HybridZ

N/A with straight pipes?

Empire

Loud pipes on bikes are good. However showing off that your bike is loud by blipping the throttle at stop lights or running it to the red line on take off is a bit over-the-top. I personally ride a bike and wouldn't ride it without a loud pipe. There's too many people who don't pay attention to where I'm at.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loud pipes on bikes are good. However showing off that your bike is loud by blipping the throttle at stop lights or running it to the red line on take off is a bit over-the-top. I personally ride a bike and wouldn't ride it without a loud pipe. There's too many people who don't pay attention to where I'm at.

I agree 100%. I don't like it when people repeatedly blip at a stop light. Jus a tad over the top imo

icapture: what the hell is your problem? I asked a question regarding an exhaust set-up. People like you with no ounce of respect for fellow enthusiast are the ones that annoy me. I'm not some 16 year old kid with a Honda Civic looking to race people at the lights. I drive a 2007 Alitma 4 banger to work everyday, work at a real job where I actually use my brain, then go home. If I want my weekend toy to be loud, that's my option. I don't do things to get attention. I like loud cars and bikes because that's what I like. A Harley should be loud, it's part of the experience. If I had wanted a quiet bike I'd go get a Tomos scooter. Stop judging people you don't even know because your an internet forum "toughguy". If you've got nothing informative to add, take off.

If I want my weekend toy to be loud, that's my option.

And if someone wants to pee on your parade, that's their option. Fair, isn't it? I mean, if you can do what you please, can't somebody else do what they please? You get to annoy others, they get to annoy you too?

The problem here is, things you do affect other lives. You seem to have missed that point, and in that sense you do sound like "some 16 year old kid with a Honda Civic". Grown-ups know that there are other people out there, too, and they matter to themselves as much as you matter to you, and their happiness and comfort counts just as much as yours.

I wish there was a way to implement voting into threads on this forum. Creating a poll when you create a thread is a great way to get a bunch of opinions and responses without a bunch of lame flame posts.

I bet if you set this poll up with just two options: 1) N/A straight pipes, vs 2) N/A muffled, you would get a 10 to 1 vote for N/A muffled. Of course there are varying degrees of muffled, but I think 90% or more of the people on this forum have before and would again advise against running an N/A L28 with straight pipes. It is very loud and not the greatest sound.

I've had several guises of exhaust on my car, both N/A and turbo, and even running a straight pipe on the turbo setup was only barely within the limits of comfortably acceptable for me. There's just so much reverberation and drone in these cars that it seems hard to live with unless you have or desire permanent hearing damage.

Each to their own I say...but anyways, I had a twin pipe setup for the total of about 3 days! It was just unbearable driving around; plenty of "thumbs up" by people who know the car but it just drew too much attention. Went back to the exhaust place and re-did the twin pipes to a single resonator with a 2.5" exit. It still ran the twin up until the diff then joined into one before the rear resonator. Before it was just a "hotdog" and straight out. Might be good for racing but sometimes we do get caught exceeding the decibel level and have to shut them up; only at some tracks thankfully!

before_thumb.jpg

after_thumb.jpg

twins_thumb.jpg

Edited by zedman240
spelling!

...I think that if you're gonna ride a bike, it better be louder than my Z so I don't miss you in my blind spot and hit you :lol:

260c coupe; no pillars- no blindspot - no worries, just swerve and smile :-D

I actually had a l26 at one point which I cut the cat out of and had a very simple muffler on. It ended up being so much louder than expected even using that simple setup. My brother drives it now and I can hear him coming 2 blocks away even with his put-put <2000rpm drive-style.

I use a 6-2-1 with cat and muffler now and its much more of a drivable car. The loud noise was fun for a while but i found it became impractical and annoying at times.

If you do do it though why not go all out and run some monster chrome pipes out and up the side of the car - bosozoku style!

260c coupe; no pillars- no blindspot - no worries, just swerve and smile :-D

I actually had a l26 at one point which I cut the cat out of and had a very simple muffler on. It ended up being so much louder than expected even using that simple setup. My brother drives it now and I can hear him coming 2 blocks away even with his put-put <2000rpm drive-style.

I use a 6-2-1 with cat and muffler now and its much more of a drivable car. The loud noise was fun for a while but i found it became impractical and annoying at times.

If you do do it though why not go all out and run some monster chrome pipes out and up the side of the car - bosozoku style!

Haha, I'm quite familiar with that style and it's totally not for me! I don't think that the blindspot in the Z is all the big or bad but another point, personally, that I'd want a loud bike is that there are soo many drivers out there that just don't pay attention. Two crotch rockets the other day flew past me while I was doin 90 at probably 130 or so. I couldn't hear them until they were flying past me weaving in and out of traffic. Crazy! :icon52:

There's just so much reverberation and drone in these cars that it seems hard to live with unless you have or desire permanent hearing damage.

I'm deaf, 93% loss, rated at "Profound Loss", on the audiologist tests my scores just barely scrape along the floor, and a couple of test freqs spots actually drop below the graph bottom.

And I prefer mufflers! too much noise is just too much noise. A nice exhaust note is musical and tuneful, too much of a good thing is just annoyingly noisy.

My glass packs were 12$ a side. I cannot comment on the noise level since i am not running yet, but I think running straight pipes to save a buck doesn't make sense. I would try and fit some small glasspacks at least.

I am going to run a crossover from my 6-to 2 setup to help eliminate the drone I read about. I want a healthy tone from my inline, I think it sounds good, but I don't want overbearing .

