HybridZ

R230 swap kit...who is making one?

Jwink25

Pete,

Thanks for the info.

I called Marty at that shop this morning (05h30 PST). He had no details to provide but will research and I will get back to him in 3 hours. I will let y'all know what I find out. I told him that there were quite a few guys that would be interested, so he is definitely trying for the extra business.

Tim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inboard cv is the floater. Are the shafts hollow or solid? they feel relatively light to me. I forgot to tell them I needed the driveshaft too, twak.gif I guess I`ll have to call them monday morning. If anyone wants an r230, email me and I`ll give you the #. there regular price is 275.00 but they are pretty flexible and willing to deal. As far as I know, I got the last of the shafts though. b_hand.gif

Got my adapters today.....

They came out REALLY nicely, the picture doesn't do them justice...the tollerances are VERY tight, and even without the bolts in it, I can't move it around by hand.

Here is the picture (also my new Serp. belt pulley system)

Sorry for not posting directly here, but Freeservers will no longer allow image linking.

Also, sorry about all the pop-ups

Tim

So, now that we are hitting a valuable experience curve situation with this R230 swap, my interest is picquing.

The lowest numerical ratio for this diff is 3.54, correct? And are all of the various R230 diffs VLSD? There ain't no 3.36 R230?

It is looking good, but still seems a bit dollar intensive - parts are always on the high end for me here in NC. I'd guess around $450-500 for the complete diff, 4 shafts and then a driveshaft. That'd be after extensive negotiations. These adapters are what, $200? Shaft shortnin', another $200? DS mods, likely around $100. I think I could manage the fab on the mustache and the lower bar. I think buying a mount or at least buying plans for one would be key since that measurement can eat up lots of time. Do you have anything in mind Tim? Maybe sell a Xeroxed pamphlet on the R230 swap with measured drawings for $30 or so?

Thass around $1K. Oi. I dunno. I can't be using this 4.11 open R200 for too long (although the freaking car is still up on jacks currently :( ). I need a 3.36, but a 3.54 is okay. I think 3.7 is too high. I like Gary's (3.36 R200) 13 sec. 1/4 time balanced against some nice highway usability. I'm not so worried about breaking an R200 - I'm just after a low (numerical) ratio.

I'll prolly end up just paying $250 for a 3.54 open R200...

Jeremy,

The sideshafts are going to be brand new for about $120 each ($240). A new driveshaft is about $180 or so. The front mount is fairly easy to make (just very time consuming).

The R200 mustache bar needs a very low speed drill press to be drilled ( I took mine to a local shop who did it for free).

I got my adapters for the cost of materials only, but your guess is pretty close.

I have priced diffs locally for $250 and a pair of half shafts for $150.

i am currently pursuing CVs without the shafts.

Will keep you all up to date.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest LT4Justin

I'm very interested in this as well, but 2 things:

1) My car's going to be getting 280YZ rear flares, so I actually wouldn't want the axles shortened if it's possible.

2) Ok, I have to admit I'm 100% stupid when it comes to IRS, like there's been a few points in this thread where I thought to myself "what are they talking about?". All my friends and I have messed around with up until this point have been solid axle pony cars... anybody have a link to an exploded diagram of an R200 and/or an R230 (preferably both) so I can begin give myself a clue?

Guest LT4Justin

ok, retarded question #2:

I also want to convert to 5 lug and switch to rear discs... so I should just get an entire rear end out of a Z32, an extra set of half shafts, an adjustable proportioning valve and what else?

#3: Once and for all, do the NA Z32's have R230's or R200A's or whatever??? I'd really like to have a 4.00+ rear gear back there.

I am very interested also in the whole r230 deal.just got the rear all back together moving the diff back and upping to the r200.then read petes turbo cv axle article.had a spare turbo car floating around and nabbed the diff and axles.Then was at a friends shop where they were putting a new used diff in a customers q45.saw the old diff in the floor and said HMMMM.They told me it had a bad pinion bearing and I could have it FREE(my favorite price).So,all this stuff is in the garage floor awaiting the knowledge from the gods here at hybridz.I guess I'll be looking for axles from a q45 now.(And I'm a player on the mounting hardware kit too) bonk.gif

70ReSusp.jpg

this is a drawing of the stock 240 rear. it changes very little in the 260-280 but its the 300ZXs that sees the biggest change:

0108tur_free10_zoom.jpg

now yes this is a Datsun 510...but they are in very close relation.

as far as i know the NA 300ZXs all had R200s the TT models recieved R230s.

im still researching all this diff swap stuff...so thats all i can help with thus far.

• 5 years later...
Here's a question for you guys who are familiar with disassembling the R230 axle shafts. I've got an R230 and two axles. Disassembling the inner CV was straight forward but the outer has me puzzled. There is a snap ring, which I've expanded and slid up the shaft, but all that allows me to do is push the splined shaft into the pivot ball another 3/8" - 1/2". I can't see what the next step is to disassemble this joint. Any suggestions? HELP!

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Boy, I dug up a oldie huh?? :oops: I'm looking for the exact info., but so far, have not found it.

Can anyone show me a link, or picture, or explain how to remove the outer portion off the Z32TT axle. The green end portion shown in this picture...

8112R230Axles8.JPG

• 5 weeks later...