HybridZ

Chrome Paint...cheap

cygnusx1

Doing some research on chrome paint I came across a few options. There is Alsacorp that seems to be the most well known chrome paint supplier. They tout all those chrome cars that you see pop up here once and a while. Their spray can kit costs about $130 and includes chrome paint, a black base coat, and a top clear.

I found out that some of the RC Model guys are using a paint from a company called Spazstix to paint RC car bodies.

I ordered a can from Tower Hobbies for under $10. I was skeptical. The spray can came with a glossy black cap. Unlike the ones you see in the auto parts store that have a chrome cap on a paint that sprays basic silver.

I took off the black cap, and sprayed it with the Spazstix Mirror Chrome. I was floored. I am not sure how durable it is yet. It needs a clear top coat (waterbased) which I need to find. But for the price, the ease of application, and the look, I am amazed. I plan on removing the tail light trim and giving it a quick spray this weekend. I just need to find some waterbased clear to top it off.

Here is a photo of the cap that I sprayed with the can. The cap was black. This is after three VERY light coats of Spaztix Mirror Chrome.

498387436_6Uhsw-M.jpg

Here is another guy that sprayed plastic spoons with the stuff.

The last one is Spazstix Mirror Chrome uncoated.

SpazKillFutureRaw-vi.jpg

That looks way better than any spray paint "chrome" Ive seen.

I know krylon was selling a water based version of there regular spray paint call H20

http://krylon.com/products/h2o_latex/

I don't know if they make clear though.

I would assume any 100% acrylic clear should work , but it might yellow outside and getting it to lay down flat might be a challenge.

Well you will find that this looks very good when done right. I believe it to be durable because the local hobby shop use to paint the bodies with this paint and after a season the paint was in decent shape. I say decent shape because a RC car takes its share of abuse and the motor being so close to the paint didn't discolor it at all. Can't wait to see what the tail light trims look like when you spray em.

Why not paint a sacraficial part or piece of steel and leave it outside, or, store it under the hood of your daily driver and see what happens over time? Better yet, do two panels/parts one outside to nature, and the other under the hood of a daily driver.

That would be a good real world test of the product for our possible uses.

Just a thought.

Scott

I painted some plastic spoons this morning.

The chrome looks like a good polished stainless steel. The problem is that the metal flake rubs off onto your hands pretty easily. It definitely needs a clear top coat. I tried a non-waterbased clear coat and it turned it into a satin silver finish which was actually really nice, but not chrome. I am going to try to find a water-based clear. I hear that there is a product called Crystal Clear and one called Future that is waterbased. Search continues.

Meanwhile look at the white plastic spoons.

BARE and CLEARED

498664610_mgza5-M.jpg

I am getting a can from my local hobby supply store this Friday ($13.00) I will try spraying some extra 280 A/C vents I have, and put a coat of 2 part auto clear see what happens. Hope it works I need something like this to restore my 240 vents among other stuff. Will let you know...

Yea, I'm thinking bumpers too. An alternative to re-chroming, maybe not. But as a new look, yes! I really like the creamy-silver look of jet hot coating, and I think 240Z bumpers would look great with that finish. I'm wondering what clear urethane would do to it?

At a minimum it's a cheap way to make new flatware for the Wife! :mrgreen:

But seriously, nice work Dave!

Pete