HybridZ

1970 240z Windshield help

I am looking at buying this 1970 240z, And found an issue with the windshield mounting. The rubber windshield molding dips down on the upper edges reveiling what looks like misshapen edges on both sides of the windshield opening. It does not appear to be rust. Anyone know if this is normal, wrong windshield? (picture attached)

IMAG0002_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a crappy repair job. unless the rest of the car is in great shape, I'd keep looking, See that crack above the moulding? that looks like a bondo crack where they put it on too thick. maybe dent repair, maybe rust, I dunno.

you don't know whats under there, so unless you're prepared to rip it all out and do some metal fab, I'd keep looking, (unless it's also a great price :wink: )

just be cautious and READ on here and on NICO about all the things to look for when buying an old S30, there's a lot of common trouble areas. it's just good to know what your'e getting into, and even have an idea of what price things should be.

Phar

That's one of the areas of lead in the car, similar to the lead at the top of the hatch on both sides of the B pillar. The reason that the area isn't smooth is because Nissan didn't smooth it out before they painted it. Mine looked like crap too.

The weather strip definitely needs to be replaced and it would normally cover up that crappy looking edge.

EDIT--I suppose it could be a crappy repair too, but I'm still thinking it's an area where Nissan didn't spend any time because the weather strip should cover it.

That is the old style VICTORIA BRITISH/LONG MOTOR COMPANY (now Black Dragon Automotive) NON-OEM windshield weatherstrip.

My 73 has the EXACT same issue at the corners. It does not leak, it just looks like hell. I don't know if it was the weatherstrip, or the way the weatherstrip was installed. I do know it was NOT a 'bad repair' to that section of the roof... that's a red herring in my cars case at least.

The ares should be smooth though---there has been bondo or something in that area to make it rough in the windshield recess at the roofline. It did not come that way from Nissan. They were very good on their fit and finish of panel joints.

Chances are it would be covered by a properly applied weatherstrip. You can use on of the 'bondo magnets' to check for thickness easy enough. What I would be concerned about is if it was a rust hole repair. Though in CA that should not be an issue.

My 73 and some 71's are the only windshields I've removed. I've not seen an early 70 window removed to know for sure that the uneven area in your photo was while they were 'learning' how to set up the joints. i doubt it, but there is that possibility.

How many 70's do you see for sale any more? And for how much?

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal in my book, it would not be a deal breaker on a $2500 car. Maybe on a $5000 car, but not for a lower price...

Anything needed to properly repair it is easily available.

The ares should be smooth though---there has been bondo or something in that area to make it rough in the windshield recess at the roofline. It did not come that way from Nissan. They were very good on their fit and finish of panel joints.

Chances are it would be covered by a properly applied weatherstrip. You can use on of the 'bondo magnets' to check for thickness easy enough. What I would be concerned about is if it was a rust hole repair. Though in CA that should not be an issue.

Since lead is not magnetic, I'm not sure that your bondo magnet idea would be a good one.