HybridZ

Racing G Nose Or Msa Type 3 Spoiler

I have 2 sets of the datsun g nose, one is a earlier type with the big air dam and the other type you can actually see on this site at the members list,

the one that i have on the car now is has the fancy air dam and looks like it should be functional, but after seeing the test results of the wind tunnel testing of a variety of spoilers, it looks like the msa type 3 had the best results for front end lift, but there is something thats got me baffled,

The g nose that was used in the wind tunnel test is not the same as my

G nose spoiler, my spoiler has a large air dam and the one used in the wind tunnel test does not have this large air dam, im wondering if the large air dam that I have would have been used, would it have generated more downforce.

You know it's kinda hard to guess without pics, but I can tell you this much...

The Gnose without headlight covers on it performed worse than the regular Z with headlight covers. When I say that, I mean that BOTH had stock lower valance type designs with no lower spoiler. I think if you're going to run a Gnose, headlight covers would have to be mandatory. The abrupt verticle surface area of the headlight scoop really didn't do the car any justice in either factory or gnose modded version. This is something no air dam will help correct. Someone needs to make a headlight cover for the Gnose in order for it to be "optimized" to its fullest potential, even with the addition of winglets, spats, canards, or spoilers...

Mike

Guest 280ZForce

regardless, wasn't the gnose for wind tunnel testing just slapped on with no radiator ducting and no front belly pan?

I'm sure this was discussed if you ducted the g-nose properly it would have had significantly better results right?

The gnose headlight covers are out there, they are rare but out there. If I can get my hands on a pair, I can have them reproduced at the shop.

I will get some photos of the g noses that i have and post them, I always have a problem trying to post photos on this site, someone told me that should go to a website called photo bucket, but I still would have to some details on how to upload the photos.

I think you misunderstood my point.

Regardless the amount of radiator ducting, you're not going to overcome the blunt pockets that the extended sugarscoops contribute to the problem that already exists with the OEM scoops at the headlight opening. Covering the OEM headlights made it have less drag. That is a whole different discussion from downforce.

mike

You can't guess at this. We spent a lot of time and members money to conduct these tests. We can only suggest that the Gnose would have performed better than it did, had it been fitted with headlight covers. I base that conclusion on the results from the stock body Z's test with headlight covers, when compared to the Gnose Z without headlight covers.

MSA's Type3 airdam performed very well, and I'm going to run it on my car for that reason. But I will be making modifications and running headlight covers as well.

Mike

A few things to note about the gnose and wind tunnel in general-

Time in the wind tunnel was $$$$, and we had a certain amount of money to work with, so we did tests that gave "the most bang for the buck", so to speak. There were many more combos we could have tried with more tunnel time, but this was an attempt to provide something for everyone.

The gnose was an aftermarket two piece design, and was not sealed back to the radiator crossmember. We did not have headlight covers, or an air dam to fit the gnose. It's likely that the same mods that improved the stock car, sealing the space to the crossmember, adding headlight covers, adding an air dam, etc. would also help the gnose, but we don't know that for sure. It would take more testing of the specific pieces to quantify the changes.

John

All I can say is, if there is a next round, as long as I get my headlight covers back...they're available. I didn't have them at the time of the first test.

That should put this issue to rest once and for all.

We wouldn't consider running the car without the covers at Bonneville. And the rake, accompanied by the G-Nose makes 173.325mph on the short track a 'one handed drive' as long as the rear tires are getting grip and not spinning. Very little sensation of 'lift' as compared to a stock Z, and even less once the radiator opening is blocked off for the F/FALT runs.

I'm with Mike on this one, 'it's useless without photos'... And in any case, it's still a guess without actual testing.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed there input on this particular issue concerning the advantage and disadvantages of having a g nose,

I will be posting some photos by weeks end of my g nose with the airdam,

and another g nose that I have on hand. there is a business in my town that actually deals with making plastics and they can make any kind of design, its a large plexiglass corp and they actually due small custom orders, I will find out some info about them making headlamp cover for the g nose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I would like to thank everyone who contributed there input on this particular issue concerning the advantage and disadvantages of having a g nose,

I will be posting some photos by weeks end of my g nose with the airdam,

and another g nose that I have on hand. there is a business in my town that actually deals with making plastics and they can make any kind of design, its a large plexiglass corp and they actually due small custom orders, I will find out some info about them making headlamp cover for the g nose.

sorry to dig up a old thread but did you ever get any info from the plastics shop?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of the airdam/splitter that Roostmonkey fabbed up for me based on my design. The splitter runs all the way back to the bottom of the radiator, It has since been powder-coated. A radiator air box is next.

The headlight covers were added at the same time. The car is stable at 2X the local limit.

It would have better (aero-wise) if we had made it wider to cover the front wheels and we will likely address these at some point but the idea was to get something on the car to aid the gnose without drawing too much attention to this add-on part.

As many of you already know, Roost is the man....

headlightcovers 001_thumb.jpg

headlightcovers 002_thumb.jpg