HybridZ

Is your datsun worth the work?

83zxowner

I recently baught my first datsun, coming from a very muscle car oriented family as you can imagine my dad isnt very happy with my decision to work on a car with some exstensive body and structural work i e rust in the floors quarters and rails, with it being 26 years old and having 272k miles i dont mind since its basically regular daily driver use over that time. He wants me to sell it or part it out and i think not. keep in mind i am on my own (21) and own my own home. but i am in the process of putting a garage up which he thinks i should be trying to get done first. I understand his point but theres no reason the car cant sit till the garage is done. MY question to everyone is. with all the money you have put into your datsun to make it the way you want it, do you feel it was worth the time and money instead of picking a difforent brand? am i waisting my time on a car with to many miles and to much rust or should i ignore him? Every car i had before that he made me sell i regret doing so to this day. your input would be greatly appreciated.

I come from the same background for the most part. My dad has always had a 68 Firebird that was either being driven, worked on, or parted out. He wasn't really thrilled when I found my car. He wanted me to get something that didn't need any work. I absolutely love my car though. I wouldn't trade my car for anything unless I could sell that something to buy my car back and have more money to put into it. I learned right after getting my car to not even bother trying to keep track of how much work/money you put into it, because it will only be a deterrent. Just my .02.

yeah i can read the numbers. my dad has had camaro's , chevelles, all kinds of stuff. right now we have a model a tudor sedan 2door sitting in the shop right now in pieces. its almost complete with very few rust holes. He says if it was a camaro or mustang or somethin like that he would be fine with it. i guess the only thing that makes me mad is the fact that if i was doin this much work to a camaro with 272k miles on it, it would be worth just as much as the datsun but never close to as unique. you can buy kit camaro's now. why would i want something everyone has ya know. my plans to get the garage finished first and continue the work on the datsun from there. it runs and it drives only problem is you can watch the road pass you by as you do it haha.

I dont think you'll find many people on this site who think their datsun isnt "worth it". Unless they just broke something expensive...:) You bought the car for you right, it sounds like your dad wants you to spend your money on something HE likes.... He can get his own project, and I'm sure he'll come around. People who like working on cars usually enjoy working on anything. Turning a wrench feels the same whether its metric or standard......

As far as the garage though, I agree with your dad. Its easier to setup and organize before your half way through a rebuild project...

one thing i didnt mention is that my dad comes from the world of rebuilding salvage cars and selling them. he wont buy anything if he cant make money off it. the model a is the only exception i can ever think of. big thing i'm waiting on is my tax return for buyin my house. it takes 30-90 days to get so i'm tryin to save up till then. he's giving me a 25x30 behlin steel frame building that he has layin around at the farm. he baught it 7 ish years ago for $500 and its been sitting in pieces ever since then. i just have to get the the wood for inbetween the steel framing and pour the foundation n stuff. concrete is rediculous

QUOTE:" MY question to everyone is. with all the money you have put into your datsun to make it the way you want it, do you feel it was worth the time and money instead of picking a difforent brand?"

IMHO, All cars are a bad investment. Gearheads play with cars because they can and they enjoy it. You can stay at home and watch tv or read a book on the cheep or you can do what turns you on. My advice to you, "If it feels good, go for it".

yeah thats sucks,but im in agreement with everyone else .I come from a MOpar back ground( Hence the name) my friends were like "man what are you doing"?! blah blah etc... Ive had a Z or 2 for the last 20 years so as well as my mopar stuff. If you like it go for it!

In the end, no car is ever worth the time and money that you put into it.

I believe for most people, it is more the love of putting time and money into a car.

If your project ever gets to the point where you are questioning how much time and money are going into it, always just remember to do this because you love to do it. Not because other people think you are making a great investment in a car or restoring a car that they think should be restored.

What I really hate is putting time and money into a car which I know has to be working the next day. I absolutely hate working on my daily drivers unless I know I have an alternative car to drive.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to break from his father's shadows. The father in the end, will respect the son more if he sticks with his guns and follows his convictions with confidence and independence. The knowledge you will have gained rebuilding your car is immeasurable. The satisfaction and joy you will experience is priceless.

