HybridZ

Led Zeppelin are theiving bastards???

JMortensen

If they were covering a song I'd understand, but they actually claimed to write the songs. Apparently the lady who wrote the Joan Baez song eventually got credit and is now shown as a co-writer of "Babe I'm Going to Leave You" on Zeppelin I albums (since the 90's or so the radio show said). Even further back Pat Boone's covers of Little Richard were covers. Sad, crappy covers, but they were covers and Boone never claimed to write Tutti Frutti. I guess few or none of these other bands ever got any credit at all. And think of the money that was made... insane.

And take a look at a ot of Metallica's older stuff. A lot of those are songs that they didn't write (Whiskey in a Jar, and Bob Seger's Turn the Page for example). And they complain about people stealing their music, to the point of pulling songs off of youtube which fans turned into background music for their personal videos....

Hearing that Zepplin did that though... wow...

And take a look at a ot of Metallica's older stuff. A lot of those are songs that they didn't write (Whiskey in a Jar, and Bob Seger's Turn the Page for example).

Those two songs only appeared on one Metallica album, Garage, Inc., which was specifically a cover album. They didn't try to take credit for writing any of those songs.

I'm staying out of the Led Zeppelin debate, just wanted to set that straight.

Those two songs only appeared on one Metallica album, Garage, Inc., which was specifically a cover album. They didn't try to take credit for writing any of those songs.

Yes. Metallica covering "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" or "Breadfan" by Budgie and giving Budgie credit for writing the song is different than saying that you wrote it. I did a little more digging and there isn't too much debate to be had. They've lost lawsuits and paid back royalties. I was just surprised. I guess this is not a new issue for the band, but it's new to me.

I'm staying out of the Led Zeppelin debate, just wanted to set that straight.

Guess you're right about that. I just really hate Metallica...

I like Led Zeppelin, and metallica. They are in my I pod for work out songs. I don't know if it really maters who wrote the songs, I think its how they are performed. Like the Star spangled banner (for example), some people sing it and I could care less for it. But then there are some who sing it and it draws me in by the way, or style they put on it.

There was this band "the Verve" whom had a hit with "Bittersweet Symphony" in the early 00's.

Then it came out that they had used a sample of a symphonically rendered Rolling Stones song as the melody of their song.

The Stones sued, won and consequently the Verve broke up.

Later Keith Richards was asked in an interview about the incident and with an attitude of disgust said that he did not feel "flattered" by their usage but just "ripped off".

I found this highly ironic as the Rolling Stones blatantly pilfered nearly all of their early catalog from obscure and not so obscure southern American blues musicians.

I guess being a junkie must make one lose ones sense of irony.

And this is why the Rolling Stones get my vote for "WORST BAND EVER"...

Yes, Zep did redo some old blues standards and took credit. Not right to do but, there weren't really copyright laws back then. It was pretty accepted. Im sure the people credited for doing it before Zep took it from someone else. Thats how music was back then; especially blues. The same thing happens to this day with jazz and nobody cares. Half of jazz is old Miles Davis tunes. They call them standards because everyone plays them. No offense but the listed songs for metallica is far from old material. Their old tunes were actually good. Led Zeppelin was one of the greatest rock bands of all time. (Im not even a big fan; just a musicologist if you will) Their contributions to rock are heard everyday. If you dug around you'd find out that this is REALLY common. Especially back in the day. Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes. "The Best Musicians are Thieves Who Haven't Been Caught." So Zep kicks a##!

This is why hip hop sounds like it does because there is going to be no way for anyone to repackage and tidy it up for mass comsumption without it being obvious where it is from to begin with.

And they sample the hell out of everyone anyway so they are lacking in the originality department as well.

I just don't listen...

Yes. Metallica covering "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" or "Breadfan" by Budgie and giving Budgie credit for writing the song is different than saying that you wrote it. I did a little more digging and there isn't too much debate to be had. They've lost lawsuits and paid back royalties. I was just surprised. I guess this is not a new issue for the band, but it's new to me.

Excellent!! I'm glad someone else remembers that album.

I sang that song last weekend after teaching a friend the riff because he challenged me that I couldn't sing "real metallica" and then went on to play riffs from the black album.

I still like Zeppelin, even though they did pilfer their music and claim it as their own. I like their music. At least they paid back royalties to the original authors.

The Keith Richards comment irritates the crap out of me though...

Most musicians at some point or another steal other artist's stuff. I do it. If I hear a riff that I like, I'll grab my guitar learn it and see if I can make it "better" or mine.