to ALL hondas these days. I know some people with some clean looking, and well performing hondas.

One could argue that by definition rice would be universally considered as pointless visual mods, illogical performance mods (huge exhaust with no motor work, loud exhaust with no reason or motor to back it up), attitude, etc. Rice is definitely not limited to imports anymore, though that's where the phrase started (derogatory reference to asians).

I really have to agree with Trumpet... When there's multiple times more money in the body than any other part of the car. And I don't mean spending money to clean up a car (paint, , fixing rust, plugging holes, etc), I mean spending money on things like "super special lights" and ground effects coupled with giant front bumpers and side skirts on a stock height car.

One thing that makes me laugh is when I see a "riced" Honda hatch with a 4" exhaust and 19" rims.... but they still have the stock rear drum brakes..... (C'mon... braking is important if you have an engine that'd need a 4" exhaust :-))

Ricers - a younger generation of the hot-rodders that came on the scene in the 1950's. Like them they have a desire to customize their vehicle so it is a reflection of their tastes, personality, and abilities. Also, like them, they are misunderstood and criticized by the older generation.

man thats it in a nutshell :icon14:

My view of Ricers? People of whatever age, that make visual modifications to any motor vehicle that is intended to provide the appearance of higher then stock performance, while retaining stock performance...

I've seen riced up Kenworth trucks... Lights and chrome and exhausts you can loose a man down, yet they are stock under the shell.

Non rice, but a similiar thing, is I have also heard of a Lancer Evo, that the engine blew, turbo shattered and bits of blade munched the valves and pistons, so the owner did and engine swap. For the basic non-performance base model Lancer engine from the family sedan. Thats not rice, but someone taking a basic lancer sedan and fitting the complete Evo spec body kit to it, Is...

To me a typical ricer is impatient to do things correctly.

"My car doesnt look cool... ooh a body kit for cheap, buy it!!!!"

Not "Hmmm, I wonder how that would look on my car? What spoilers would accent this? How will this affect the driveablility? Will I have busted up bumpers that look like crap after a few days?"

In general it is taking the quickest, easiest, and cheapest route on almost everything even if it sacrifices quality.