HybridZ

Price of maintaining a GTR is crazy

jerryb

Looking on courtesyparts.com they have these prices:

Front Brake Discs.....$1,123.33 (each)

Front pads.............$530.68 (pair)

Front calipers.........$1,667.76 (each)

Transaxle Assy.......$13,690

Wheels.................$1,480 front ea., $1,575 rear ea.

Tires....................not listed

Remember, the GTR is marketed as a supercar...so lots of the parts are going to have supercar prices also. Then again, many parts like these from dealerships for any non-economy car are not too much less in cost. Aftermarket pieces for the GTR aren't crazily expensive in the grand scheme of things unless you are going for some dry carbon aero pieces: http://gt-rr.com/

I don't predict you will the see the GTR offered at "discounted" prices from owners that can't afford to maintain them for a very long time. That car is still pretty limited in #'s and there seems to be a large enough market and demand for them. The price you pay for the performance you get is damn near cheap.

Just for the heck of it I explored the cost of a few NISSAN parts for the new GTR...WOWOWOWOW!

Tranny fluid....$120/L x 12

Front Brake discs....$950 each

Front pads......$860 pair

Tires.....$1000 each ( good for 20000 miles )

Front Calipers.....$2500..EACH!

Tranny/Dif.....$25000

Imagine a basic brake job for $5K....NO THANX!

I get a feeling that when the novelty of owning a GTR wears off and reality sets in....there will be a few GTRs for sale at discounted prices that owners cant aford to maintain.

• 1 month later...

“It’s gone,” said (an anonymous “high ranking Nissan executive”) when asked if launch control would return in 2010. “We just don’t want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It’ll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It’ll be the only R35 with launch control.”

Edmunds »

What does that mean?? Does that mean there will be launch control but you cant turn it off, or... wording isnt great.

From a dealership's view, they have to buy over $100,000 in diagnostic tools and computers specific to the GT-R. Also, mechanics have to be put through a 2-3 month training course to be certified to work on these animals.

So if you hear somebody has one in the Caribbean, they are either lieing, or they ship the car to the states for servicing.

For GT-R owners in Japan, and possibly the US in the future, if they go to race their car at a Nissan certified track, the GPS unit in the GT-R will either remove, or extend the factory rev limits. After you have finished flogging the car, you have approximately 48hours to get to a dealership so that they can perform a $1000.00 service to reset the vehicle. If you fail to do so, your warranty will be void.

No, it's not like that at all. What gave you the idea that they turned off VDC to get the "advertised performance numbers?" It -aids- vehicle performance.

They did... you have to turn it off to turn on launch control. By turning it off you void the warranty. Using launch control even once voids the warranty of the automobile. So yea... you can reach the claimed numbers if you are willing to void the warranty and destroy the transmission after a relatively low number of launches.

We will see what the magazines write for the 2010 model which will not have launch control. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds becomes maybe 4.1? Who knows.

The first year model of a car is typically not the one to buy for the reason of potential problems. I don't think 1, 2, or 3 trans failures is a huge deal IMO. Hard launches on a manual trans is going to kill each and every one of them sooner or later I don't care what trans you have unless its a lenco. Most states have the lemon law, we do here, and that kind of stuff doesn't fly here and I doubt it will anywhere where there is the same or similar law.

Here the Ford dealer is having pure hell with their new ford powerstroke diesel engines. He was telling me that they had sold 20 or so 2008's and had 6 back with blown engines all with less than 5000 miles on them. Now I think that is a problem!

Word is that a R35 can do its claimed acceleration figures without launch control. Keep in mind that LC is a driver aid, its not some piece of magic that improves performance, basically its for those who can't drive properly.

With no LC there can be no warranty disputes about its use, I think its deletion is a sensible move, none of the official imports into AU will have it.

I highly doubt it can do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds with out launch control.

Edmunds pulled a 3.3 sec with launch control, which out 4.0 seconds. They said they only ran it with launch control a couple times to preferve the drive train. 3.3 sec and 4.0 sec are a world apart.

Leave the launch control off and the tranny in R mode, and the car is still sick quick. Sixty mph arrives in 4.0 seconds and the quarter-mile disappears in 12.3 seconds at 120.6 mph. All our testing was completed using manual shifting.

