HybridZ

New to the World of Z cars (Bought a 240Z pic's inside)

I am the proud new owner of a 1970 240Z:laugh::laugh:. I paid $1800 for it.

1970 240Z

4 Speed manual

Mileage: 78K

Interior: Black in decent condition

SU Carbs

Headers and Custom exhaust

Snyder Cams

RUST:

Surface Rust on Frame Rails

Rust on Front Fenders

Rust on Rear Fenders

Battery Tray has some rust

OTHER REPAIRS:

Rear passenger brake slave cylinder needs new O-rings

Windshield and Weather stripping needs to be replaced.

P1010137.jpg

P1010141-1.jpg

P1010142-1.jpg

P1010143-1.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010166.jpg

What exactly are you referring too?

I want to make sure i don't damage anything rare on the car while i am restoring it.

Well, let's start with the rear hatch and the defroster lines that run vertical, then you most likely have a knob on your gas door, and your side vent emblems behind the rear side windows.

Thems are the rare parts. :) I am sure that there are more.

logan1: Looks as though you got a good one. Just be smart and gentle about pulling it apart when restoring it and little damage will be done. Suggest cleanup and use Rust Bullet on the rusty spots. I have an early 1971 and your center console is the same as mine. I am in the process of rebuilding and modifying it. First took care of all the neglect. Now it runs and drives fine. Next proceed with the Mods.

If you need help just shout on Hybrid Z forum and you will get all the answers you need.

Well, let's start with the rear hatch and the defroster lines that run vertical, then you most likely have a knob on your gas door, and your side vent emblems behind the rear side windows.

As stated above, the vertical defroster lines aren't all that rare, since all '70, '71 240z had them, as well has '72 240z's built in or before 12/71. The hatch vents, and side emblems are only found on series 1 cars, so you could say they're rare. The knob on the gas door isn't really rare, it's found on all '70 and '71 cars. Depends what you call rare, I guess.

Some other parts that are only found on the series 1 cars (like yours), are the steering wheel, dash (glove box lock is different from later '71 dashes), I believe the map light, seats (I think), and depending on the build date/VIN of your car, could be quite a few other parts.

Logan1, what is the VIN of your car? Just curious.

kool thanx for the info

Wow. 11154 is a pretty low production number. I think the rule of thumb is that anything under 9k is better off being sold to a collector, but I'd say you're borderline. Like most of us though, I'm sure you'll have it torn apart and purring with some engine that "doesn't belong in a Japanese car".

Welcome to Hybridz! Looking forward to seeing more of this car, and get those currently minor rust issues sorted out before they become serious!

Wow. 11154 is a pretty low production number. I think the rule of thumb is that anything under 9k is better off being sold to a collector, but I'd say you're borderline. Like most of us though, I'm sure you'll have it torn apart and purring with some engine that "doesn't belong in a Japanese car".

Welcome to Hybridz! Looking forward to seeing more of this car, and get those currently minor rust issues sorted out before they become serious!

On classiczcars.com, it seems the rule of thumb is if it's a series 1, it should be left stock. But this is HybridZ, so that doesn't really apply here ;).

My thoughts are more or less that cars under ~8k should be left more or less alone, condition pending, and series 1 cars in general shouldn't be hacked up too much. Just my personal opinion. That said, I'll probably end up putting an RB into my series 1, which is #17955.

11154 is a pretty low production number, but it was a lot higher than I expected for a '70. From what I've seen a VIN that high would be titled as a '71.

Logan1, that looks like a pretty nice, clean, early car to start with. Good luck with it. Do you know what you want to do with it?

Logan1, that looks like a pretty nice, clean, early car to start with. Good luck with it. Do you know what you want to do with it?

I wanted a good looking British sports car that handled like a dream but being that i am 6'5" tall i could not fit into any of them...So i tried the Z cars and they have plenty of room; are just as good looking and are easier/cheaper to maintain.

For the most part i plan to keep the car stock. I want to fix the rust and I want to upgrade the suspension and the brakes. I bought a book called "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car - by Wick Humble" on amazon.

If you guys have any advice as to how i should go about upgrading the brakes and suspension please do share.

I wanted a good looking British sports car that handled like a dream but being that i am 6'5" tall i could not fit into any of them...So i tried the Z cars and they have plenty of room; are just as good looking and are easier/cheaper to maintain.

For the most part i plan to keep the car stock. I want to fix the rust and I want to upgrade the suspension and the brakes. I bought a book called "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car - by Wick Humble" on amazon.

If you guys have any advice as to how i should go about upgrading the brakes and suspension please do share.

Go through the stickies in the brake and suspension forum. There's one that discusses a lot of the popular brake upgrades. Another discusses struts, etc. Lots of good info there. If you still have questions, do a search - you should be able to find the answer to your question. A lot of topics/subjects have been covered here.

You got a great deal and you are in the right place for what you are looking for. There is a lot of knowledge floating around here these guys know these cars like there kids. But the best way to learn is to search search search and learn on your own... GOOD LUCK.

Michez

nice find!

keeping it stock will cost you a grip, since series 1 parts are ridiculous expensive compare to series 2. i also have a 70 and i dont plan on leaving it stock at all. it's going to put on fender flares, lower it, rb-r, and turbo motor. like rtubor-930 said, keeping it stock does not apply here on hbz. my best advice would be, do what makes you happy. not others.

rare blah blah blah.. it is an old car just like the rest of our old cars that are so much fun to drive!! for $1800.00 that is not bad at all. I would have picked it up no problem. at least the person that sold it to you didn't try to make a small fortune off of you, some people like to think that their Z car's are so rare and collectible trying to get 2-3k for a beat down 260Z with the story of how you can't even find parts for this car cause it was 1 of 10 Z cars brought in for Kernel Sander's to race in the KFC 500. LOL just having some fun!!

Edited by two40zjunky
changed ten to 10.