12553_thumb.attach

12554_thumb.attach

I love the twice pipe set up, but I'm thinking even louder (and cheaper). Has anyone run a 4-2 header and mated it to some straight pipes (noresonator, no muffler) maybe with some nice tips for looks? I saw some vids online and look pretty nice. Would you loose much power? Any drawbacks aside from being a heatscore and pissing off the neighbourhood?

Well, I don't know your setup, but i have a 72 240 with a 350 swap. i have 4-1 duals, no cats, and cherry bomb glass packs with turn down tips. i had the packs right behind the collector (under the seats) and it was way too loud. I moved them to just behind the diff (couldn't take all the way back b/c of fuel cell) and it quieted down significantly.

As for sleeper qualities, it is a head turner during start up, and it cruzes quietly. as for idle at lights, its got a light chop, but it is not loud. but when its time to open her up, there is no hiding whats under the hood:lol:

I just noticed that we can do polls now, so I am going to start a new thread with a poll and various options for exhaust on N/A cars, specifically for the L engine since other engines will be different.

I might start another poll thread with different exhaust options for turbo cars too (again L engines specifically).

These are the options I am thinking of for the N/A poll, let me know what you think:

1. Straight pipes (single or dual)

2. Straight through exhaust with a single small bullet muffler

3. Dual exhaust with 2 small bullet mufflers

4. Exhaust with a single standard sized muffler at rear

5. Exhaust with a bullet resonator in tranny tunnel and standard sized muffler at rear

Disclaimer: Obviously these setups are for track use only since ALL of us use catalytic converters on our street cars because we are so eco-friendly. :-)

Should I mention the fact that many use a resonator up front because of the drone at ~2300RPM? Give me some feedback before I post the poll. I am not sure also, if I need to differentiate better between small bullet style/sized mufflers and standard style, or maybe chambered and straight through? I dunno.

Straight pipes on n/a's are just stupid loud and don't have a particularly nice tone to top it off.

Kids. :rolleyesg

(Armand: not a shot at you by any means, bud!)

Nothing like a single megaphone on a U20 Roadster motor man... quad mikunis... a delicate blend of the japanese and the british, sheer foud cylinder nirvana... I haven't heard an L6 with a trumpet-horn exhaust before.

I just noticed that we can do polls now, so I am going to start a new thread with a poll and various options for exhaust on N/A cars, specifically for the L engine since other engines will be different.

I might start another poll thread with different exhaust options for turbo cars too (again L engines specifically).

These are the options I am thinking of for the N/A poll, let me know what you think:

1. Straight pipes (single or dual)

2. Straight through exhaust with a single small bullet muffler

3. Dual exhaust with 2 small bullet mufflers

4. Exhaust with a single standard sized muffler at rear

5. Exhaust with a bullet resonator in tranny tunnel and standard sized muffler at rear

Disclaimer: Obviously these setups are for track use only since ALL of us use catalytic converters on our street cars because we are so eco-friendly. :-)

Should I mention the fact that many use a resonator up front because of the drone at ~2300RPM? Give me some feedback before I post the poll. I am not sure also, if I need to differentiate better between small bullet style/sized mufflers and standard style, or maybe chambered and straight through? I dunno.

you guys use cats? hahaha :wink:

IF you really want loud, try a dual megaphone setup:

This car is loud, painfully loud. It is basically a 6-3-2 header, with dual pipes running back to flared tips. No mufflers. Not recommended for the street.

Pete

I didn't think it was that objectionable. I thought it sounded quite good. But to correct the statement of the duals...if that still has the same exhaust on it that it had in Syracyse it merges to a single, then back out to a double near the rear....

It had a distinctively different note than the dual megaphones originally on the vehicle, which is similar to the sound in the "Bad Day at El Mirage" You-Tube Video.

Though that is in-car, and done through a terrible microphone...

I disagree with the general consensus that a N/A L28 sounds bad without an muffler. I run an equal length header to 2.5" straight that exits through right before the drivers rear wheel. I agree that it is pretty damn loud, however, rowing down through the gears puts a smile on my face everytime. Granted my car is not a daily driver, and by the time I finally get around to driving it I am in the mood for some inline 6 decibels. Ive heard my car through a free flowing muffler and with the straight pipes and the high rpm off throttle transitions sound incredible. True, it would be irresponsible to piss off everybody in your neighborhood and act like a redneck jerk, but I just stay out of the throttle until I'm actually in a place where I can apply it which is generally far away from any population density. So in summary, to each his own but when I'm driving my TDI jetta to school, I'm dreaming about my L28 screaming WOT

I disagree with the general consensus that a N/A L28 sounds bad without an muffler. I run an equal length header to 2.5" straight that exits through right before the drivers rear wheel. I agree that it is pretty damn loud, however, rowing down through the gears puts a smile on my face everytime. Granted my car is not a daily driver, and by the time I finally get around to driving it I am in the mood for some inline 6 decibels. Ive heard my car through a free flowing muffler and with the straight pipes and the high rpm off throttle transitions sound incredible. True, it would be irresponsible to piss off everybody in your neighborhood and act like a redneck jerk, but I just stay out of the throttle until I'm actually in a place where I can apply it which is generally far away from any population density. So in summary, to each his own but when I'm driving my TDI jetta to school, I'm dreaming about my L28 screaming WOT

wow :icon52:

Right by the wheel well!?