HybridZ

The Movie: "Gran Torino"

Tony D

Gotta see it!

The reading of the will is priceless! Talk about having the last word.

Other than that, my kid kept nudging me throughout the movie. Apparently I've used similar phraseology towards him and have a similar intolerance in regards to todays youths...

And all this time I thought he wasn't listening!:icon10:

I can believe it was filmed in Michigan. Been there, seen that! LOL

Other than that, my kid kept nudging me throughout the movie. Apparently I've used similar phraseology towards him and have a similar intolerance in regards to todays youths...

I'm not even your kid and I could have guessed that about you...:P I thought it was a great movie. So good that I think I will have to force my daddy away from work to go watch it. I don't think he's seen a single movie at the theater since my step brother was born 5 years ago. I don't even think he's ever FINISHED a movie at HOME in 5 years... Hah!

From what I've read this is Clint's last movie and he wanted to revisit Harry Callahan in retirement. He did a great job in that role but most of the other actors appeared wooden, which is typical of all the other actors in the Dirty Harry series. Its basically a series of setups for Dirty Harry one liners.

Have to agree, a very good movie. Eastwood has managed to morph from a tv-western star (Rawhide), to B-movie star(A Fistful of Dollars), to A-movie star (the Dirty Harry movies) to really awesome director (thinking "Outlaw Josie Wales, Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima). Really, this guy has had a great career and given us some excellent entertainment. His talents as an actor aren't maybe the best, but his skills as a director are world-class.

SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT! SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT! SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT!

Just to be clear about the movie though, it's not a Dirty Harry thing. The Eastwood character doesn't shoot anybody. I'm tempted to go on, but I'll stop there, but don't expect any "Make my day..." kind of lines!

After seeing the trailer, I wasn't expecting to be laughing throughout most of the movie. It was a nice breath of fresh air after being let down from recent movies over the last few months. It's definitely my kind of movie...it was great.

The trailer was pretty horrible. The movie was one of the best of the year, definitely. Going into my collection along with Clint's other new movie, Changeling.

• 4 months later...

All over the state. Born at the same Hospital as Michael Moore in Flint...two disparate characters from the same area you won't find!

Moved and lived in the UP for a long while, and ended up in Tawas/Oscoda before going into the Service. Got out just in time for the 'last Michigan Crisis where nobody has a job' and went west. I still have a small cabin on Lake Huron that I retreat to from time to time.

And I disagree about a 'make my day' comment. There is one scene where he discusses ventilating someone 'with this same gun I'm holding now'... That was pretty damn Harryish!

OH! The delicious Irony of it all...

I boarded ANA / China Air 6682 from Nagoya to Shanghai Pudong this morning and what do I see on the IN FLIGHT MOVIE SELECTION FOR COACH?!?!?!?!

I find it deliciously ironic that it was subtitled in Chinese and Japanese and played in English on the flight.

My second-watching chortles were somewhat stifled when I started to realize they probably WERE accurately translating some of those one-liners...and nobody else seemed amused...

And then to top it all off, we landed ahead of schedule but about 20 minutes...

Only to be boarded by Infectious Disease/Quarantine Workers who held us on the plane more than an hour after someone in the back of the plane apparently had a temperature, and you can't afford to have case 5 out of 1,000,000,000+ people with the Pig Flu.

From Mars Attacks spontaneous utterance: "Ya don't eat pork?"