HybridZ

Ground Control Coilovers reviews

Hello Everyone,

I've searched with no luck but i was wondering what people thought or heard about there ground control coil overs. how they liked there ride on and off the track, eas of installation, eas of adjust ability and anything else you can say.

I'm mainly looking at Ground Control because it is the most affordable coil overs i have been able to find from a reputable company. Any other suggestions on coil overs in the $400-500 range?

I also found these on ebay, anyone run these or heard anything about em?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NEW-240Z-510-FRONT-COIL-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160302989097QQitemZ160302989097QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorieshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NEW-240Z-510-FRONT-COIL-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160302989097QQitemZ160302989097QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks in Advance!

Coilovers don't change the ride quality. What springs you choose and where you set the ride height changes the ride quality. For most "streetable" spring rates you really need 10" springs to avoid coil bind.

I don't think there is too much to say about coilovers. If they have the right length threaded collar and the spring rate you want, then that's pretty much what you need to know.

One thing on the ebay auction is that they only have 250 in/lb springs. Running the same springs front and rear has been linked to porpoising over bumps, so you might think about that aspect of it too.

I agree with Jon. It all depends on the spring rates and lengths you go with. If you want to drive on the street get lower rates, and for track use higher rates.

You said you weren’t going to change your ride height. If you’re going to be driving on the street you might want to go with a Tokico ilk kit. It’s cheaper plus it comes with progressive springs, which is much more comfortable on the street. It’s stiffer than stock but meant for aggressive street use (which it does well).

Link to Tokico ilk suspension kit

Why do you want to go with coil overs anyway?

Were will you be driving? street or track

How much to do you want to lower your car?

How wide of a tire do you think you want to have in the future?

I guess my question wasn't stated the best, i meant to ask what peoples thoughts were on the Entire GC Coilover set WITH SPRINGS like the ones listed here

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/gc6015-01

There isn't much description on the spring weight or length anywhere so i wanted to see if people who ran this set up liked it or not.

But thanks for all the advice on the springs!

Coilovers don't change the ride quality. What springs you choose and where you set the ride height changes the ride quality. For most "streetable" spring rates you really need 10" springs to avoid coil bind.

I don't think there is too much to say about coilovers. If they have the right length threaded collar and the spring rate you want, then that's pretty much what you need to know.

One thing on the ebay auction is that they only have 250 in/lb springs. Running the same springs front and rear has been linked to porpoising over bumps, so you might think about that aspect of it too.

I guess my question wasn't stated the best, i meant to ask what peoples thoughts were on the Entire GC Coilover set WITH SPRINGS like the ones listed here

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/gc6015-01

There isn't much description on the spring weight or length anywhere so i wanted to see if people who ran this set up liked it or not.

But thanks for all the advice on the springs!

You should be able to PICK your shocks and springs with that setup. Pick the wrong length or weight, and you'll have something that rides like crap. You can order direct from Ground Control too. If that place isn't giving you an option to pick, then I'd go to GC directly.

You should be able to PICK your shocks and springs with that setup. Pick the wrong length or weight, and you'll have something that rides like crap. You can order direct from Ground Control too. If that place isn't giving you an option to pick, then I'd go to GC directly.

You can also order similar coilovers and choose your rates from Techno-Toy Tuning: http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=582

I haven't personally used either but I think the upper hat design for the TTT coilovers is better than the GC upper hat. The TTT ones also use the same springs GC does. TTT also sells needle bearings if you use camber plates: http://www.technotoytuning.com/products/upper_hat.html.

I will be changing my ride height and i will mostly be driving on the streets.

I actually was looking at the Tokico set previously but then I started hearing some bad reviews on the Tokico Illumina's, like them blowing out adn what not. what do you think?

I am running 15's now and will be upgrading to some fairly WIDE 17's in the future. They would be more for looks then anything else.

Mostly streets with the occasional track days.

Probably 2" with the 15's but maybe more if the drop still doesn't look like enough and 1"-1.5" with the 17's.

9-10.5"

I agree with Jon. It all depends on the spring rates and lengths you go with. If you want to drive on the street get lower rates, and for track use higher rates.

You said you weren’t going to change your ride height. If you’re going to be driving on the street you might want to go with a Tokico ilk kit. It’s cheaper plus it comes with progressive springs, which is much more comfortable on the street. It’s stiffer than stock but meant for aggressive street use (which it does well).

Link to Tokico ilk suspension kit

Will do, thanks!

what would be your recommendation on spring weight for my usage? After doing some searching i found that 175f to possibly 200 for the front and 225r for the rear.

You're going to find that the larger the tire the more you need to lower the car. Search for "sectioning" struts. You'll need to.

I also used tokico illuminas with the 5 way adjustable for a toyota mr2 and had to redo the rears because it was to low with the spring perch raised all the way up, I didn't use spacers and found out that the tokico wasn't rebounding back with no apparent leaks.I was wondering what other inserts are recomended for a similar setup like rimal310?thankz

Guys, stop posting for a bit and read the sticky's in the brakes, suspension, chassis forum. All of the questions you've all asked have been answered dozens of times over the last 8 years on this forum.

In particular read these two threads:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103860

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=138601