HybridZ

Any last things before I race

The weekend after next (May 2nd) I am planning on attending my first autox event. The oregon scca has setup an autox novice school and I'm one of up to 30 people who were let in. I've read at length about autox events online and in GRM magazine but have yet to actually witness one. In fact, the closest I've been to "racing" my car is the "spirited" driving I do on some of the empty, winding roads not far from my house. So I feel a little nervouse going into this.

My main concern is passing tech inspection, and how the car will hold up over repeated runs. I've done a few modifications to my car already, tokico springs, illumina struts, arizona z 4bbl manifold (yes yes I know :) ), 3.9 r200 diff, 280zx 5 speed, urethane bushings, hawk street pads, new falken rt-615s.

It seems to be running well, but I want no issues when I run it on the track so I'm looking for some advice on what to do these last two weeks to get the car prepped perfectly for the races. Any potential problem areas similarly setup cars have that I ought to check? Also any other advice on how to survive and get the most out of the day would be great. I dont remember being as excited and nervous over something since I was getting my license many years ago!

nut and bolt the whole car twice, look for damaged and worn parts that could be a hazard, check the wiring, plugs and wires, i would highly recommend putting a new set of plugs in the day before and the main thing is to pay attention to the school and dont be worried about your car it will be fine.

Do you have a list of tech items they'll be inspecting? Usually at autox it's pretty basic stuff, seatbelts, helmet, no major leaks, no broken lug studs, etc. A big one on a Z would be the battery hold down. No bungee cords, it needs to be BOLTED down. If your hold down is broken, you better figure something out between now and then. If you don't have a list, email the people putting it on and ask for one. In the years that I've autoxed I've only seen a very few cars get turned away for not passing tech.

One thing I'd look into is whether or not g forces are going to mess with that 4 barrel carb or not. Your tires might not produce enough grip to cause a problem with the carb, but it might be something you run into as you get faster.

nut and bolt the whole car twice, look for damaged and worn parts that could be a hazard, check the wiring, plugs and wires, i would highly recommend putting a new set of plugs in the day before and the main thing is to pay attention to the school and dont be worried about your car it will be fine.
I'll definitely try to get some new plugs in before the event. I'm probably due for new ones anyway so this will be a very welcome change.

Do you have a list of tech items they'll be inspecting? Usually at autox it's pretty basic stuff, seatbelts, helmet, no major leaks, no broken lug studs, etc. A big one on a Z would be the battery hold down. No bungee cords, it needs to be BOLTED down. If your hold down is broken, you better figure something out between now and then. If you don't have a list, email the people putting it on and ask for one. In the years that I've autoxed I've only seen a very few cars get turned away for not passing tech.

One thing I'd look into is whether or not g forces are going to mess with that 4 barrel carb or not. Your tires might not produce enough grip to cause a problem with the carb, but it might be something you run into as you get faster.

Based on some of the stuff I've read on the oregon scca website, I think they will be looking for the standard autox stuff. The only difference that I've seen is they require the participants to allow an instructor to drive the car. The battery holddown is actually one of the things I've fixed, no more bungee cord here, seems very solid. As far as the 4 bbl fueling issues, we shall see. I have a wideband controller ordered so maybe I can investigate this issue further.

Funny thing, I've actually fired up my old intallation of Live For Speed, (www.lfs.net), and setup one of their lower hp, rwd cars (the XRG I think) with similar transmission, diff, and steering ratios as my car. Its as reasonably close to a Z as one can get I'd say. Anyway, I downloaded a bunch of autox layouts and been doing some "practicing." Its probably not that useful, but it beats pissing off my neighbors

Any other advice? :)

Take it easy your first day! Be there with the intent of listening, rather than talking.

Instructors (if properly chosen) have the capability to teach you A LOT!

Since it's a novice day, I assume they'll walk the course with you as a group, pointing things out as they go. Listen close.

Try and commit the course to memory. You should be able to drive it in your head before you fire up the Z.

Things can get confusing early on, you may feel lost in a sea of cones. If in doubt, slow down and let your instructor point the way.

Don't concentrate on driving fast, concentrate instead on driving the proper line. Speed comes only after you learn how to put your car on that line every time.

Also, try not to be the hotshot jackass who cones 5+ times on their runs because they push too hard. :)

Above all, don't take it too seriously! Autox is an amazing learning experience, and it can be a whole pile of fun.

Check the gasket on your fuel cap. Its common for fuel to slosh in the tank and weep out the fuel filler.

You'll use a lot more fuel then you think (probably 1/2 a tank) so keep that in mind.

Pump up your street tires to 40 psi cold and make sure you have a way to add air, bleed off air, and accurately check tire pressures.

Make sure you have lots of brake pad and shoe, manually adjust the rear drums, bleed the brakes, and bring extra brake fluid and your bleeder bottles.

Bring a jack, jackstand, lug nut wrench, and a torque wrench. At lunch you may want to swap the tires front to back if the fronts are getting worn heavily. Bring a couple extra lug nuts.

Clean all the crap out of the interior of your car and vacuum the carpets well. It really sucks to have potato chips crumbs blow up off the floor and into your eyes as you're going into a fast corner.

Make sure the seats are well bolted down and remove all the floormats.

