HybridZ

whatkind of Welded Differential lsd to install

the z

hi,

i have a 1979 280zx and i heard that thers a Welded Differential

you can install on the z car and it makes both tires in the rear work together we call this (( 2 shift )) and you call it lsd Differential

and is it true that a Subaru LSD can be welded and installed on the 280 zx cars ..?? and is it the one called Welded Differential ...??

if so i need picturers of that Subaru LSD and what model is it like what year is this Subaru LSD .

thanks

well then your answer is yes.

with welding and skill anything can be put on or in any car.

I think you shouod also spend some time on wikipedia.com to see how some of your general automotive systems work. Such as terms like "welded diff" and "Limited slip".

Word of advice for this site: Use the search feature and then ask questions based upon what you read. They do not take kindly to not using the search feature and misspelling of words. Being new does not usually gain much sympathy from the Admins. Good luck with your Z project.

Welding a diff refers to "welding" the spider gears in an open differential. Installing a subaru differential should not involve "welding" the diff. You might have to weld in some mounts to make it work.

Welded diff is a term- not something you buy and install

thank all for your posts

but what i understand now that i can weld a Subaru LSD in a datsun 280zx and thats what i read here becuase its the only way to install an Subaru LSD diff in tha 280zx is this right..?

and i searched the forum and fuond a lot of info but my english is not that good.

Hello. I am not sure if you understand what the other posters are trying to tell you. But since you are having difficulty searching, I will try my best to explain what is meant by a welded diff as I have one of my own. If you have a 280zx chances are you have a strong enough diff to weld. You weld your diff by disassembling it, and literally welding with a welder the spider gears together and if possible the spider gears to the carrier and in my case I also welded the retaining pin to the carrier. This is a modification that will strengthen your diff and lock your axles so they may rotate together at the same speed all the time. This modification can be performed on any diff. Good luck.

• Administrators

the z,

There is no point in welding any LSD diff. On its own, an LSD is a 'tractive aid'.

You can weld a stock diff, usually inexpensively... http://www.hyper-productions.net/pics/diff.html

Either of these choices will get you closer to the effect you're looking for. It's time for you to snuggle up with our search engine, and Google as well...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125970

http://www.google.com

Happy reading.

• Administrators

I know we are strong headed regarding getting the new members to search etc, and in this instance, I agree 100%, much of the info is available in searching. Yet for some reason, I see the bigger issue here is the language barrier and the lack of understanding regarding the differences between an Open Diff, an LSD, and welded spider gears. I am feeling more compelled to help span the language barrier and help educate Mr the z on those diffs and even links to specifics where applicable, which would probably give him the tools he needs to more effectively use the search engine to his advantage. :wink: Problem for me right now is my schedule just got much busier for the next 5-7 days or so, i.e. I don’t have the usual time available to dedicate to a BRAAP novel.

Would you guys be so kind and help get this gentleman on board with what the different diffs are, how they react, pros and cons of each, why it makes sense to weld an open diff vs an LSD, etc?

Dammit Paul, making us all be considerate and open-minded. Whats wrong with you.

I'm not going to write a novel, as that would probably be difficult to read. Just very broad statements follow:

thez,

Differentials fall into three categories:

1. Open

2. Limited slip

3. Locked

You can make an open diff locked by welding it, which is very cheap.

You don't weld a limited slip or locked diff as they are already driving both wheels.

Chances are you have an open diff at the moment. You can weld your existing diff to make it locked.

If you want a LSD diff, some Subaru diffs will work, but you'd need to do more research on which precise one. Research means search.

I hope my English was understandable. If not, private message me and I'll try to clarify.

Dave

C'Mon, it's an ESL situation here.

This makes at least TWO Z-Cars that are running around Kuwait that I know of...

This brings me great pleasure!

There is a 260Z 2+2 in Oman, a guy with a 280ZX Turbo in Abu Dhabi, and now TWO guys in Kuwait with Z-Cars for me to visit when I go there!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

I have to also say his English is far better than my ANYTHING ELSE!

Hopefully you are getting what you need The Z. PM Me with some contact information, and if I travel to Kuwait for business, as much as possible I will contact you for a 'wish list' of things to bring with me that are hard for you to get locally. I already have an L28 in an ABS tube for 'The Other' Z running around Kuwait!

Just pray for KNPC to give my company a call, and make sure they ask for "Tony D out of the Los Angeles Office"