HybridZ

harbor freight tools?

rdsk8ter

You get what you pay for :mrgreen:

Its a great place to buy cheap tools that will work for a little while, but their stuff is gonna break sooner. That said, I shop there often, but leave the big ticket stuff to the name brands.

I only need to bend about 8 bends and flair 2 peices think they would last that long?

i would think they would last much longer than that. not much to really break on a tube bender die. anyways from my extensive experience with harbor freight tools i've found that the less moving parts, and the less critical the job you need it for, the better off you are. i would never think of going somewhere else to buy a hammer, work gloves, air fittings, ect. can't go wrong with simple stuff!

the only tool IM truely happy with that IVE bought there is thier 12 ton jack stands (I BOUGHT 6 for the shop)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

Ive also got a couple of thier engine stands, they work but are hardly top quality, still thier far better than some IVE seen

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4420

You know i find harbor freight hit or miss.I bought an engine stand there and its held my motor damn fine.little stiff like wire brushes gloves socket sets are decent but with sockets if you are doing a massively tight bolt where you have to use a giant breaker bar better go with snap on or mac or craftsman or whatever haha.Ill bet you will be ok.For there prices its almost worth it to try?

I stopped buying air fittings there after a run of poorly fitting Amflo Knockoffs. Either they wouldn't fit into the standard Amflo fittings that were on my hoses already, or they leaked.

Sad, too, since I liked their brass fittings, if you dropped the tool by accident the brass fitting usually took the hit and you simply replaced it.

But I agree on deadblow hammers for sure! And stuff I'm going to abuse or convert to a 'special tool' sends me straight to HF for whatever I need.

Of course, Air Tools from there as well.

Since I already have a Swagelock 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2" tubing bender, cutter, & reamer (courtesy of a refitting job I had to do on the Hospital Ships Comfort and Mercy where tool cost was built into my quote...) I don't think about tubing benders the same any more. I ended up having brand-new Rigid Benders of the same sizes given to me, and they were put into my 'loaner' tool box---you know, the box that you lend out because you know likely you're never getting them back? The Swagelock Benders spoiled me for all other benders!!!

At around $247 each 10 years ago, they should!

On engine stands: buck up for the heavier-duty models when they go on sale. I have had a 750# for years, and just noticed that it seems to be sagging 'nose down' with the L28ET that has been hung on it for a while. Haven't checked into it closely yet, but it surprised me to see the different attitude compared to the others in the storage container.

The same you get what you pay for! I have some of there stuff and it seems to wrork just fine. I have a set of large open end box ends and have even used them for a hammer wrench and they still are in one piece. Z therapy use to recomend thier gravity spray gun over the high priced brands. I have one and it seems to spray better than I do.

As for benders I have one and it seems to work OK if I take my time. Double flaring tool I would buy a quality tool for this.

In the 'old days' the HF 1 Quart Siphon Gun was a direct knockoff of a Binks #7. I swapped Binks fluid tips onto the HF body for fine work, and left the HF heads on when spraying primers and anything that was catalyzing and could plug them up.

For primers, I haven't shot anything but HF guns for years now simply because for the price it's almost worth it if you get a little slow on the cleanup and it get's plugged up...

For topcoat I still have one original HF Gun with Binks Tips circa 1985, my Binks, two Iwatas, and now a gravity feed HF Gun that I really like for door jambs since paranoia about not being able to get parts for my Iwata here makes me reluctant to use it on anything catalyzed.

Does anybody have any experience with HF pneumatic tools? Their flange tool, orbital sanders, die grinder and angle grinders are soo cheap, felt pretty strong too...?

I've liked everything except their air body saw which was completely useless and I refuse to use cheap impact guns. I haven't tried a sander but I'd be a bit skeptical there as well. Drills, die grinders, angle grinders, sheet metal shears all work great. They're so cheap I just bought different die grinders for different tasks so I don't have to change bits.

I have a few HF die grinders, their heat gun and some jack stands. They seam to be ok although I have had second thoughts when lying under my car with my life limbs being protected by brand "X" stands. My most recent purchase was an air body saw that committed tool suicide within the first minute of use. But, that's what twenty bucks gets you! All in all, most HF stuff is very low quality and as stated above; we only get what we pay for and the free lunch line is too long to stand in. When you buy the good stuff, you ride in style!

I have there jack stands and have had no problem with them at all. Used them on the Z and on other much heavier car/trucks without any problems.

I also have a set of there car dollies, engine dollies and they work great for the price.

I have also used many of there other tools and I approach it this way. If it is something that I plan on using everyday then I will purchase a quality tool. However if it is something that I use once in a while then I will try the HF tool. So far have only had 1 problem with there tools and it was a small die grinder and it did not work.

Sandblaster booth and parts cleaner both were great. I did customize them a bit but other then that no problems.

HB280ZT