Have some consideration for the instructor that's going to be riding in the passenger seat:

Make sure his seatblelt works, is easy to get to, and isn't covered in grease. Get the dash wiring up out of the passenger seat footwell.

Fix any in cabin fuel and exhaust smell issues.

Make sure the passenger door closes and locks easily.

Make sure the passenger and driver's seat sliders work easily and lock in place.

Have coffee, donuts, and beer ready and give the instructor a footrub at the end of the day... :-)

Trust me on this one: "The last thing" you should do before your first race is: STAY HOME!!!

It's addictive and you can't afford it, so don't start.

Have you thought about developing a crack habit? Sure, the rush isn't quite as strong but financially, it's better for you in the long run.

Don't listen to the people on this board -- they all have that monkey on their back and like all junkies, they will encourage you to join them in their addiction. JUST SAY NO!

Relationships, careers and other interests are all going to suffer the minute you first feed this rat. Your life will be divided into two parts: "racing" and "preparing for the next race." There will be nothing else.

Example: You will develop a new type of currency: "sets of race tires." As in, "my daughter needs new braces but it is going to cost three sets of race tires..."

I'm trying to kick this habit myself (I'm up to Step 8 in Racer Rehab: removing Summit Racing from my speed-dial list) so you should listen very carefully to me when I tell you NOT to shoot-up. Stay home.

RELAX!! Thats the #1 best thing you can do to prepare. Think of your first run as more of a reconnaissance run. be quick, be smooth, but don't try and out-brake yourself or get on the gas too early. Walking the track 1000 times works for some people, but I never really know whats coming until I've been around the track once. Your second run will be way faster if you took it easy the first run, instead of getting over your head and DNFing. I know because I've made that mistake more times than I care to admit. I go the fastest when I feel like I'm going slow.

oh ya, and LFS is awesome...

• 2 weeks later...

Little delayed I know but thanks to everyone for the advice. I actually followed most of it and had an incredible experience at my first autocross event this last Saturday.

It started a little ominously for me since as I pulled in to parking behind a couple corvettes and a viper srt10. It was also pretty wet and slightly chilly out. After registration I passed tech without any issues. At first it was a little damp but dried up after lunch. Unfortunately I was in run group 2 in the afternoon and it started run right as we started our runs. I got 12 runs all together, and had an absolute blast. As they were wrapping up Portland was hit with insanely hard rain. It made driving quite scary but once home I was happy it didnt hit when I was racing.

The next day there was a regular autocross event but the weather was much better. I came just for the afternoon session and got 4 runs in. I was surprised, despite it being my second ever autocross I ran faster than a few other hot cars (WRXs, Minis, even a Miata or 2). Weather was quite nice, with a little rain just as I got in the car to go home.

Overall I had an excellent time. I dont think I drove too bad for my first/second time, but I still have a lot to learn. Here are some pictures of my car at the event. Next autocross is May 31st in Salem, I will be there! Hope to see some of you out sometime soon.

526836433_BVP8Q-O.jpg

526837348_hTKSM-O.jpg

526837825_Kw29y-O.jpg

526839757_bgMoJ-O.jpg

Here is a link to more pics of the saturday event. I saw many people with cameras on sunday's too, maybe I can track them down as well.

http://cbfamily.smugmug.com/gallery/8083693_gw7xZ#526685579_e4Vw8

Glad you had fun! I went to my first event Sunday! I placed pretty well for my first time too, although I did get beat by a completely stock Yaris... Ha! Can't wait until the next event either! We both got bit by the bug, now we're screwed!

You're hooked and screwed. Nothing to do with cars will ever be as much fun.

Its true.. I should have listened to Jon 74 260 now I am doomed.

Glad you had fun! I went to my first event Sunday! I placed pretty well for my first time too, although I did get beat by a completely stock Yaris... Ha! Can't wait until the next event either! We both got bit by the bug, now we're screwed!

Funny you mention that. I was beat on Sunday by a Yaris as well! Although this guy was running non stock tires and had coilovers. Still though, this is serious fun. Good luck to you in your next event :)

Backroad driving is not nearly as hard on a car as autocrossing. You probably will be just fine but I like to find a big open empty parking lot and really abuse the car....extreme hard acceleration, turning, and braking sessions , to see if anything is gonna break. Last time I did this, I broke a motor mount and the fan then damaged the radiator. I was able to fix it in time for the actual event. Better to break it before than during.

You are beyond doomed: It is a neuro-biological-socio-economic fact that autocrossing leads to the "hard stuff" (like HPDE events and wheel-to-wheel racing).

Did you hear a loud "whooooooooosh" sound? That was the sound of your spare time, cash and sanity rushing past you and forever leaving your universe...

You are beyond doomed: It is a neuro-biological-socio-economic fact that autocrossing leads to the "hard stuff" (like HPDE events and wheel-to-wheel racing).

Did you hear a loud "whooooooooosh" sound? That was the sound of your spare time, cash and sanity rushing past you and forever leaving your universe...

LOL, I started right with HPDE in a customer's 350 whp EVO VIII. Nothing like blowing past brand new M3's and C5's in straights and corners. However, it sucks getting stuck behind someone with ~130 whp and no mirror, apparently. Mid-Ohio is a nice course. :-)

They're right; you're hooked and screwed. Learn to manage it is all I can say. Road racing is tricky because it's expensive just to keep up with the consumables; let alone improving performance.