HybridZ

Towing a Z behind an Odyssey?

cygnusx1

Opinions, suggestions? Feel free to slap me if I am waay off base.

2007 Odyssey with a 3500lb tow capacity and 350lb tongue weight limit.

Open, low trailer possibly aluminum 16-18 foot (3500lb axles).

Stripped 240Z with full cage and L24 with webers on trailer.

Spare set of wheels and tires. (in van)

Basic tools and floor jack. (in van)

I have little to no experience towing anything but this is the scenario I am faced with if I build a time trial attack 240Z. Towing distances would be 1-5 hour trips.

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why not. Are you worried about the power of the van or just tearing it up?

I used my 4 cyl Nissan frontier to pull many Z's with a tow dolly and not a single issue.

I guess my only concern would be the auto tranny in the van. Maybe upgrade w/ an oil cooler.

I would be worried about the stopping power. A crazy dude that lives down the road from me made his own trailer out of what looks like steel. He painted it yellow and tows it completely packed behind his Odyssey almost every day. I say go for it. Maybe install a few parachutes to slow you down:biggrin:(just in case).

I think that's pushing it IMO. I have a 18' boat and I used to tow it with a Ford Aerostar with a 4.0 and towing package. Towing it up hills and braking was never a problem. However, it was really frantic towing it on the highway because it was really unstable and on windy days it was scary.

I absolutely hated towing with that van and the furthest I towed regularly was from LA to San Diego which is a 2 hour drive. If your planning on doing 1-5 hour trips I would highly recomend a truck.

Just to estimate with some numbers:

Car - 2200 LB

Trailer (dual axel) - 1400LB

Tools, jack etc -75LB

Spare wheels - 150LB

Misc - 60 LB

That totals up to 3,885 LB not including the weight inside your van (you, other people, fuel)

If you ask me it's a bad idea. You'l be putting your self and others in danger and youl be beating the crap out of your family car.

With the gas prices the way they are i'm sure you can pick up a decent used domestic truck for a bargin.

I don't have anything right now but the wifes 2007 Odyssey. I am weighing out my options for building a strictly track day 240Z. Honda and aftermarket suppliers make a 3500lb towing package with a box hitch and coolers. I figure I can pick up a decent 16-18' open trailer used, and start looking for a new project/track car. I would initially do about 3 track days a year so I don't want a ton of initial investment.

If the Odyssey can tow it safely, I am in good shape.

Electric Brakes, or even a hydraulic surge brake would take most of the issue out of the braking in panic situations.

When I was towing with a Suzuki Samurai (Shhhh!) I had the brake controller set so that when I touched the brakes the trailer stopped the little truck! (Dual Axle Trailer)

If the loading wasn't right that old trailer had a nasty wag to it, and a tap on the brakes would stop it post-haste!

On small vehicles for towing a full sized trailer, IMO brakes on the trailer are mandatory.

You can tow two VW Beetles (about 2400#) in an M151 1/4 Ton Military Trailer behind a JDM Suzuki Jimny with a 550CC Two Stroke Three-Cylinder (with the back end loaded to the roof with another 250KG of Aluminum pistons and tranny cases/heads/etc)... So you can get by with small power. You just plan acceleration and don't pass a lot of people.

But brakes. Going downhill in the Jimny was a hairy time when loaded like that!

I already drifted the van to avoid a 40mph to 40mph head on collision with my wife, son, and a friend on board. Parents of the friend were behind us in a Dakota. I pushed the van HARD to the right towards the tree line then hard to the LEFT to get the tail end to slide to the right and aviod the impact. It was SOOO CLOSE. It had to be 2-3" from the oncoming cars nose passing to the left of my flank as the van drifted perfectly and straightened right back up. Thanks, stability control! And thanks to everyone on board wearing their belts, they didn't fly around. The brakes feel great and it really does handle MUCH better than I thought a van could. The oncoming car was a young girl texting.

