HybridZ

On the fence about a turbo

wigenOut-S30

Well, I am going back and forth between 2 turbos. One from Precision 59mm compressor wheel, 60 trim in a to4E compressor housing, Exhaust side is a 62mm wheel 76 trim in a .63 housing. It flows 60lbs permin.. The other turbo im looking at is a GT3076R. I really like this turbo from what I have read. It will spool fast and stay spooled during shifts. Has anyone on here ever ran a GT3076 turbo on a L motor? The precision turbo is about the same as the 60-1 hifi turboes. To me this is a rather large purchase and I just want to make sure I get the one that will last with me.. My goals are 380-400rwhp @ around 20 or so psi of boost. My Z isnt a drag Z but I like taking it to the strip sometimes as well as autocross and just fun twisty roads.. Soon we will have a road course here so I will be doing that as well. So what do you guys think? I have done tons of reasearch and learned a great deal about turboes now.. I have narrowed it down to these 2...... I think.. heh..

Yeah Phil they are great. I have talked with them a few times and got some great advice Great people to talk with... 35R huh phil? man you going for some nice power dude!!

Guys, I hope you have better luck with Ken than I did...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130918

1. He took FOREVER to get me the turbo (like a few months??). Every time I called him he kept saying just one more week, and it was still at the powdercoater. Then finally he said he just took it to the powdercoater :roll:
  2. I asked for a .50 trim compressor housing (so I wouldn't need a spacer) and I got a .60 trim housing instead
  3. I asked for high-temp powdercoating on the turbine housing and got cermachrome instead. :?

It is a pretty nice unit, I'm not too unhappy, except for the coating.

Guys, I hope you have better luck with Ken than I did...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130918

1. He took FOREVER to get me the turbo (like a few months??). Every time I called him he kept saying just one more week, and it was still at the powdercoater. Then finally he said he just took it to the powdercoater :roll:
  2. I asked for a .50 trim compressor housing (so I wouldn't need a spacer) and I got a .60 trim housing instead
  3. I asked for high-temp powdercoating on the turbine housing and got cermachrome instead. :?

It is a pretty nice unit, I'm not too unhappy, except for the coating.

Oh man this is the first bad thing I have heard about peak boost. I will keep that in mind Hugh. thanks for sharing man.. what turbo did you go with? whats the specs?

I'm at the same point. I think I'm going with the Garrett GT35R duel ball bearing with the .63 hot side. Check out this link.

http://www.cheapturbo.com/

I'm also planning on a GT35R with the .63 turbine. Justin Olson recently turned me on to this new HTA GT35 option. It's worth a look.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTGT3582HTA

what turbo did you go with? whats the specs?

T04E .60 trim compressor housing with a .50 trim wheel. T3 .63 A/R turbine housing, stage III wheel. I got the optional "old-style" Ford 5-bolt turbo housing, to accomodate the ATP "Ultimate Internal Wastegate".

It could have been a fluke that I got jacked around...you're right, the guy does seem really nice and helpful to talk to, and the 5-bolt housing fits perfect with the ATP wastegate...

The divided 3076r's turbine housing is very small volume wise. It is difficult to properly build a divided collector for these t3 divided turbine housings.

Alternately, I'd recommend a BW s256 divided t4 turbo over a divided gt3076r. These come in a variety of turbine housings and are very responsive. There is enough room on the divided t4 flange to effectively make a nice 6-2 collector.

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=214_1167&products_id=1905&osCsid=a0c320e64e503a86e0950b9e5e23e268

Gabe:

I have almost come to the same conclusion as far as a GT3076R - but be sure to get the .82 exhaust housing....

The GR3076R looks to be a great match for the L28 engine compared to the GT35R, which seems to be better with a bit more displacement.

Since I am talking about what will be my daily driver, I'll give up a little up top for better response down lower - especially with an automatic...

I am still considering a TO4E 50 Trim compressor and N series (old terminology) T4 turbine, because I have a manifold with wastegate opening below the turbine inlet and a T4 flange on it...

Gabe:

I have almost come to the same conclusion as far as a GT3076R - but be sure to get the .82 exhaust housing....

The GR3076R looks to be a great match for the L28 engine compared to the GT35R, which seems to be better with a bit more displacement.

Since I am talking about what will be my daily driver, I'll give up a little up top for better response down lower - especially with an automatic...

I am still considering a TO4E 50 Trim compressor and N series (old terminology) T4 turbine, because I have a manifold with wastegate opening below the turbine inlet and a T4 flange on it...

Yeah Great deal Brad, I was for sure looking at the .82 housing on the 3076

There's a big difference in price between GTR turbos and journal bearing turbos. On a Datsun budget I would save a buck and run your choice one and spend the rest on something else it needs (they all need something else:mrgreen:) I run a Precision turbo with a GT35R compressor and P trim, .58 hotside. It's journal bearing. If in the L28 power band it comes on fast and probably has more lag than a standard GT35R as the turbine wheel is a little larger.

Brad-man, I have run O trims on 7m's and L28's they come on plenty fast. I can't imagine wanting to run a smaller turbine unless it's for towing:burnout:.

Hey Gabe,

I second what Hugh stated above. I purchased my turbo & external wastegate as noted below from “Phoenix Turbo & MFG”.

The new turbo that was selected was a Garrett T3/TO4E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r housing (Phoenix Turbo & MFG). This hybrid has a stage 3 compressor wheel and a T04E 50 trim a/r w/ .63 turbine housing, which fits the specs of this car. An external TiAL wastegate (38mm), which is normally sold with this hybrid turbo, was purchased from the provider (Phoenix Turbo & MFG).” (taken from my MsPs)

Next, I called the same number and got Ken now “Peak Boost” for the 50mm TiAL BOV. He provided good information the first two calls, then refused to discuss my purchases as an operational unit. Recently, I was in Phoenix and I called the same phone number and asked the assistant for directions to his business. She called Ken to the phone and I stated that I wanted to come by to talk about the purchased combo and he stated that he was not a consultant and he would not come to the door, if I came to his place of business.

I am new to this aftermarket industry, but in my sandbox that is being unprofessional. Enough said.

john

Hey Gabe,

I second what Hugh stated above. I purchased my turbo & external wastegate as noted below from “Phoenix Turbo & MFGâ€.

“The new turbo that was selected was a Garrett T3/TO4E 50 trim w/ .63 a/r housing (Phoenix Turbo & MFG). This hybrid has a stage 3 compressor wheel and a T04E 50 trim a/r w/ .63 turbine housing, which fits the specs of this car. An external TiAL wastegate (38mm), which is normally sold with this hybrid turbo, was purchased from the provider (Phoenix Turbo & MFG).†(taken from my MsPs)

Next, I called the same number and got Ken now “Peak Boost†for the 50mm TiAL BOV. He provided good information the first two calls, then refused to discuss my purchases as an operational unit. Recently, I was in Phoenix and I called the same phone number and asked the assistant for directions to his business. She called Ken to the phone and I stated that I wanted to come by to talk about the purchased combo and he stated that he was not a consultant and he would not come to the door, if I came to his place of business.

I am new to this aftermarket industry, but in my sandbox that is being unprofessional. Enough said.

john

Wow yeah that is very unprofessional indeed.. thanks for the info..