HybridZ

S30 Fiberglass dash

i am about to try and make a fiberglass dash for my Z. i was thinking of spraying something on the old one and using it as a form, or maybe designing a new one. my first question would be what could i spray on my current dash to make it into a male style mold? second would be the easiest way to mount the dash, i want to make it a total of 6 bolts to keep the whole thing in place. if anybody has any advice or prior experience, i would appreciate some help

you know they sell fiberglass dash's right? as for the bolts 2 on the bottom and 4 on top would work, but you still have the screws that hold the cover on the top. i would recommend the fiberglass dash and Zeus fasteners as that would be the most simple and less time consuming then trying to make a custom doo-hickey dash out of the stock one.

thanks guys i appreciate it. this seems like its going to be fun and the stock dash weighs a TON. i had no idea that there was an entire steel sheetmetal structure under the factory dash, probably for deflecting bullets or something:mrgreen::mrgreen:. i would buy a pre made dash, but:

1) i have the skill and knowledge to make my own

2) $$$

3) i can tweak the one that i make to my liking

4) $$$

5) $$$

by the way happy easter, but more importantly happy MotoGP season, which started today.

My dash has one of those covers glued on it over the old cracked one, previous owner installed it. I cant just cut out the metal frame and somehow just bolt the plastic dash to the car? I haven't looked under the dash or anything, and never taken a dash out of any car so forgive my lack of knowledge in this department.

Is the metal frame a neccessity if keeping HVAC? Can the HVAC be put into the fiberglass dash without a frame? I'm sure guages are light enough to just be held up by the figerglass/plastic, right?

• 2 months later...

Is the metal frame a neccessity if keeping HVAC? Can the HVAC be put into the fiberglass dash without a frame? I'm sure guages are light enough to just be held up by the figerglass/plastic, right?

Unfortunately, the metal frame holds the hvac controls

I have a dash mold being made on the S30 280z dash and will be doing a 240z dash next. I will be offing them in Carbon Fiber. I will post pics when they are finished and will be offing them forsale sometime this fall...just in time for Xmas.

• 4 weeks later...

My dash will be make of sheet aluminum, easy, really light, weld a couple tabs and Zeus it in. It doesn't basically you cut it to fit around the curve, bend it where you like it to go down, you can make a console piece as well, probably even manage to fit ac and radio components if you wish. You just have to make the mounts. Hole saw for your gauge holes, nice, clean, race car sorta look.