HybridZ

Powerstroke or Cummins in a 280zx?

sanders8800

It's 2 heads. One cut in half and the other has the number 1 and 4 cylinder cut off it.

That's right... I had a brain fart or something.

As for a diesel, you won't get the power out of an LD28 that you will out of a powerstroke or cummins.

Absolutely agree.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I found so far is a white Z that had the crank from a LD28 in his L28 to make a 3.2 ltr. I didn't expect the KA head thing to be produced, just mentioned it because if it works than anyone could make it. I was just thinking out loud. Is there any DOHC heads for L-series engines? I saw one on youtube, but from what I read that was a rare datsun factory thing. I thought OS Giken made one but dont see anything on their site or anything.

I seriously doubt "just anyone could do it". User here 1 fast z is a very experienced and knowledgable machinist, not even considering his age! You'd have to find a very brave machinest who's willing to take the gamble to try it out.

And there isn't any DOHC that's truly worth having for the cost in my opinion. 1 fast z did it for almost entirely his own labor. The cost of parts were nothing compared to the blood sweat and tears I'm sure went into it.

It's 2 heads. One cut in half and the other has the number 1 and 4 cylinder cut off it.

As for a diesel, you won't get the power out of an LD28 that you will out of a powerstroke or cummins.

The good thing is that it basically bolts in, you can bolt the turbo manifold to it, and modify the fuel setup to compensate for boost.

Um..that does not add up by the way.

-half of 4 = 2cyl

.......................> = 4cyl

-cyl 1 & 4 = 2cyl

Besides it was 3 heads. Front two-Middle two-Rear two.

Look closely, you can see the sections.

intercoolerpics1_018-600x450.jpg

Wow, I just checked back with this thread, and it is mainly about arguing about my head! ha, anyways, it is one COMPLETE KA head, wire EDM cut down the middle. Then it is one other head that has cylinder one and cylinder 4 wire edm cut off as well. Then with very precise surface grinding, you get the correct thickness. So yes, only TWO ka heads are needed.

Diesel engines typically get about 30% better fuel economy for a given amount of fuel, are simpler in many ways (no spark plugs, no coil, no cap, no rotor), are usually more robust and last longer, have gobs of low end torque......

The downside to the Maxima diesel engine is that its an old school indirect injection engine instead of the modern direct injection engine style, which means when you compare them to a modern diesel it has less power and torque, less economy, more noise, and more pollution.

I'd think a modern BMW diesel 6 cylinder would be a great choice, but good luck finding one outside of Europe......

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Mercedes OM606 was an engine I was thinking about putting in at one time.

Friend of mine just put Mercedes OM606 in his -72 240Z with mercedes own automatic tranny and Holset. The power will be about 500hp and 800nm. All I can say is that it will be fast in a 1/4mile when tires and all other stuff will hold. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Diesels are getting much lighter.

Volve makes an aluminum block straight 5, yes 5. Honda is promising an aluminum block v-6 that gets 60 MPG. Mercedes is building one too IIRC. I wonder about the reliability of an all aluminum turbo diesel though.

There are several diesels made of Compacted Graphite Iron or CGI. I've just started looking into CGI apparently it's stiffer than iron so they can use thinner castings, the blocks weigh about 25% less than iron blocks. The Ford/Jaguar 2.7 and 3.0 TDI CGI block V-6 is reported to weigh around 450 lb complete.

http://www.tupy.com.br/downloads/guesser/compacted_graphite_iron_for_diesel.pdf

hear is the thing, i am sure that it can be done for lots of money and lots of welding on the frame of the car. i have a 2002 2500 dodge ram. if i remember right the motor with trans and fluids weighed like 1600lbs... mind you you still can get a cummins... but it would have to be the 4bt. my uncle put one in his jeep and it had the almost the same mounting height. i have my truck fire ringed with arp head studs stock internals and i am running a turbo from a Volvo dump truck plus 250 hp edge nozles and a edge juice with attitude. last time i dynod and tuned it i had 850 hp runing 63psi and over 1800 tq. the dyno stopped at 1800 so the tq is unknown. if that is the route you plan good luck and have fun keeping it strait.

mark