Also there has not yet been an independent test of the GT-R that looped the Nurburgring anywhere near the claimed 7:29. Not that I know of anyway. Here are the times I know:

GT-R northloop times so far (20.6km lap)

7:29.03min Nissan factory claim

7:50.00min sportauto magazine driven with one of the three early testmule

7:54.00min Porsche testdrivers (US model)

7:55.90min Chris Harris Drivers Republic magazine UK (Japan model speed limiter removed)

Here is the link to the last run of 7:55 - http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/thetruth030/

• Administrators
Believe it or not there is one in anchorage Alaska !!!!

They need to come out with a straight up 5 or 6 speed. and get rid of the stupid ass launch control!!!

In 10 more years we will be yearning for the days when cars had an actual shifter lever, clutch pedal, EGR valve, filament light bulbs. embarace.gif

I’m with ya Stony. How much performance would the car actually loose if it had a simpler, lighter, less expensive to manufacture 5/6 speed trans?

And what is with all these ridiculous controls in todays automobiles? Launch, yaw, stability, etc… As a pilot, the airplane to pilot interface is complex only because all the airplanes systems are simple in design, the pilot does all the thinking. Todays cars, GT-R included, do all thinking and the pilot still has a complex check list to run through during his/her drive... shrug.gif Manufactures also include a button in the GT-R that will void the warranty if it is used?!?! Honestly! How many dang “set-up” buttons/switches does one car need? VDC-R, norm, comfort, race. Launching, traction control, yaw control, overdrive deactivation, and the most important, yet not included on any of the modern automobiles offered today, but sorely needed, the anti yawn control… yawn.gif What happened to cars and the character they possessed? My Q-45, numb and boring. My Z-32 is numb and mundane to just drive around, though is spirited at 7 tenths, but still doesn't communicate with much intensity to the driver of what the car is doing. Get into an S-30 and its character is its charm. the smells, noises, vibrations, feel of the controls, etc. Todays offerings are so non-evasive to the driver, he is being further and further disconnected from the “driving” experience. sleep.gif

As a pilot, we must show proficiency in high performance launch/take off scenarios, and the manufacture even outlines the ideal settings and techniques to achieve such, without a bunch of complicated buttons and no voided warranties. If I had the money to buy a GT-R, I’d purchase a Cessna way before I’d buy a GT-R! The Cessna can be purchased used for far less initial cost, and it appears to be less annual cost of ownership as well. The Cessna will safely pull 3 times the G’s the GT-R does, can cruise at 140+ MPH for extended periods with far less HP, (hours on end legally), will get you to your destination in much less time. Oh, and for you single guys, Chicks REALLY dig air planes!!!! occhidolci.gif

...stepping down off my soap box...

I highly doubt it can do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds with out launch control.

Edmunds pulled a 3.3 sec with launch control, which out 4.0 seconds. They said they only ran it with launch control a couple times to preferve the drive train. 3.3 sec and 4.0 sec are a world apart.

Also there has not yet been an independent test of the GT-R that looped the Nurburgring anywhere near the claimed 7:29. Not that I know of anyway. Here are the times I know:

GT-R northloop times so far (20.6km lap)

7:29.03min Nissan factory claim

7:50.00min sportauto magazine driven with one of the three early testmule

7:54.00min Porsche testdrivers (US model)

7:55.90min Chris Harris Drivers Republic magazine UK (Japan model speed limiter removed)

Here is the link to the last run of 7:55 - http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/thetruth030/

This is something that was bothering me. So Porsche says "We are going to send our driver out to test our car againt the Nissan GTR". Ok, then their driver does not even come close in the GTR the the, what was it, GT2? So take someone that underdstands and knows a Porsche. Then you throw them in front engined awd vehical for a day and ecpect the same times? I would bet that the persone driving the GTR around the "Ring" has been the same person driving and testing the car from day one. Probably knows the car inside and out, upside down and right side up. Just because a few peolple that have tried and then failed does not mean it can not be done. As Nissan said, maybe you need more practice?

Get into an S-30 and its character is its charm. the smells, noises, vibrations, feel of the controls, etc. Todays offerings are so non-evasive to the driver, he is being further and further disconnected from the “driving” experience. sleep.gif

That is exactly the reason I wanted an S30...it's just me and the car. Why let some electronic crap control your car when you can learn to do it properly yourself with just a steering wheel, three pedals, and a shift knob?