HybridZ

How do you "motivate" your body man?

dsommer

The guy I've hired to do the body work on my car is dragging his azz.

He's had the car for over 6 weeks no and hasn't touched the car. I know price, quality, service pick 2 as the old saying goes.

I'm getting a bit discouraged at this point, I handed him a media blasted car, ready to go to body work. I met with him Saturday night and gave him $100 Lowes gift card to get materials, bolts, nuts, misc items, etc.

I just want to keep moving forward on this darn thing and am getting discouraged at this point. The price he quoted me for labor was very reasonable but other "projects" keep jumping in front of my car.

Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be apperciated.

Thanks,

David

Try to figure out why he puts those "other" projects in front of yours.

Quicker jobs, faster pay.

After a few more weeks I would start looking for another shop. Unless he gives you a damn good reason for the delays. Is this guy a friend of yours or did someone tell you about him?

Six weeks is unacceptable, I would make it look as tho I was taking the car elsewhere.And I dont mean just telling him, show up unanounced ( best done on a sat. ) with a trailer and see what he say's. His reaction will tell you if he really wants the work. If he does, he's more likely to "make" time for your car,if not, he wont mind you taking it away. They dont call it "paint jail " for nothing.Good luck.

I throw more money at him...I told my guy that I got the rest of the payment burning a hole in my pocket....maybe offer a bonus to get it done sooner. I got a car in the same prison as you do, so I understand. I went up to see the shop that is doing my work on Saturday, I bribed him with a 1/2 case of beer and told of the hole burning, he understood, also offered to pay for the rollcage, frame rails and body re-enforcements being welded in. His eyes lite up and he said he would get my car back in the shop to get on it right away. MONEY TALKS.

I would take it somewhere else right away, otherwise it will just drag on and on. Find someone who is hungry and will start right away. Sounds like he is not really interested in it if has been 6 weeks.

I second this from experience.

My '82 v8 280zx has been in the bodyshop for 2 years now coming this June. I don't understand why. They're charging me full price, but I think it's all the custom work I'm having them do (ie not just molding a body kit and painting the car). Although I miss the hell out of that car, I see it as free storage while I can finish my other projects.

My '83 280zxt - I've given to a painter through a friend of a friend that I was supposed to do bartering work for. I held up on my end, but then he fell through, so he passed the burden to the guy that has the car right now. I gave it to him with most body work completed and the car stripped down - just needed it painted. It's been 7-8 months.

My '77 280z 2+2 - When I lived in Victoria a few years ago, one of the body guys at the dealership I worked at was also a Z guy, and work was slow so he offered to paint my car for cheap. Any time there's any work done to it, it's because I drove 3 hours away from here to work on it myself. He's had it for close to 5 years now.

I'm going to be paying an arm and a leg for the bodywork on my widebody project, so hopefully that won't drag on. Plus, I set out a payment system with the body guy. I will pay him on monthly increments as long as I'm seeing a decent amount of progress. For example, $1000 down, and then increments of $1250 as he works on it. Maybe that could be an idea for you?

Monthly installments is a good idea. I spent a fair amount of time as a tech contractor, and that's one way to keep work moving. Make sure he knows that you don't expect everything to be done all of a sudden, you just want consistent progress. If he wants these other jobs that are quicker/easier, he doesn't actually need your business and you should go elsewhere (even if it costs you more). Ask him if he knows anyone who can start work on it immediately, get some quotes, and if all else fails, I would just show up with a trailer unannounced.

All good ideas.

I know he's had some "unexpected" family events that took him out of town (2 extended family members passed away one in CO and one in TX). He's not a shop, just a one man show working out of a garage. He was refered to me as being able to to excellent work, the price per hr. he is charging me is very reasonable.

I'll see if some cash is a motivator for him to kick it into gear. Yeah, I know they don't call it paint jail for nothin'.

IMHO, a little honesty goes a long way. Show up and just ask him what's up. Tell him you your concerned about how long it's taking him. Just be cool about it....six pack of beer would help ;). Don't push the guy by showing up with your trailer unannounced, then expect the guy to do a great job after you've basically threatened him (Don't piss off the people serving your food, taking care of your children, or doing work on your car!!!). Looks to me like you've got a couple choices. Be up front with him and see what's up. If he can't get to it in the time frame you've expected then hunt for another body guy... simple as that.

and do not throw money at him. After the honesty approach, show up from time to time and ask to see how it is progressing. Ask him how it is going, what problems has he run into, and what is next step.

He will get the message you want to see something started and finished. Throwing money at them takes away the incentive as the money will get spent and they see no pay off at the end of the project.

One time I had a vehicle in the bodyshop and the guy was dragging his ass. Once the vehicle was done it was gonna be my daily driver. I was in between cars and a friend let me drive their old car indefinatly, it was very nice of them but the car was a fugly POS and I just wanted my car out of the shop. One day I went in there and said ok look.. I have two weeks more with my "loaner car" and then my friend needs it back. (this of course was BS) but I told him that in two weeks I will be without a car and at the moment I have the cash to pay you. However if I don't get it in two weeks I will be forced to buy something to get me around. At that point I will no longer have the cash to pay you....

Somehow he managed to have the vehicle ready for me in two weeks. :D

Johnc's advice is,( Try to figure out why he puts those "other" projects in front of yours). is the better course of action. I've been around for a long time and have had my share of situations that needed improvement. Tossing money at problems normally will not make them go away.

Try to figure out why he puts those "other" projects in front of yours.

Im sure he is churning out those insurance claims.

Have a open discussion with him and try to establish a timeline and objectives...with payment schedules for completed work.

I had the same problem many years ago. Bottomline is our well priced jobs are not their money makers..they are their time fillers. . Thats the reality. I use to go in 3 times a week to psh my guy along. THREE TIME a minimum.

Now if we had enough money to hire a restoration shop rather than a body repair shop...the story would be different.

Be patient...dont give up. Its all part of the game.