You're nuts dude. The biggest issue IMO is the driveline of the van. I do not think that it will hold up well at all under that kind of abuse. My steel trailer is 2300#, that's with a wood deck. A less extravagant trailer might be 2000# if you're lucky, mine is a tilt. Car, figure 2000# if you really get it light. You can check aluminum trailer weights, but I wouldn't think you'd find something less than 1500#, and the cost difference will be pretty big to get aluminum. I predict swift and total transaxle destruction if you try to do this on a regular basis. I would suggest a cheaper steel trailer and spend the money you save on a cheap older full size truck for a tow vehicle.

I solved that problem by just flat towing my Z to the track. Just used a set of plain tires to roll on and then changed to race tires at the track. The tow bar setup cost less then $200.00 then all I did was wire in the lights.

I know, not good for the drivetrain. But if those snowbirds can flat tow all over the country behind their RVs it can not be that bad.

Tom

I would suggest a cheaper steel trailer and spend the money you save on a cheap older full size truck for a tow vehicle.

With over 300 hours of towing under my belt I have to agree with Jon on this.

Towing with a truck is a day and night difference compared to a minivan. I'm sure you could get away with towing 2 jet skis, a small boat, or even a small travel trailer but, a racecar and supplies is a bit much IMO.

I think I sugested buying a midsized truck before you bought the Odyssey for towing purposes...

plus if you do happen to get into an accident, the insurance company will weigh everything on the trailer and if you are over the weight of the trailer, you are generally liable for the whole thing. i was going to get a trailer last christmas but did not end up getting one (for $ issues). the trailer is 2000# plus a car (2100#) plus stuff (200#) is close to 4500# gvw. that is above the gwv of the trailer. the way they explained it to me is the trailer plus whatever is on there is the they weigh it. 3500# gvw would mean that you could "legaly" only load a couple of dirt bikes on there. to get back on track though, if you drive nice, i see that you would have no problems with the honda.

jimbo

Obviously, I would be pushing the limits of the Odyssey judging by all the great pro/con feedback. I may need to step back and rethink the scenarios. Flat towing the car with a dolly is a good idea unless I wreck it at the track and can't drag it back. The Odyssey is rated for 3500pounds by Honda. For some reason most trailers don't list their actual weight. I am looking. The Featherlites are gorgeous, but they do blow my budget. Here are the numbers:

2007 Odyssey

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 5,952 lbs. GVWR

Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 2,833 lbs. front GAWR

Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 3,197 lbs. rear GAWR

Max Trailer Weight 3,500 lbs. towing capacity

Maximum GCWR 8,210 lbs. GCWR

It's a pretty stout vehicle with more interior cubic feet than a Chevy Suburban. I think the weak link would be the transmission and the fact that it's front wheel drive. Remember I would be using this very sparsely. I mean literally, two or three times a year. This is why I find it hard to justify another vehicle in the fleet. Maybe I'll just build the car "streetable", and drive it to the track. I wanted to avoid this, but in my case, it might be the best financial option.

IMHO, you can tow it but I wouldn't. Just because the weight ratings say you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I would strongly consider the tow bar route or a two wheel dolly to flat tow the car to the track. Use cheap tires on the Z for towing and carry the good tires inside of the car.

I don't think you can get enough tongue weight on the Honda to make the trailer handle correctly at speed. You might with an all aluminum trailer but plan on spending upwards of $2.5k for a 10 year old used aluminum one and $6k+ for a new one.

I tow on a regular basis and getting the trailer loaded correctly, proper hitch set up with brakes takes some time and it needs to be done right. Otherwise you might find yourself looking at the Z through the windshield of the Honda as you are both going the same direction down the highway.

Good luck, I think I would still flat tow or two wheel dolly.

Street-able is going to be your cheapest option, bar none. You'll probably trash the van towing the Z + a trailer behind it.

You can probably get an old diesel truck in NY for less than 3K and a trailer for fairly cheap. My dad scored a 26ft gooseneck here for 2K cash (all steel trailer). The thing is stout. Since the first time I towed a gooseneck, I'd almost have it no other way. They're incredibly smooth and predictable compared to a ball hitch tailer...

Obviously, this isn't the cheapest route, but you'd never have any problems towing anything again.