HybridZ

Powerstroke or Cummins in a 280zx?

sanders8800

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at the LD28 and RD28T as options for possible transplants. I think I could convince an RD to be happy with compound turbos spinning up to 30psi of boost...

I would rather the LD28 because it would look stock in the car and it is more readily available in BC than the RD. I don't know if the indirect injection LD would handle 30 psi of boost.

On either engine, I would still shave the pistons back to 18.5:1 to handle the increase in boost.

I've got a 12v Cummins in my F350 with the rotary injection pump, and I'm hooked on diesel. I would somehow try to modify the LD or RD to take the bosch VE pump, see what kind of injectors I could get for it. I know everyone loves the P7100 but they produce way too much ignition clack for my taste.

• 1 month later...

if you have to have a diesel why not use a modifed Mercedes Diesel? they are cheaper and fairly easy to modify And a Heck of a lot lighter too. The VW can be made to generate a lot of power too. a Cummins 4bt,6bt are just wayy to heavy for you application. also you could look at a modifed 6.5 GM they are good engines if you get the right years and there are forums dedicated to them .The 6.5 also uses regular chev mounts and transmissions(modified governor)

have you thought about the mercedes 2.7L straight 5 from their delivery van? I think in the US it's either the dodge or freightliner sprinter? I've driven one for work, and for being a giant bloated beast, it moves it out pretty well, and gets incredible mileage.

• 1 month later...

Efficiency log for: Z - 1977 Datsun 280Z 2+2 custom

• Lifetime Fuel Economy: 38.37
  • 90-day Fuel Economy: 38.37
  • (I added vortex generators tooday) 3-tank Fuel Economy: 43.06
  • EPA Rating (% over): 22 (74.4091%)
  • Total fills: 29
  • Average cost per gallon: $1.12
  • Average cost per fill: $3.49
  • Average cost per mile: $0.03
  • Total gallons used: 90.6
  • Total miles traveled: 3476.7
  • Total cost: $101.47
  • Total saved: 67.43 gallons
  • Total saved: $75.52
  • Average tank distance: 119.89

I am very happy with my LD28TI

16096_thumb.attach

16097_thumb.attach

• 1 year later...

Yea but a 4bt still weighs 800 lbs. I looked into it.

And that UPS truck motor will shake your teeth out. A VW TDI would make a good diesel swap, lots of aftermarket support, you can get 200hp out of one, and lots of torque. 40-50mpg easy.

Cummins diesel blocks can be bought in alluminum, I have one in my pulling truck, Bigger injectors, gt42 turbo, bigger intercooler, the works, but I'am safley turning close to 900hp but drivability is a factor, For a drag car it would be alright but as a daily driver it wouldnt be practical. Plus I have to inject water to cool the motor and the the rich black smoke would get annoying in a car. But I would love to see one driving down the road. It might be more practical to buy a diesel motor from a 81 to 83 maxima and building it up a little. just my thoughts and ideas on the subject. Good luck on your build.

I am still a fan of a mercedes-benz om606.962. Its a DOHC 4valve/cylinder 3.0L I6. guys in europe are getting 550rwhp to 600rwhp WITHOUT doing anything to the internals. just a bigger turbo, better manifolds and a MYNA or similar built injection pump and you are good to go. add in a 88 300ZXT 5spd with a .711 5th gear and a 3.36 R200, and I bet 50mpg wouldnt be an issue at cruise. plus, its still indirect injected, so running biodiesel wouldnt be an issue. Ive got one tracked down, now all I need is the money to buy it! HA ha!