Firstly finish the garage so you can enjoy the work .I have played with all sorts of cars and my current ride is a 1979 280zx with a 383 chev and 4 speed auto with a 3.7 r200 diff and I can tell you its well worth it to pusue a dream mine was just break the 13 second in a street legal car blew that away didn't I enjoy your car.

So the other day i was driving down the interstate. A camaro SS got on to the interstate and pulled up beside me. He looked over at me, it was a mid 40's guy that looked like he was going through a mid life crisis. He kind of had a smirk on his face and then floored it. I nonchalantly shifted from 5th to 3rd and got into. He already had like 2 cars on me and i quickly caught up and went flying by him. I then slowed down and got beside him again and he looked shepish and hurt that he just got creamed by a import.

Its moments like that that make me love my car and make it all worth while. But im not gonna lie. I curse my car pretty much daily. Its getting less but it still happens.

I say do what you want. and rust can be repaired.

With the money and time I could have easily bought another serious car...think Porsche 911 Turbo. I have had my '83 ZX Turbo for close to 10years and it has been wonderful and blissful. In that time I have bought and sold 10+ cars and the ZX has always stayed with me through several moves, several jobs, a marriage a ton of relationships, ups and downs.

I rarely drive the car now but ironically every time I waltz into my garage and pull back the cover the car brings a great smile to my face, its a stupide and unexpainable connection I have with the old girl. Looking at it, still makes me feel fortunate that I was lucky to stumble upon the car, rescue it (it was decaying in an alley in Denver), modify it, enjoy it and most importantly make it mine.

It will be 27years old soon, and the car is timeless in design and performance. I have raced some pretty wicked cars with it and I have taken down some quick cars and also had my ass handed to me, but its fun at the end of the day and once again its mine.

I hope to keep enjoying my ZX in good health for a long time to come.

No regrets...and no remorse from my camp.

Yasin

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to break from his father's shadows. The father in the end, will respect the son more if he sticks with his guns and follows his convictions with confidence and independence. The knowledge you will have gained rebuilding your car is immeasurable. The satisfaction and joy you will experience is priceless.

Well put.

You bought it cause you like it. Is that not what your supposed to do?

Besides, not many cars are even close to being all USA.

Although Saturn may be with the new purchase.

I rarely get to drive my car, I have put at least 3 times what I paid for it in parts, and I'm at a slump where I can't afford anything. Yet everytime I walk outside and see her, I smile. I sit in her and have conversations(yes I am a little car crazy).

So to me, it's worth it. My Z makes me happy.

I rarely get to drive my car, I have put at least 3 times what I paid for it in parts, and I'm at a slump where I can't afford anything. Yet everytime I walk outside and see her, I smile. I sit in her and have conversations(yes I am a little car crazy).

So to me, it's worth it. My Z makes me happy.

and i thought i was the only one that did that! i would like eveone else says fix the garage then fix the car (every car needs a home so get to building it...lol), my z has been down for a month and everytime i think its over POW i got another fix to do.... i love my z. i think youll love it just the same once you start putting the elbow grease to it and your pops he'll come around. remember this is your journey with your car chart your on destiny with it!

i come from a mixed background from working on my dads old mustang 5.0 notchback and my friends el camino and mustang 5.0 hatchback, and also working a lot on my old beetles as well as a bunch of hippies Volkswagens. I have to say that as much as you work on your car, it will almost never be perfect unless you lower your expectations or spend every penny you have and buy headers instead of food (thats me, i eat cup noodles every night now:mrgreen:). I personally love my z, the main thing for me when buying it was reliability as well as the performance it offers. While my car isn't exactly a rocket, it will be one day and thats enough to keep me throwing money at it.

congrats on buying a z and trust me with a little work you'll see its worth it. You should probably get your garage built first, speeking from experience.