HybridZ

BW T5 into 240 tranny mount pics, no mods required?

Bob_H

Well, I am swapping a T5 into my 73 240. I haven't completed the swap yet, but I ran into some interesting items,(will post pictures next week).

First, I took all the "others" that attach to the turbo tranny when it was in the ZX. This includes the transmission crossmember. What I had never seen before was it is curved vice straight like my 240Z one. So I know the tranny sits further back, and from the fabricated mounts I have seen, they are about the same shape. Soo..... here is some food for thought. As far as I know, they didn't move the transmission tunnel mount when they went to a turbo. They all had the same L6 with the same motor mounts. The later 5 speed,(we'll say '83), fit with a straight tranny mount. The T5 fit in the same body, with the curved mount. So it is reasonable to assume that the T5 with its curved mount might bolt right up into the 240Z. I put the two tranny's side by side to see how close it was. I saw less than a 0.5 inch difference in where the outer parts of the tranny crossmembers were,(again, I have pics, but won't post them until next week). And the overall length including the driveshaft for that tranny was within 1 inch, with the real difference in the driveshafts themselves. It may be that once I get the T5 in, I will have to shorten the turbo driveshaft. But maybe not... I had pushed both driveshafts all the way in for the comparison. I know the 83 NA tranny has the driveshaft about 2 inches back from full in when it is in the car.

I am rambling a bit, and will post the pics next week. Unfortunatly, I will not get to work on this till next weekend, maybe two weekends from now. So who knows? It may be we can bolt the T5 in w/o any fabbing.... smile.gif

-Bob

Interesting. Let us know what you find! I am going to put a T5 in my 240 as well, but it won't be a bolt in... You must have a '73 240 that has the same style crossmember as the newer cars. The '72 and earlier crossmember threads into a captive nut in the crossmember mount instead of using the nut and bolt with the bushings like those two mounts in your photo.

When I swapped the BW T-5 into my 73, I had to make slots in the tranny mount, and that was it. The crossmember was about and inch too far back. The driveshaft was just short enough to fit in between the R200 and the BW tranny. You will also need the companion flange from the turbo rear end. (I assume you already have an R200) The BW driveshaft uses a different rear end flange than the normal Z tranny. The gear shift also sits kinda far forward as well. I picked up a stock Mustang 5.0 shifter from the Mustang T-5 for $20 delivered off of Ebay. It has a nice curve to it and sits the shift handle where it should be. The only caveat was that I had to cut the front part of the 73 console to make everything fit. I really like the BW 5-speed in my 240. The highway gearing is perfect with the 3.70 rear end.

If you have any Q's, feel free to drop me a line.

So did you use the curved crossmember or the straight one when you put your T5 in?

I have already ordered the turbo diff flange.

While I would love for it to fit perfectly, I have a feeling it will be about an inch off as you indicated, i.e. if the body mounts were about an inch further back it would fit. We'll see. I'll be working on it next weekend and should know better.

-Bob

My 72' is like Mike C's in that it has a captive nut rather than the ears for the mount. I had to make a mount for mine but it was very easy and inexpensive. I used 2 pieces of 6" long 2"x2" angle iron (3/8" thick), I put the tranny in place Marked where the holes needed to be and then drilled the holes in the angle iron. There are no isolation options like this and it is a bit noisier but that doesn't bother me.

BTW Bob I used your info on building your stroker as a referance and guide for building mine, thanks for being so detailed.

Dragonfly

• 5 years later...

Bringing a dead thread back, but we're also looking to swap a T5 into our '73 240. We've bought the tranny and driveshaft. The car has the stock 4 speed and R180 rear end. I know the crossmember will need to be modified, but other than that, will the transmission and driveshaft bolt right in without lengthening/shortening the driveshaft?

• 6 months later...

I just tried installing a T5 into my 74 260z and slotted the transmission crossmember about 1/2" back, but when you slide it up into the transmission mount, the mount repositions the crossmember back to almost stock location making my slot useless. I search and found that speeder switched to a front differential mount instead of the transmission mount and slotted THOSE holes. I am working on getting the front differential mount in my hands to modify. I will take some pictures to make a write up and maybe sticky for future people.

What I had planned on doing for my '72 240Z which has the different transmission crossmember with no bushings than the later cars was to cut the ends off of the T5 crossmember and then weld on the ends of the early crossmember. I've attached three pictures.

The first shows what the modified crossmember will look like with a T5 center part and the ends from an early crossmember.

The second shows cutting the ends off of a T5 crossmember.

The third shows the difference of the T5 crossmember to a non-T5. The T5 crossmember is on top in the picture.

T5crossmember_thumb.jpg

t5crossmember2_thumb.jpg

t5mountontop_thumb.jpg

Joey,

How about slotting the holes on the mount that bolt to the trans, not the hole in the crossmember?

Joe

I can try that too, but it didn't look like that tranny mount has enough material to remove to get the about 1/2" I need. I am getting a diff mount tonight so I will check them both out again tomorrow.

I got it mounted last night. I rotated the transmission mount 180 deg then slotted the holes so it could slide forward about 1/4" Then trimmed the rear urethane bushing a bit to help slide it in the tunnel brackets. Slotting the crossmember also helped in lining it up. I'll have pics sometime this week.

I just tried installing a T5 into my 74 260z and slotted the transmission crossmember about 1/2" back, but when you slide it up into the transmission mount, the mount repositions the crossmember back to almost stock location making my slot useless. I search and found that speeder switched to a front differential mount instead of the transmission mount and slotted THOSE holes. I am working on getting the front differential mount in my hands to modify. I will take some pictures to make a write up and maybe sticky for future people.

I was able to bolt my BW T5 right in to my early 260z using the curved auto tranny xmember from my 82 280zxt parts car. Even used the same bolts. Fishing it in there with the engine already in place was tricky but I made it happen. I used a brand new 240z tranny mount I got from MSA. I didn't notice the mount orientation so I can't tell you if it's rotated or not but I can get some pics this weekend if that would help solve this mystery.

I just posted that I figured mine out. I wonder if the curved auto tranny you used is the same as the stock T5 one from an 83?

There is a 30mm difference in mounting points for the T5 vs the Dastun manual trans. The curved crossmember was given a 15mm offset, so that they could use it on either trans - oriented with the offset forward for the Datsun trans, rearward for the T5. So, the mount point on the ZX (S130) body was located such that it was off by 15mm for either trans (centered between the two). On the Z (S30) body, the mount point had no such offset, so you'll be 15mm off if you try to use the curved mount, and 30mm off with the straight mount.

Here is a thread that shows a pic of my modified mount:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93166&highlight=mount