HybridZ

I Love Boost!!!!!!!!!!!

Challenger

Well I got it this morning. Its an 81 280zxt, new tires and battery, a little rust, runs and drives well, good brakes, T-tops... and TURBO! The car was impounded for having an unlicensed driver, car went to auction PO friend bought it then sold it to the PO. He bought it for a winter car instead of his Corvette... Not sure on the reasoning for buying another RWD sports car... He only had it for 2 months and sold it to me.

I cannot believe how much different of a powerband this thing has compared to my RAV4. When you step on it it doesnt feel like its accelerating since the RPMs dont go way up but it sure is! Once you hit ~45-50 in 3rd it really takes off!

There is something wrong with the engine, hopefully it just needs a tune up. Also a couple times when I got it up to 4000rpm I heard a pop. Im assuming this is the pop off valve. I didnt see the wastegate opening when I cracked the throttle with the hood open (throttling it manually) Im not sure if the car has to have a load on it to build boost so not sure if its a problem. Also it died on me a few times as I was coming to a stop light and as I was waiting for the light. It also seems to hesitate above 4k.. hopefully its all semi minor stuff.

Anyways got the car for $550! :) Im going to be driving it for the next month or so instead of my RAV4, Ill get it running really nice then pull the motor for my 78 and part out the rest.

Im really excited, for the last 7 years Ive been dumping money into a car I have yet to drive. This was much cheaper and I am able to go out a drive it! It will hold me off till I can get my brakes finished and tires mounted on my 78.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Also it had a Z Specialties license plate rim, Im hoping they would have done some kind of work on the car in the recent past.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got it this morning. Its an 81 280zxt, new tires and battery, a little rust, runs and drives well, good brakes, T-tops... and TURBO! The car was impounded for having an unlicensed driver, car went to auction PO friend bought it then sold it to the PO. He bought it for a winter car instead of his Corvette... Not sure on the reasoning for buying another RWD sports car... He only had it for 2 months and sold it to me.

I cannot believe how much different of a powerband this thing has compared to my RAV4. When you step on it it doesnt feel like its accelerating since the RPMs dont go way up but it sure is! Once you hit ~45-50 in 3rd it really takes off!

There is something wrong with the engine, hopefully it just needs a tune up. Also a couple times when I got it up to 4000rpm I heard a pop. Im assuming this is the pop off valve. I didnt see the wastegate opening when I cracked the throttle with the hood open (throttling it manually) Im not sure if the car has to have a load on it to build boost so not sure if its a problem.

Anyways got the car for $550! :) Im going to be driving it for the next month or so instead of my RAV4, Ill get it running really nice then pull the motor for my 78 and part out the rest.

Im really excited, for the last 7 years Ive been dumping money into a car I have yet to drive. This was much cheaper and I am able to go out a drive it! It will hold me off till I can get my brakes finished and tires mounted on my 78.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Also it had a Z Specialties license plate rim, Im hoping they would have done some kind of work on the car in the recent past.

Congrats. I've been meaning to buy another. There is a first gen mr2 that I might contact the owners of and offer him $500. The problem is its been sitting in a parking lot for a while, so I have no idea whats up with it.

After typing that, I should probably walk away from that :P.

I didnt see the wastegate opening when I cracked the throttle with the hood open (throttling it manually) Im not sure if the car has to have a load on it to build boost so not sure if its a problem.

Correct, the engine needs to be under a load to build boost, so you shouldn't see the wastegate actuator arm moving. Way to go with the $550 pricetag - great deal! If you think it's great now, wait until you start turning the boost up :burnout:

Congrats. I've been meaning to buy another. There is a first gen mr2 that I might contact the owners of and offer him $500. The problem is its been sitting in a parking lot for a while, so I have no idea whats up with it.

After typing that, I should probably walk away from that :P.

Yeah, probably a good idea. I've worked on a turbo MR2 and I must say, I'll never own one.

Correct, the engine needs to be under a load to build boos

Are you confident about this? I am pretty sure that my turbo spools up and produces boost when I rev it in nuetral. Probably not as much as the engine won't be working as hard (Consuming less air/fuel and therefore less exhaust = turbo spinning slower), but I think it will still produce pressure.

so you shouldn't see the wastegate actuator arm moving

I aggree, I don't think you will see your wastegate arm actuate as it will only open when it releases pressure (Happens when it gets to the pressure it is set at).

The only experience I have had with popping has not been associated with the Blow off valve operating. I have had the Blow off Valve "Blow Off" my intake. That made a pretty loud popping noise. I also had an intercooler tubing do the same thing and make the same noise.

The other thing it may be (I also noticed that you said it was hesitating above 4k) is a missfire. That noise will be coming from your exhaust though.

Just read through your post again and realised that you had this noise happen a couple of times above 4k. I don't think it will be a hose coming off like I said earlier as the pressure in your intake wouldn't increase again until you fixed the air leak.

P.S. Enjoy the feeling, it sure does feel different then a N/A engine.

Unless my boost gauge is off, I can get close to 0" manifold pressure by revving the engine, but I haven't seen it go positive. Turbo diesels, on the other hand, I've been able to build at least a good 10psi of boost revving the engine in neutral on a 6.0L Ford powerstroke.

ah, I can see why it wouldn't build boost unless there's load. because unless you want to rape the rev limiter (if there even is one) you'd have to close the butterfly to hold the revs to a certian point. now, if you had a rev limiter or something, it probably would build boost while raping the limiter. right?

sweet as, cheap cars are fun.

hey, seeing as you spent next to nothing on buying it, how hard would it be to convince you to put proper gull wing doors on it?

i was reading some thread in the interior section and they mentioned gull wings, and a T top would be the perfect starting platform.

you'd only need to make a frame around the door, and up to the top.

Little update. Drove it over to Idaho and back. Total of about 120 miles. Made it home in 2 pieces (t top trim fell off as I left :) )

It still was stumbling, any RPM. I would just be driving along and the RPM's will drop down and in some cases just stall the car. The engine will stay running since the car is moving, within a second the engine is fine and the RPMs go back up. I was driving along at 70 and it start to stumble so I put it in nuetral, the engine slowly ran down and then stalled.. :( When it didnt stumble it pulled nicely, would quickly get up to 85.

Also, when you get on it it goes up to about 4500 rpm and then kind of stays there, the car wont shift up Im assuming the computer assumes its still accelerating?

I also noticed when you rev it in place it will go up to about 3500 and then it starts to surge its way up to 5000 or so.

Lastly when you step on it from a stop it has a hard time..

So far from what Im reading sometimes this is an issue dealing with the electrical connections and a matter of cleaning them up. Checking for condensation, any corrosion, etc. Either way Ill go through all the connections tomorrow, replace the plugs, check the fuel filter/injectors, cat, vacume leaks, timing, distributor, maybe pull the j pipe to check out the turbine. If Im able to get my hands on a pressure tester Ill check the compression as well.

Hopefully one of these will be the solution, if theres anything else I might check let me know, it will be much appreciated.

Also Marc, gave you a call, you must be out. Give me a call in the morning, Im setting aside tomorrow to work on the car.