HybridZ

How do you clean your shop floor?

waddiejohn

I like to keep my shop pretty clean and to that end I mop it once or twice per week. There is always a dull film on it however and it looks dirty. It is a painted concrete floor and I mop it using Simple Green or the Zep purple stuff and sometimes just plan water. Results is always the same after it drys.

The film wipes off, but it is a 1200 square foot shop and I'm not going to wipe it by hand. So, I'm just curious how others do it or am I just too picky.

Thanks for any replys I might receive.

Waddie

I never have an empty garage to clean, there's alway some project going on. That's the trick at least. As long as you sweep up and remove anything hazardous, just keep the projects coming along and you won't notice it's dirty. ;)

I get the boy to use Tide.

It works like mad to degrease the floor, and rinses clean.

Learned that trick working at McDonalds. You wanna talk about a GREASY floor?

When we took over a distributor in Milpitas, the floor was unsealed concrete looked TERRIBLE and the resident 'technicians' wouldn't clean it because 'It was a machine shop before, and you can't get the oil out of the floor, it weeps every time the humidity comes up.' It was a dull sheen that would get humidity droplets on it like the floor was 'weeping water' from the slab, but it was just that the surface was oil-sealed and the water just beaded up. Got slippery as hell, and that was unacceptable.

One weekend, with nothing to do (need a life?) I set upon the thing with a couple boxes of Tide Detergent and a mop/brush. Swabbed it and let it sit. Worked it in with a brush. Added more. After about a day of sitting there and working it, I hosed it all into the bay...

Guess what? White Concrete Floor. Epoxy coated that next weekend!

Powdered or Liquid (Concentrated)Laundry Soap is really good if you can get it on, wet, and let it soak. DON'T let it dry out, keep it wet, and move it around every once and a while. Drinking beer during this time makes for good entertainment...

Once it's sealed, then you can use a lot less detergent, and they rinse clean and clear 'squeaky clean'.

Were I to do it again, I'd swab more, let it sit, and then go at it with a Zero-Degree Pressure Washer Nozzle, or a Steam Jenny rather than scrubbing with a broom.

That's why I paint/seal my concrete! Cleanup is a snap.

Curiously, the weekend after I painted the floor, the alarm went off at 3AM on a Saturday evening (Sunday AM) and the boss called me to go check it out since he was in Chicago, and I was in the Holiday Inn two exits down... Got there to find one of our techs tweaking like crazy, and had removed EVERY tool from his service body truck, laid them on the freshly painted floor in rows (I WISH I could have taken a photo!) and he was methodically wiping them all down and muttering to himself over and over about how he 'didn't have time during the week and my tools needed to be cleaned' Ahhh, O.K. My lack of a life suddenly didn't seem so bad. "Bob, Chris is out in the shop cleaning his tools..."

The reply: "Uh...O.K. just stay there till he's done, and make sure it's locked up when he leaves. Oh, and get his key from him!"

Thanks, Bob! If I'd never cleaned and painted the floor...

A clean floor does invite that kind of thing, you know! LOL

Its painted, heated, lots of windows looking over yard and beautiful gardens. Vacuum, light dusting, few times a year wipe down. I don't keep it too clean as I like to have a place where the kids and I can do no wrong with projects. Lately it has the characteristic smell of a classic 75 year old garage with the strong overtones of 90W and gasoline mostly due to a recent differential swap and track day. This evening I went out and worked on resetting the carb for our much lower altitude events. Started it up, purred like a tiger. Ahhhhh, dust, oil, burnt gasoline. I inhaled deeply..... and loved it.

When I worked at BMW and Honda I used to take kitty litter or oil dri absorbant granules, spread them over an oil slick soaked in the concrete, and then grind the powder into the concrete with a brick. This really soaks the oil out of the concrete.

Kitty litter works really well. We use it for any oil spots. Pour some on and then rub it in with your foot. no more spot. :] And instead of tossing it when you're done, brush it up and reuse until it gets a nasty color, it will usually keep absorbing.

That dry film is from all the suspended particles I would think. For instance, I had to wipe my car down several times before painting because one wipe would dry and leave residue. If you have a drain in the floor like at our place you can get a water hose and a broom, spray and sweep several times. We don't like using any detergents or chemicals near the cars and we aren't too picky about whether the floor shines or not, just like it to be clean.