HybridZ

N/A with straight pipes?

Empire

I love the twice pipe set up, but I'm thinking even louder (and cheaper). Has anyone run a 4-2 header and mated it to some straight pipes (noresonator, no muffler) maybe with some nice tips for looks? I saw some vids online and look pretty nice. Would you loose much power? Any drawbacks aside from being a heatscore and pissing off the neighbourhood?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I know. I was just saying that I have a similar set-up to what you're describing. I've heard my car with an open header and its LOUD. Don't get me wrong, I love loud cars but this would definitely be too loud to drive around town or anything. I would assume that the pipe (even w/o the muffler) would quiet it down some but it would still probably be too loud. I don't know for sure though.

IF you really want loud, try a dual megaphone setup:

DSC00021.jpg

This car is loud, painfully loud. I've been behind this car on the race track and thought I had something seriously wrong with my car. I could feel the vibrations from that exhaust through the chassis of my car.

It is basically a 6-3-2 header, with dual pipes running back to flared tips. No mufflers. Not recommended for the street.

Pete

I like that dual megaphone set-up. Do those tips add to the sound? Who makes them?

Also, how are you supposed to run duals for the center exit? Tank is clearly in the way from what I can see under my car.

Not too worried about the cops. I've got a foxbody stang with steamrollers and skinnies, headers, no cats, flowmasters, and a 5 inch cowl hood. Haven't had a problem with that one and i've had it 2 years.

I would only do a straight pipe on a turbocharged car because it's at least a little bit more driveable. Straight pipes on n/a's are just stupid loud and don't have a particularly nice tone to top it off. But my SR20 w/ a 3" mandrel bent straight pipe sounds great though. :D Tons of NICE backfires on decel and just overall a raw growl that sounds MEAN. It really isn't too loud at all too if I drive normal, especially on the freeway. Trust me just put one really nice muffler and call it done.

I like that dual megaphone set-up. Do those tips add to the sound? Who makes them?

Also, how are you supposed to run duals for the center exit? Tank is clearly in the way from what I can see under my car.

Not too worried about the cops. I've got a foxbody stang with steamrollers and skinnies, headers, no cats, flowmasters, and a 5 inch cowl hood. Haven't had a problem with that one and i've had it 2 years.

That exhaust was custom made by the folks at Bob Sharp racing back in the 70s. The original gas tank was replaced with a fuel cell.

Pete

im guessing the OP has never been sitting outside a cafe on the weekend chatting with friends and had his conversation interrupted by some jackass driving by with stright pipes. And willing to give up power in order to be loud...stupidest thing i've ever heard.

sorry bro - but people like you annoy me.

im guessing the OP has never been sitting outside a cafe on the weekend chatting with friends and had his conversation interrupted by some jackass driving by with stright pipes. And willing to give up power in order to be loud...stupidest thing i've ever heard.

I think it's like the Harley Davidson "Look at me" mentality. Yea, everyone looks at "you" and says "what an idot". How Harley dealers get away with swapping stock pipes for open pipes on new bikes before they leave the showroom is beyond me. "Awesome bike dude", "What?, I can't hear you". :lmao:

I have the 6-2-1 MSA headers on my L28 with 2.5" piping and a 30" glass pack at the end. It has a nice tone to it, and it can be quite if you drive conservatively. I do feel a bit of low end torque loss though. I would put at least 1 glass pack on the setup.

Looking back I wish I hadn't cut the muffler off and put the Ansa style 'resonator' on the back. It's 6-2-1 headers on 2.5" pipe, no cat or muffler.

I've got 1 ticket and 3 warnings because of this setup, and it is aweful on the interstate with the stock 5 Speed. I've never been pulled over while driving my stock V6 Accord. It's not pleasant at all and I can't hear the radio.

If I could go back and do it again I would find a muffler or something to put in front of the pipes.

if it's something that HE likes or is interested in, don't outright say that "people" like him annoy you. that's jus a tad harsh don't you think :wink:

you might say "I find the straight pipe setup annoying because it's so loud."

hybridz is a great place because it has so many different opinions. everyone's should be respected.

I think it's like the Harley Davidson "Look at me" mentality. Yea, everyone looks at "you" and says "what an idot". How Harley dealers get away with swapping stock pipes for open pipes on new bikes before they leave the showroom is beyond me. "Awesome bike dude", "What?, I can't hear you". :lmao:

I actually find that quite amazing haha. I've never ridden a Harley or something quite that loud (motorcycle wise) but I think that if you're gonna ride a bike, it better be louder than my Z so I don't miss you in my blind spot and hit you :lol: