HybridZ

Opinions on a cheap, fun, commuter car

BayAreaZT

jknc90 - I've considered a maxima but it's kinda at the bottom of the list. I know they are decent cars but they just seem a little boring to me.

I can see that. I thought the same thing especially when I switched from driving my Z everyday, to driving that. But I put a little money into it with a couple of basic bolt-ons, nice stereo, and some wheels and its not too bad. Of course, you could always do a VQ35 swap lol.

Good luck with deciding.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1991 miata, bought it for $1300 with 92k on it. It is a perfect daily driver. I don't have a hardtop but I would probably want one in the long term, as the soft top isn't the best in weather. I love the car though

• Administrators
Thanks for all the feedback.

Braap - Thanks for putting evil thoughts in my head. Now I have visions of a cheap E36 for now with a LSx swap in the future :twisted:

Funny thing is I just committed to such a project myself. I came to the realization that to get my LSx in my Z-32 it would require that I cut the firewall, (not willing to do that that particular Z-32), and then the need for a 4 seat car is important for my daily driver is important, so my daily driver Z-32 just sold last night and I'm in the market for a clean E36 sedan, and that will recieve my LSx and T-56 sitting in the shop becoming the new daily driver... :2thumbs:

Just in case you are serious about an LSx E36, here are 3 companies selling kits that bolt the LSx into the E36, (like the JTR kit but for the E36)

In no particular order;

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=0_1_4_63

http://www.nahrods.com/

http://www.nash8503.com/index.html

One of those kits is in 318Ti runs 11.9 @ 118 MPH! :shock::2thumbs:

Another car, bone stock F-bod LS1 runs 12.7@ 113mph on all season tires!

Teaser shots;

burnout-194x120.jpg

sml1.jpgsml4.jpg

sml2.jpgsml3.jpg

I didn't get a car yet. I've been taking my time with the search. I really thought I'd be getting a EG civic hatch because of overall price to buy and maintain and there are not a whole lot of decent e36s in my area for the amount I want to spend but there was a 325is listed this weekend that I may check out. If everything looks good I might have to pull the trigger on it. Must be something in the water at hybridZ :mrgreen:

• Administrators

As 79z mentioned, we have this awesome little car with tons of character. clown.gif(Thanks a million Mike. We couldn’t get along without it… ) It’s an '85 GL wagon, 5 speed, 4wd with hi-lo range transfer case. It has the stock 2 bbl Carburetor, idles on 3 cylinders, runs on 4 while driving, 198,9xx miles on the clock, still gets in the high 20's MPG. NEAT little car, has just enough power to barely get out of its own way, at WOT will top out at 72 MPH on flat level ground, doesn't matter which gear, 4th or 5th, 72 MPH is the drag limited top speed! :lmao: We commonly refer to it as Plan "C". When one of our main cars breaks down, we resort to Plan "B" which is the full size pickup, and if that breaks down… well you get the idea...

Right now with my Z-32 selling this last weekend and my wife’s Suburban puking its fuel pump same day, I'm driving Plan "C" :burnout: while my wife drives Plan "B"

A straight buddy of mine has an MX5 Miata and that little thing is quick. He even got rid of some of the stigma by puttin a body kit on it and painting it HEMI orange.

The driver you want is a 2004-2005 MazdaSpeed Mx5 with a hard top. Turbo/6speed/torsen differential/Bose radio and ALL the MazdaSpeed good stuff for suspension. A little more than 3grand, but you'll love it. Otherwise, just sift through all the CRX ads. Their prices are going up, but if you look you'll find a good stocker or, better yet, a nice one with a Turbo Integra up front.

Good gas mileage for both of these cars and 90+ trap speeds a given. My Mx5 pulls 26mpg @80mph (steady speed 1500-5000 feet elevation).

g

As much as I like miatas, 2 seaters are out since I decided I need the back seats.

Braap - My Z is plan C and we don't have a plan B :mrgreen:

Drax - I saw your thread and I wasn't going to comment until I was actually set to go look at a car. I found a '94 5 speed 325is that I will probably look at today. Supposedly has all the maintenance records. Any suggestions on what I should look for? Congrats on the purchase BTW.

I'd just go through each system and see that everything works, or at least know what doesn't. It's not uncommon to have something not working on these cars, as many items aren't necessities and people let them go. Sunroof on my car wasn't working, I have the parts on order to fix that. Lots of little things along those lines can creep in. The onboard computer will tell you the codes though, just look at it when you shut the car off and it will cycle through them if any.

All in all, even these items aren't hard to fix on these cars. One nice thing about buying Bimmer's are almost all of them have the service records, and usually they have been well serviced. Few people buy NEW expensive car like that and balk at taking it to the dealer for service... To the benefit to those of us that pick up the cars later in their life.

Edited by Drax240z