HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Hey Blakt out,

I Like how you have it all TIG welded I just hope you're not paying to much for this exhaust, these welds are Amateur at best. These guys might be great at other things but the welder needs to go back to school. Like I said I hope your not paying Top Shelf Price here

What's wrong with the welds?

This is exhaust after all, cosmetics should be the last concern. That said, I'm thinking all of those welds look pretty legit. If you must dissect it, the only irregularities are where they overlap because the complex shapes were spot welded first and then closed up afterwards, but the heat and penetration are apparent, there's no real indication that they could be weak or contain any leaks. Sure you can tell it's been done by hand, but they are very even and consistent nonetheless. If you think those welds are sub par then you must be really spoiled imo...

Its wonderful to see people put in this amount of time and resources in an old Datsun. I am way past my bedtime here, but i couldn't stop reading..:)

You are definately going the right way here, I salute you!!

I have for the last couple of years been working on a -72 myself, it always takes more time and cost more than assumed.... . I am currently installing the AZC coilovers, brakes and control arms, -then I'm gonna put in a JDM alu V8;)

I have a project thread here: http://www.evo.no/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

...-its in norwegian;)

Keep up the good work,

Its wonderful to see people put in this amount of time and resources in an old Datsun. I am way past my bedtime here, but i couldn't stop reading..:)

I have for the last couple of years been working on a -72 myself, it always takes more time and cost more than assumed.... . I am currently installing the AZC coilovers, brakes and control arms, -then I'm gonna put in a JDM alu V8;)

I have a project thread here: http://www.evo.no/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

...-its in norwegian;)

Keep up the good work,

Wow man. Your car looks amazing! LOVE the solution to the dash that you came up with. Alcantara with deviated stitching... never thought of that.

I love Norwegians. I was in Italy for a while, and a buddy from Oslo rode his BMW motorcycle all the way down to where we were (an hour north of Milan).

Thanks for the compliments, but yours seems to be a real shocker! What JDN alum V8 can you get ahold of?

Jared

Ive decided to go for the Lexus 1uzfe engine. I know its not right for the Nissan purists, but I am chasing functionality and performance above that.

I have considered Audi 4,2, BMW E39 M5 and the VH45 aswell, but ended up going for Lexus. There's a couple of guys dealing with these engines close to where i live, so that will make easier access to parts and expertice on this engine. I will go NA and aim for 400hp. We'll see how it goes;)

Wow man. Your car looks amazing! LOVE the solution to the dash that you came up with. Alcantara with deviated stitching... never thought of that.

I love Norwegians. I was in Italy for a while, and a buddy from Oslo rode his BMW motorcycle all the way down to where we were (an hour north of Milan).

Thanks for the compliments, but yours seems to be a real shocker! What JDN alum V8 can you get ahold of?

Jared

ROVdriver,

I agree with Blakt Out . That is a beatiful car. Love the interior, best I have seen, very tastfully done. I like it better than mine. I was at the West Coast Z Nationals 2009 and your interior is beyond anything that I saw there.

It probably looks very good to a person that never welded for a living. Well My professions is a Pipe Welder and If i TIG welded like that guy they probably would tell me to pack my ♥♥♥♥ and go home. One of the other major thing I noticed that he did not capped off the ends and feed the stainless piping with Argon which will cause it to "Sugar up" It basically will give you bad penetration which can cause your exhaust to crack at the welds.

Also if you haven't already done this mod, I would have your Stainless headers Ceramic coat them because when stainless gets hot it loves to crack.

So if it should ever crack at the welds later down the road, he better not charge you. Not trying to be negative nancy cause I totally envy your car, just giving you an opinion on these welds as a pipe welder.

B.B.

...-its in norwegian;)

Keep up the good work,

That interior is beautiful and the exterior color is a great match to it. You two make my car look like a pile of junk lol. ROVdriver, where did you get those seats?

Was that a California license plate?

• 4 weeks later...
Well, my stuff got back from being thermal coated silver.

I couldn't even get past that part.

Silver.

That just isn't fair!!!!!!!!

Baneful Indignation!! Envy most Potent!!!! GRRRR!! Now I have seen everything.

Hats off to you, as always! This is intended to be tongue-in-cheek.