HybridZ

video: I got a Garrett GT35R

big-phil

Thanks for the video, Phil. I second dr hunt's question. I realize this GT35R was probably chosen because it matches the engine better so it will be more efficient, but how much more?

By the way, was "2 hours south" Austin? And you didn't call me?!

So, what are you expecting out of the gt35r that you were not getting out of the hy35 that you had? Just curious.

What are you expecting out of the built motor? Any drivetrain mods coming too?

To be honest This is my 2nd hy35. I had to put 2 rear oil seals in the 1st that I cooked,( welded the seal to the shaft) and I'm on my 2nd in this one.( by seal I put new bearings in also) I got the gt35r because its a bad ass turbo, and longevity. The coolant cooled part really sold me. I think the HY35 is made for a 600? deg diesel motor, not 1300?? deg gas motor? I think I was asking too much of the HY, and I hope the GT can take it.

I'm running the '87 300zx turbo LSD rear.

2 hours south to Temple. I should of called someone down there because the car was feeling great. But it was Xmas eve. night:icon_frow

To be honest This is my 2nd hy35. I had to put 2 rear oil seals in the 1st that I cooked,( welded the seal to the shaft) and I'm on my 2nd in this one.( by seal I put new bearings in also) I got the gt35r because its a bad ass turbo, and longevity. The coolant cooled part really sold me. I think the HY35 is made for a 600? deg diesel motor, not 1300?? deg gas motor? I think I was asking too much of the HY, and I hope the GT can take it.

I'm running the '87 300zx turbo LSD rear.

2 hours south to Temple. I should of called someone down there because the car was feeling great. But it was Xmas eve. night:icon_frow

No doubt delivering christmas to certain special people?!!! You Da Man!!!! Especially since you were doing it in the z sled! YeeeHaWWWW!

Looks good, BB turbos do last longer, but I've seen a lot of water cooled turbos on buicks and they were junk (no offense). Hope yours lasts longer then the Hy35s ! And I hope my Hy35 don't fry!

Can't wait to see your gt35r in action.

I've heard water cooled turbo housings can make your engine run alot hotter, be interesting to see how she goes.

Sure, it introduces more heat to the engine (and takes "coolness" away from the engine) but the effect is negligible, no doubt. I'd be surprised if that's really even taken into account on production turbocharged vehicles.