HybridZ

Price of maintaining a GTR is crazy

jerryb

Just for the heck of it I explored the cost of a few NISSAN parts for the new GTR...WOWOWOWOW!

Tranny fluid....$120/L x 12

Front Brake discs....$950 each

Front pads......$860 pair

Tires.....$1000 each ( good for 20000 miles )

Front Calipers.....$2500..EACH!

Tranny/Dif.....$25000

Imagine a basic brake job for $5K....NO THANX!

I get a feeling that when the novelty of owning a GTR wears off and reality sets in....there will be a few GTRs for sale at discounted prices that owners cant aford to maintain.

Oh ya...those are stealership prices...with no labor.:eek2:

Im sure thats from the stealership but the tires are pricey. They were specifically made for the gt-r. You can always get different tires..most people don't live on the nurburgring hehe

I saw a red one up here. Very sexy.

Really I would expect the high maintenance costs. Seeing the numbers it puts down and the cost to actually buy one I wouldn't expect any less. In my opinion, and knowing how much I would actually drive it (especially living in Canada) its not that unreasonable.

For comparison's sake, what would it cost to maintain something that puts down similar numbers? Like the Porsche?

I agree. Anyone read the latest road & track (Nov 08)? They compare tuned GTR, NSX and 997 Turbo around Streets of Willow Springs.

Highlights:

The 997 was built by TechArt, had larger turbos, exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, remapped ECU and produced 630hp. Lest you think this car was setup by a bunch of fools, it had just finished competing in a 4000 mile cross-country race, driven by Lewis Hamilton I think. Maybe the recent hard use would have a negative impact on its performance?

It lapped in 1:29.06 versus the stock 997 turbo 1:30.69.

The GTR, by comparison, had a custom Mines's ECU, and an exhaust: 550hp. No larger turbos, no custom headers (the turbine housing is integrated into the exhaust manifold I think). The author notes here that the tyres had a number of hot laps on them and were well worn. Pity they couldn't describe the 997's tyres for us. :(

It lapped in 1:25.79.

3 and a bit seconds faster than a car with reputedly 80hp more and 250lb less.

It also did 0-60 in 3.0 (!) and the 1/4 in 11.1 @ 127MPH.

This I find completely freaking staggering considering: It only had an ECU and exhaust modification for christ's sake!

Can't wait to see how the non-entry-level GTR, aka V-Spec, which some places are reporting (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/3869/nissan-r35-gt-r-v-spec-update/) will see 550hp stock, and in the order of 300lb less weight (its a 2-seater).

Holy crap, I sound like a fan-boy. :(

Dave

I disagree with all those people who say that these cars were not built to reproduce the advertised performance numbers.

It's like building a space shuttle, that they recommend you can't leave the atmosphere with.

No, it's not like that at all. What gave you the idea that they turned off VDC to get the "advertised performance numbers?" It -aids- vehicle performance.

So true! Does anyone on hybridz have of similar price point car for some first hand comparisons? Perhaps a Porshe owner?? :?

But lets compare dealership prices not aftermarket.

Those parts are expensive but how do they compare with similar parts from similar performance cars? Thats a real world comparison.