HybridZ

timing chain slipping/car wont start

boostedZ

Did you wedge the timing chain in place before removing the cam gear? If not then the chain wasn't pulled tight enough and the tensioner probably popped out. Now you'll have to remove the front cover to put it back in place.

Did the pin that holds the cam gear to the camshaft shear or come out?

Check that before pulling the timing cover. But if your luck is like mine, the tensioner probably poped out. You should be able to shine a flashlight down into the front cover from the passenger side of the car and see if the tensioner is in place, about halfway down the chain. Good luck.

well we just took everything off again to make sure everything was correct and it was, but the car still won't start. everything seems fine, and seems to be working but it just won't start. we have fuel and spark. anyone have any ideas for me to try? im at a breaking point right now thanks

• Administrators
yes my dad said he did do that, so we're really confused rite now, we can't figure out the cause of this, we align everything like the book and when we go try and start the engine, it slips.

How do you know its slipping? I'm betting it's not.

Was the car running fine before the gasket swap?

Tell us *EXACTLY* how you set the cam timing.

BINGO

turn rotor 180* after removing dizzy and install

The rotor doesn't turn 180.

I think he is suggesting that the distributor drive gear is not in its proper position. For a quick test you can remove the distributor locking bolts and advance or retard the timing to see if it will fire.

I wouldn't suggest cranking the ignition for long periods of time with out it firing up, fuel build up could result in the ol' ECE External Combustion Event.:shock:

the car was running fine before we replaced the head gasket.

first we set the cams just how the book told us, but it wouldn't run, so then we tried setting the cam on the number 1 center point like how the previous owner had it, and the plug and crank is set just like the book told us. i'm not sure if the plugs are firing at the top of the compression stroke or exhaust stroke, how would i check that?

im totally lost on what to do. i tried falling the book and putting it back the way it was from the previous owner.

any other ideas?

thank you all in advance

You dont want to keep cranking if it doesnt start! if i were you i would just redo my timing again. its not to difficult, especially since i was able to do it just winging it.

If you are sure you have spark and fuel then i would just try and make sure you set the timing right.For the cylinder head just line it up with the mark(not to difficult) and to get the crank TDC all you have to do is put your finger on the #1 cylinder where the spark plug goes and turn the crank untill you feel air push your finger. thats how you know your on the compression stroke. to me it sounds like theres something wrong with your tenshioner, so if i were you i would just buy a whole new timming kit and do the above.