HybridZ

Opinions on a 4-door daily driver.

trwebb26

Gonna have my first baby here in October - so my 2-door truck is gonna go to make way for the car seat. I COULD spend as much as $25K but I don't want to spend more if I find something that fits all of the criteria. My F150 has been a drag to drive (bleh power - hard to park - terrible handling - BIG). The criteria (in no particular order).

-4 doors and enough room for a baby seat

-Reliable

-Fun

-Reasonably safe (I don't need airbags - just no death traps).

-Less than $25K

I'm considering several things. A trailblazer ss with the LS2. An old cherokee modded up with a new V8. An older WRX STI (the new body style is terrible). A new "smaller series" 4-door truck. While I like the potential of an evo... I had a 99' eclipse and it was a POS so I don't think I want another DSM.

Anybody have some suggestions for a good ride?

Gonna have my first baby here in October - so my 2-door truck is gonna go to make way for the car seat. I COULD spend as much as $25K but I don't want to spend more if I find something that fits all of the criteria. My F150 has been a drag to drive (bleh power - hard to park - terrible handling - BIG). The criteria (in no particular order).

-4 doors and enough room for a baby seat

-Reliable

-Fun

-Reasonably safe (I don't need airbags - just no death traps).

-Less than $25K

I'm considering several things. A trailblazer ss with the LS2. An old cherokee modded up with a new V8. An older WRX STI (the new body style is terrible). A new "smaller series" 4-door truck. While I like the potential of an evo... I had a 99' eclipse and it was a POS so I don't think I want another DSM.

Anybody have some suggestions for a good ride?

how about a 80-83 nissan maxima......sedan or stationwagon

put a built l28 turbocharged in it, have a fast grocery getter....let's say 400-450 rwhp.

all this for under $10k

I used to think station wagons were lame but when subaru decided to make one with a turbo charged boxer engine and a stick shift I began to change my mind. A lightly used forester makes a great family car. Very reliable, roomy, quick and often found under 25k.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny - I was in the same place a few months ago - looked at the Charger R/T and the G8 GXP - no one wanted to deal at the dealers.

Ended up with the same year, make, model and color car that SR240Z is selling : http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=149957

Except mine cost more and has only 42000 miles on it, lowered, exhaust, chipped :)

I bought my wife a new '06 Mazda 3 hatch. It replaced a '95 Suburban. She loves it for the gas mileage and the ease of driving/parking. It's big enough for our family of four and the groceries. Anything bigger we take the truck.

It's "her car" but I sneak out with it whenever I get the chance because it's such a blast to drive. This thing is really quick with the 2.3l four and handles better than anything I've ever owned. It's so easy to drive fast it makes a hack like me look like a rally pro.

In the three years we have owned it the only problem was the CD player died. Mazda replaced it under warranty in one day.

If I roll it into the river tonight pretending to be Ken Block I'd buy a new one tomorrow. Well, maybe an '08. I don't think I could drive the new model with that bid stupid grin on it's face. (Looks like this > :D)

Guest Rolling Parts

It's a buyers market and $25K will buy a lot.

I'd stay away from either Nissan or GM (Government Motors).

Since the time has come to be a grown up; I'd suggest Camry. Seriously, you won't have extra time/money to spend on fixing and modding when you need very reliable and safe transportation to get places with a family.

(PS> nothing says that you can't have a cheap/fun/unreliable project car on the side for weekend fun!).

i have an 08 legacy gt sedan (nice facelift over the 05-07)....i freakin love that car...just got to our destination after a ~450 mile trip....i'm excited for the return trip just cause i like to drive it...and i've had it a couple months shy of 2 years. it's pretty quick, awd, handles well, good on gas,(crusin 75-80 i can get ~31-32mpg,much larger back seat than 2.5, wrx, sti, looks more grown up but still a lot of fun.

What!? no Nissans?

02-09 Altima is a very nice car. I had an 03 with the 3.5. Very roomy, easy to drive, huge trunk, and excellent rear seating. Handles and brakes very well, and with the v6...will hand most other cars theirs a$$es.

I currently have an 09 sentra, and an 08 versa. Both nice to drive and very roomy.

Scott.