HybridZ

Rips RB Custom Oil Pan Arrived Today

I received my custom powder coated sump, made by Rips in NZ today. It's a definite work of art, and I'm confident my oil pressure drop during braking, will now cease.

I have a alum Thagard pan, which is a nice piece to base from, but I failed to set up the sump portion of it properly, causing oil pressure drop on braking. I saw a example of Rob's work when member gmac708 posted pics of his pan being fabbed by Rips, so I went ahead and bit the bullet and had mine made.

My pan is some what of a out of the ordinary design, due to the fact I am using a fitting off the Greddy oil pump I'm using, to make it external pick up. This way, my pick up tube exits the side of the pan (AN-12) then connects to the pump under the air con bracket to pull the oil from the pan.

Below is some pic's of my new Rips pan.
CLICK EM

kodac0062245412.th.jpg

th_kodac0072266321.jpg

th_kodac0052232604.jpg

th_Joels240zoilpan003.jpg

th_Joels240zoilpan002.jpg

th_Joels240zoilpan008.jpg

th_Joels240zoilpan010.jpg

th_Joels240zoilpan011-1.jpg 

kodac0102315623.th.jpg

th_Kodac005.jpg

Thanks Rob!!
Contact Rips is interested in a custom RB pan.
e-mail rips@inspire.net.nz
www.ripsracing.com

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
dead pic url Added pics

That is a great looking oil sump! Looks like oil pressure drop under braking, conering or anything short of being upside down will be stopped or at least brought down to a bare minimum! =)

Your setup is similar to mine, I too have a Greddy/Trust oil pump with a -12 fitting installed for an external pick-up. Right now my sump is a 200zr sump with a Moroso oil pick-up welded inside.

How many quarts is your new R.I.P.S. sump supposed to hold? Would you mind divuldging the price? It may be something id be looking at picking up.

Great sump and great car.

I finally got the RIPS custon oil pan installed, and got a few pics while it was up on jack stands, waiting on a couple fittings to arrive from Summit.

I did not get a shot once all the hoses were hooked up, but it is completed. I drove it around a bit, testing the results of how well it holds oil pressure while under decel, and acceleration.

It absolutely performs flawless!! It holds oil pressure under every condition I could throw at it. I'm 100% satisfied with the results of the sump!!
Thanks R.I.P.S.
You guys rip! :2thumbs:

kodac0045261497.th.jpg

kodac0034979252.th.jpg

kodac0024971750.th.jpg

kodac0055646842.th.jpg

what do you think the reason for the thagard pan's starvation issue was, based on how you set up the pickup and all that jazz, what do you think you did incorrectly.

this would be good to learn from for ppl deciding to have a go at it.

what do you think the reason for the thagard pan's starvation issue was, based on how you set up the pickup and all that jazz, what do you think you did incorrectly.

I had to much wide open area around the -12 screened pick up fitting inside the rear corner of the pan.

If I would have wanted to make the Thaggard pan work properly, I would just add a round oil containing device, made up like R.I.P.S. and most others do. Even with the trap door on my previous pan, the oil was able to move forward, away from the pick up, un restricted (with out a container around the pick up) which allowed the oil pressure to drop off until the momentium changed again moving the oil rearward toward the pick up fitting.

That pan could be touched up by a welder to work great. I just did not have any oil pan sumping experience when I received it bare, with nothing on the inside... :redface:

• 7 months later...

Digging up a old post.

To me, this would help alot with the oil containment. My pan had to large of area around the P/U.

img46876878215.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...